1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

mid mo/Callaway county

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by cbmyers22, Apr 13, 2014.

1. cbmyers22

cbmyers22 Morel Enthusiast

I went out Wednesday Thursday and Saturday hills and bottoms by the mo river and nothing yet not even my may apples. I have been hearing of people finding reds/false morels but I haven't seen any. Was wondering if anyone is finding anything. Tomorrows low is 25 so not looking forward to it. Thinking the first week of may and the will be everywhere.

2. treehouse

treehouse Young Morel

I'm in mid-MO as well. Went to a couple of very promising locations over the weekend, including a place that was pretty productive last year. The may apples are definitely opened up in some places here, but the vegetation isn't quite where it usually is when I've found morels. I think it's still a little bit too early. I know some of the maps show that people have spotted morels elsewhere in Missouri, as far north as St. Joseph, but I'm not sure if those are bogus claims or if the vegetation is further along than it is here. It ain't quite time yet.

3. bsweet0424

bsweet0424 Young Morel

I also hunt near Calloway county on the border of Montgomery and Calloway by the lutre river. I went out on Saturday and Sunday. I walked all 300acres and didn't find anything. I have a few honey holes up there and non seemed ready. I am pretty sure that we are about 10 days or so from full fledged shrooming heaven. I'm gonna continue to go about every other day after this cold weather passes.

4. mokid

mokid Morel Enthusiast

I found 7 grey in Mo river bottom last night.

5. ismellshroomies

ismellshroomies Young Morel

I am originally from Illinois, I was actually surprised last year on how dedicated shrooms are to the creek beds around mid mo. I don't think I found more than 10-15 that were more than 20 feet away from a creek. It took me a little bit but I was sure to find em last year. Last nights freeze threw em back a week or so. The weather is going to warm up now though and more rain is coming. sun/rain/sun/rain/sun sun sun sun ohhhh yeah! My hunting will start next week they should be poppin up everywhere, I hope.

6. texayers

texayers Morel Enthusiast

A Callawegian here who on last Friday walked the Mo River and Sunday as well and saw nothing. I even went to the stumps where I found the Reds (which are called Elephant Ears in Mycology) and saw none of those either. Just because I don't trust people and cannot stand trespassing boaters I am going out with my dog in the morning even though it will be cold. I don't want to miss any or get beat to them, I've always found them under cottonwoods when they drop their seeds and that is occurring as we speak. Good luck, if anyone has any tips they would be appreciated.

7. mokid

mokid Morel Enthusiast

ismellshroomies it is not about the creek beds it is about the water run off ditches from ground above that collects the right materials for mushrooms and holds moisture. The cold weather may set season back a day or two keep and eye on soil temp it will come back up quicker than you think. Cold only hurt anything that has already bloomed mushrooms are still in the ground. Cold to warm with ground moisture means POP POP POP mushrooms up. I hunt same places every night I can because I know the mushrooms are going to be there sooner or later. You can't find them if you don't go looking.

8. trdsmn

trdsmn Morel Enthusiast

texayers: You are incorrect sir. "elephant ears", as well as "beef steak", "red mushroom", "brain mushroom", are all slang for genus gyromitra- a toxic "false morel".
    There are many species of gyromitra in Northern hemisphere.
    In the field of mycology they are recognized by the following names:
    Gyromitra ambigua
    Gyromitra brunnea
    Gyromitra bubakii
    Gyromitra californica
    Gyromitra caroliniana (North America)
    Gyromitra esculenta - False morel
    Gyromitra fastigiata
    Gyromitra gigas - Snow morel
    Gyromitra korfii - Possibly a synonym of G. gigas
    Gyromitra montana - North American Snow morel
    Gyromitra infula - Elfin saddle
    Gyromitra leucoxantha
    Gyromitra perlata (source: Wikipedia)
    Enjoy the hunt and good luck

9. texayers

Thank you for the clarification. This is a genus I was unfamiliar with until I moved to the region a few years from the beaches of South Texas. I would like to know what a true Red morel looks like or if it even exists as I know many people who swear by their being edible. I found two last year growing on a stump and the majority of stump growing mushrooms are inedible (other than Lin Chi, Oyster Mushrooms, etc.) Your clarification is appreciated and good luck to you as well.

