Maitake or yours?

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by kc rm hunter, Sep 10, 2013.

1. kc rm hunter

kc rm hunter Morel Connoisseur

It's gettin close folks,and even though we are 5" plus behind in rainfall (here in the KC region)they WILL be here.Mother nature proved that to me last year....just a little more walkin is all.GOOD LUCK !!!!!!
    I think youins in the southern part of the state will have an abundance!!!!!
    Veronica..........please take pics!!!! :)

2. scott c

scott c Morel Connoisseur

Look early and often KC RM Hunter, people I know including myself are walking up to 2 week, too old hens, in SW and Central Ohio, tricked by an early cool spell and horrid droughtlike conditions. Fortunately it rained today and is going to cool off and none of my "local" trees have fruited yet, checked them all twice or more over the past 2 weeks. Vacation was great for looking at henless oaks but did document one on ash with Julie, check a couple pages back on Ohio message board for video. Turned Latt on to his first lobster find labor day in the middle of this mess, 75% were fresh. :roll:

3. kc rm hunter

sounds like great advise Scott!!!!! They are saying rain here next week.......I so hope they are right!!!Congrates on the Hens!!!!

4. vibrantenergies

vibrantenergies Morel Connoisseur

Well after the incredible success for me with chanterelle hunting early this Summer, the late Summer has been the opposite! There has been no rain for a couple weeks now and the fungus is non-existent! KC, I hope those forecasts are correct for next week though! The last shrooms I was finding were ringless honeys, and a lot of them at that! Usually thre regular honeys are right behind them, but not this year! Now it's cooling down and Fall is almost upon us, so all we need is some RAIN and we're in business~ Corals, bluets, honeys, hens and chicks - GET READY!!

5. kc rm hunter

Good luck vibrant energies!!!!Nothing like the earthy smell of a fresh Maitakes to bring in the fall!!!!
    don't know how I did without them all those years!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxVlN-LzIks

6. pedro

pedro Morel Connoisseur

KC, it is good to see you, still posting.

7. kc rm hunter

Thanks Pedro,great to see some old regulars on here such as myself.I learned more on this board than any other through the years....from seasoned hunters like you and several others,and met some great people in the process!!! :)

8. veronica

veronica Morel Connoisseur

I have found a few polypores as of late, reishi, chickens , and some black staining maitake wanabee's.
    Oh and Inonotus dryadeus (yummy)

On a "normal year" ...mid October would be prime time for several choice edibles in my area. And all signs point to a normal fall.
    Fingers crossed of course !!

9. kc rm hunter

Sounds good Veronica....I'm a believer and had 1/2 inch of rain this morning....WOO HOO!!!!!!! :-0

10. kc rm hunter

No Hens my way,a few other mushrooms.......Jacks,Meadows,and a high roost Chicken :-/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  11. scott c

scott c Morel Connoisseur

Nice KC RM Hunter about the same boat as me nice the agaricus fruited here breifly, cheching hen trees exery 3 days, no egg are laid.

12. kc rm hunter

Should be any day now Scotty....rains tomorrow hopefully,will send them your way after they pass through here to help with your Maitake season :) Hope it's a good one for you buddy!!!!!

13. sustainable forager

sustainable forager Morel Enthusiast

definitely a weird end of summer/early fall, really getting anxious to get on them hens, but mother nature just wont fork over any water!

14. veronica

I found three today and plan on more tomorrow.
    The season has begun in the southern part of the state.

15. vibrantenergies

Hey Veronica, what area are you in? I'm hoping to use your location to gauge the most likely time for hens in my woods, which are in South Central MO.

16. veronica

I am in Southern central Mo.
    Hens should be up weather it rains or not as they feed moisture off the deep Oak roots to grow.
    Its time to look IMO
    Good luck!!

17. vibrantenergies

So
    I had my post disappear again!!!

V - I live in South Central MO also, about 25 miles South of Rolla. Thanks for the moisture info, I like to learn details like that as much as possible.

18. kc rm hunter

Hens have just started this week in the KC area as well :)

19. kc rm hunter

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  20. pedro

pedro Morel Connoisseur

Good eyes!!!!