Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Up in Northern VA my area appears to be about a week behind normal. Trees just sprouting now, when typical years Pears and Redbuds are already done blooming. So Id say we are closer to 2 weeks out here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Was in fauquier co this morning and spend a few hours looking but nothings yet. Newer to this and mostly found them in Md. soil on this farm I hunt is a red clay look to it. Anybody know if they will effect them growing there. I found a small patch there two years ago on a oak ridge not the typical poplar sycamore mix where I typically find them. Thought I should find some today but might be a little early still haven’t found any in md yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Went out today to three known spots in Northern VA and nothing after a couple days of rain. Conditions seem pretty close to last years emergence, maybe a few more days.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I found zero today and my neighbor found 1. We are at a high elevation so they should pop this week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I looked for about an hour yesterday here and nothing. Conditions were perfect, but no morels yet. Im thinking still cooler ground temps I guess.... maybe around Friday this week they will show up... tulips just starting to bloom, thats my best timing gauge here in NOVA... so has to be soon...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I looked for an hour today in a good spot and nothing yet. Seems to be a late season. Mayapples just coming out

·
Registered
20 Posts
Found this decent size grey today @ ~1000' elevation in Bedford, a somehow smooshed yellow next to it, and at ~1100' 3-4 small ones about 1" coming through some leaves.
We had mayapple starting last week our elevation and a lot more patches this week after the weekend rain, I think it's getting to be time!
20210412_151422-1.jpg

(also had reports from coworkers of some of their family finding good patches of them now also around Bedford area)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'd say that what you can do is hunt around whatever is left of those root systems of the trees that were taken down by the track loader! You could be in store for a couple of years of mother lodes!

I don't know how long you have been morel hunting, but I think you should have learned this by now. Morels don't really pop in earnest unless they feel threatened. Nothing threatens them like having the tree that they have a mycorrhizal relationship with get knocked down!

There's no way to know how long it will take the root systems of those trees to rot, but as long as they do, they could prompt morels to flush.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nothing when I checked yesterday 2 early spots that were heavy at this time last year in Northern VA. Weird year, bloodroot just coming up but Oaks already leafing out. We've had a lot of moisture last week and cool days/nights this week. I saw a few people post pics from this area on morel sightings map though so hears hoping a few days from now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My better spot had some decent sized ones just starting to pop above the leaves, after this next rain coming up in a few days and temps rising back up I'm expecting it to be pretty much regular season time for the area here. We're a few just popping out of the dirt, still the slightest bit early it seems.

Edit: just saw where it supposed to get down to 35* a few nights next week so who knoooows..

21 - 40 of 42 Posts