10. garden

garden Morel Connoisseur

Texayers, I call all the red ugly ones, red ugly ones. My brother and his wife eat them fried. It freaks me out, but they have never gotten sick. They ask me to bring them to them when I find them but between us, I don't. I am afraid they will get ill from them someday. I do know that when you find them it won't be long till you find morels. My son grad. from Mizzou last year and works up there. Great area... Best of luck

11. mokid

mokid Morel Enthusiast

28 more grey's last night. Mushrooms are getting taller nice 1 1/2 - 3 inch tall. The wind really dried the ground yesterday we now need more moisture. Going again tonight. Can't find 'em if your not looking for 'em

12. cbmyers22

Yeah I keep hearing people finding them in the bottoms so im going to go out tonight and do some looking of my own. I'll post my findings later. Good luck everyone time to hit the woods and creeks

13. scarboni007

scarboni007 Morel Enthusiast

Hey Garden where do you suggest going to look in Columbia, MO. I live up here as well and graduated from Mizzou a few years ago. I live right on the MKT trail off of Forum and went out deep in the woods and worked the creek beds and what not last year for 2 weeks straight and didnt find a thing, but i think i went out too late last year. I also have checked Rockbridge State park, but that place is picked like crazy and there are always a lot of people there. I am trying to find a new place to try out this week or next week, but i havent figured out where to go yet. Any help would be appreciated. I did find over a pound and half of smaller greys this last weekend @ Table Rock Lake by the river bottoms all in one spot.

14. cbmyers22

Scarboni007 I haven't really had too much luck along the mkt trail in Callaway either I do find some here and there they're just picked over to much. I find most of mine along creeks that go into the mo river I also prefer lower creeks where boaters cant get to.

15. shroomlover

shroomlover Young Morel

I went out on my place in So. Cole Co. last Friday; found 3 small whites. That got my hopes up and I was sorely disappointed when I went back Sunday and didn't find anything. Am anxious and can't wait to get back out this weekend. After all, those ticks are probably hungry and waiting for me.

16. garden

garden Morel Connoisseur

Hey Scarboni, I am not from Columbia, but I have looked around there a wee bit on visits to my son. I am going to be in some agreement with cbmyers22 and say that along the banks of the rivers and creeks, esp. the south and west facing ones right now would be good, but the prime thing I look for is the dead and dying Elm tree. My favorite areas are these and hillsides over bottom areas with the right tree's here in the Eastern Ozark foothills.
    I used to kayak the Jacks Fork river south of you guys around the Birchtree area and it was really good pickings along the banks/hillsides where the Elms were and so amazingly beautiful. You young guys are doing really, really great already by finding the blacks. It isn't everyone that does. Keep burning that boot leather, studying your trees and learning and you will very soon be master shroomers and we will all be watching you on Youtube...

17. cbmyers22

Just got back from checking one of my spots in the hills and still nothing. The may apples are coming up they are around 6 inches tall. Going to check couple of my spots down in the bottoms along the river Saturday morning.

18. mofarmgirl

mofarmgirl Morel Enthusiast

I found 4 small grays in Fulton (Callaway County). Found two on the 15th and two today (17th). They are small, but edible! I picked the first two I found on the 15th due to the wind drying them out. I'm letting the other two grow more. I've also been down on the river and found nothing (yesterday, the 16th). But I will be going back soon to scope it out again. Haven't found anything in any of my honey holes yet. These grays come up around the same tree every year, and will usually pop on up in the 40 degree nights. Soon after the blondes will start popping up, can't wait! Good luck to all you 'shroomers this year! :lol:

19. mokid

mokid Morel Enthusiast

Found 23 grey and 1 red last night. Total of 58 grey 1 red since Monday. Beer and mushrooms at the neighbors tonight that's right I do share. Then back on the hunt this weekend come on rain and temp next week then the excitement will start. Happy hunting mushrooms or Easter eggs to all.

20. texayers

Mokid,I am so happy, and jealous, for you. I hunt my family's farms in the county and walk the river and creeks which we farm as well and haven't seen hide, nor hair of a morel yet. South Callaway just doesn't seem to be producing yet but the woods are turning green so I'm hoping for the best. However I found a dead armadillo today and being a Texan I can tell you that you will have less of anything edible on the ground with those pesky things around. Are there any animals that dig up the Morels before they pop or am I seeing holes that animals are digging up grubs and worms for. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated by this fellow mushroom enthusiast.