Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Finally got into a few on Friday. Things are well behind, by 2 weeks or more for most spots. Temps are supposed to dip back down this week so long as we can get some rain, I’m still holding out hope for a strong finish.
Nice finds! I agree with you 100% way behind this year but seems to be picking up just gotta pray for rain.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Well I think we all would agree that we need some rain... It looks like we may see some tomorrow let's hope so..Yesterday I went back to the one I saw 11 days ago with hope there would be more. Just 3 in total . I went on to 2 other spots and just one beat up half free.. This week should be telling as to what kind of year this will be let's hope for an explosion by the end of the week.. good luck to all..
Plant Plant community Botany Vegetation Grass
Wood Sculpture Art Artifact Flooring

·
Registered
236 Posts
Impressive haul. What do you do with them all ?
@Hesseltine32 I eat a lot of them. I give away quite a few to couple elderly folks who can’t get out and some friends. I also have frozen and dehydrated them. Imo freezing them was better. But like anything else they definitely taste better fresh. Needless to say they disappear fast lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
@Hesseltine32 I would have to say they really have to be prime ones. The really large ones tend to fall apart no matter what you do it seems. Honestly best to eat those rather than try to store them. Just my opinion. Maybe someone else knows a better way of storing them. Have heard of people hanging them to air dry instead of dehydrating but I have never tried that method.

·
Registered
236 Posts
@redfred I can’t say I have much of a strategy this year lol. But jokes aside some early spots seem to just be producing but slowly few here and there. One early spot haven’t found any. Was very surprised to find them in the area I did given the way this year has been. Other 2 late spots I have found 0 in one and couple just starting. So guess just keep checking the early spots regularly and hopefully with a little rain maybe the late spots will be good in a week or so. Hard to pin them down this year

·
Registered
176 Posts
@Hesseltine32 I would have to say they really have to be prime ones. The really large ones tend to fall apart no matter what you do it seems. Honestly best to eat those rather than try to store them. Just my opinion. Maybe someone else knows a better way of storing them. Have heard of people hanging them to air dry instead of dehydrating but I have never tried that method.
I hung and dried a small bunch last year with great success. That said, it took about three days for them to get cracker-dry, and that's in a desert climate. I don't imagine y'all would have much success with your humidity out there in Indiana. This year I plan on using a dehydrator - unless I find a ton, in which case I'm drying them outside on my friend's trampoline. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
This can't be good. Double whammy. Low humidity drying winds and freeze warning!

Special Weather Statement until THU 6:15 PM EDT
1 of 3
Action Recommended
Avoid the subject event as per the instructions
Issued By
Baltimore/Washington - MD, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
Northern Baltimore County
Description
...ENHANCED THREAT FOR THE SPREAD OF WILDFIRES THIS AFTERNOON... Minimum relative humidity values will drop to between 20 and 25 percent across much of Maryland, portions of the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia, and portions of northern and central Virginia. Northwest winds will gust frequently between 20 and 30 mph, while the strongest winds will coincide with the lowest relative humidity during the mid to late afternoon hours. Fuel moisture will continue to dry out during this time. The combination of low fuel moisture, low relative humidity, and gusty winds will enhance the threat for the spread of wildfires. Outdoor burning is strongly discouraged during this time. Please refer to your local burn permitting authority on whether you can burn. If you do burn, use extreme caution and ensure fire suppression is readily available.
Freeze Watch from FRI 1:00 AM EDT until FRI 9:00 AM EDT
2 of 3
Action Recommended
Make preparations per the instructions
Issued By
Affected Area
Portions of central, north central and northern Maryland, central, northern, northwest and western Virginia and panhandle West Virginia
Description
...FREEZE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING... ...FREEZE WARNING IS CANCELLED... WHAT...Sub-freezing temperatures as low as 31 possible. WHERE...Portions of central, north central and northern Maryland, central, northern, northwest and western Virginia and panhandle West Virginia. WHEN...From late tonight through Friday morning. IMPACTS...Frost and freeze conditions could kill crops, other sensitive vegetation and possibly damage unprotected outdoor plumbing. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Take steps now to protect tender plants from the cold. To prevent freezing and possible bursting of outdoor water pipes they should be wrapped, drained, or allowed to drip slowly. Those that have in-ground sprinkler systems should drain them and cover above- ground pipes to protect them from freezing.

·
Super Moderator
696 Posts
This can't be good. Double whammy. Low humidity drying winds and freeze warning!

Special Weather Statement until THU 6:15 PM EDT
1 of 3
Action Recommended
Avoid the subject event as per the instructions
Issued By
Affected Area
Northern Baltimore County
Description
...ENHANCED THREAT FOR THE SPREAD OF WILDFIRES THIS AFTERNOON... Minimum relative humidity values will drop to between 20 and 25 percent across much of Maryland, portions of the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia, and portions of northern and central Virginia. Northwest winds will gust frequently between 20 and 30 mph, while the strongest winds will coincide with the lowest relative humidity during the mid to late afternoon hours. Fuel moisture will continue to dry out during this time. The combination of low fuel moisture, low relative humidity, and gusty winds will enhance the threat for the spread of wildfires. Outdoor burning is strongly discouraged during this time. Please refer to your local burn permitting authority on whether you can burn. If you do burn, use extreme caution and ensure fire suppression is readily available.
Freeze Watch from FRI 1:00 AM EDT until FRI 9:00 AM EDT
2 of 3
Action Recommended
Make preparations per the instructions
Issued By
Affected Area
Portions of central, north central and northern Maryland, central, northern, northwest and western Virginia and panhandle West Virginia
Description
...FREEZE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING... ...FREEZE WARNING IS CANCELLED... WHAT...Sub-freezing temperatures as low as 31 possible. WHERE...Portions of central, north central and northern Maryland, central, northern, northwest and western Virginia and panhandle West Virginia. WHEN...From late tonight through Friday morning. IMPACTS...Frost and freeze conditions could kill crops, other sensitive vegetation and possibly damage unprotected outdoor plumbing. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Take steps now to protect tender plants from the cold. To prevent freezing and possible bursting of outdoor water pipes they should be wrapped, drained, or allowed to drip slowly. Those that have in-ground sprinkler systems should drain them and cover above- ground pipes to protect them from freezing.
That really sucks

61 - 80 of 115 Posts