Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think that is berkleys polipore but you should probably get some more opinions on that im no expert on them but i pick alot of hens up here in mn and that dont look like the hens we have here

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think that is berkleys polipore but you should probably get some more opinions on that im no expert on them but i pick alot of hens up here in mn and that dont look like the hens we have here
Thanks for your input much appreciated. Just trying to learn some more mushrooms.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Those definitely look different. I believe I have seen those as well. I don’t really hunt many mushrooms other than chickens and morels. Just happened to see these while in the woods and was curious. I looked at pics of berkleys polypore and they do look similar.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Those definitely look different. I believe I have seen those as well. I don’t really hunt many mushrooms other than chickens and morels. Just happened to see these while in the woods and was curious. I looked at pics of berkleys polypore and they do look similar.
Those are without a doubt Bondarzewia berkeleyi. Agree with @jg010682. Nice pics, Happy 🍄 Hunting!

·
Registered
65 Posts
You're absolutely right. I used to get them mixed up long, long ago but now it was just writing before thinking. Foot in mouth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone have any idea what these are or were? Not really an expert. Both around and at the base of dead ash tree View attachment 40592 View attachment 40593
Definitely Berkeley's polypore, Bondarzewia
berkeleyi. I collect many hen-of-the-woods/maitake, Grifola frondosa, every fall
(Oct) in KY. It grows on our farm and is my favorite edible mushroom other than morels. Its "caps" are much smaller and thinner than Berkeley's polypore--similar to feathers on a hen (or cock)--thus the name.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts