May 23rd, 2019. Aurora County Finds

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by shroomdeli2, May 24, 2019.

1. shroomdeli2

shroomdeli2 Young Morel

Had a nice day in Aurora County! A lime for scale in the pictures. Some absolute monsters were a day or two old, everything smaller was fresh! Didn't go out prepared, had to use a plastic shopping bag to carry.

Attached Files:

2. AC Morel

AC Morel Young Morel

I would have thought it was too late for morels at that elevation. We’re you by a stream and in cottonwoods?

3. shroomdeli2

shroomdeli2 Young Morel

Yep, Cottonwoods by a stream. It was a nice cool microclimate. I've been having a lot of small finds (1-2 morels) all around Denver and Aurora that have all been too old/dry to eat. I've basically have been searching for spots for next year.

However, after the snow and rain early in the week, I had hopes for one more flush. With that over, now I assume it's time to move up in elevation. I'm from Michigan and this is my first year in Colorado and I'm super happy with the season so far! It's been a blast learning new terrain!

4. AC Morel

AC Morel Young Morel

Thanks for the info. I am in Steamboat Springs and haven’t seen any although I have heard some were found just before the snow up higher. I thought I was too late down low but maybe we will need to look again when it starts to warm up. Was the grass grown up quite a bit? We have fairly tall grass now in the cottonwoods.

5. shroomdeli2

shroomdeli2 Young Morel

Yeah, I would keep looking as it warms up. Although Michigan is flat as a pancake and a completely different environment than Colorado, I'm a firm believer that individual microclimates can produce morels when we least expect them, particularly late in the season. Streams and well-shaded hills can stay much cooler than the surrounding environment.

And yes, the grass was quite high. Most of the smaller ones were hiding under the grass, which I believe was keeping them cool, moist and fresh. Made them harder to spot but even more rewarding.

6. AC Morel

AC Morel Young Morel

Thanks for the info. I am from Missouri and have found quite a few there but so far none here. Hard to get info out of people and just finding the right elevation to look is challenging given the elevation changes here. A lot more microclimate options to search here than in Missouri.

7. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

that tall grass protects them and lets them grow. I always hunt tall grass late in the season.