Minnesota 2018 season

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tommyjosh, Jan 29, 2018.

1. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

2. i_heart_shrooms

i_heart_shrooms Morel Enthusiast

3. tommyjosh

Only one month and they start popping down south

4. i_heart_shrooms

i_heart_shrooms Morel Enthusiast

5. tommyjosh

6. finderoftheshrooms

finderoftheshrooms Morel Connoisseur

The thing that matters most is consistent moisture throughout the year.. I don't think they really need snow though.. As long as you've had some form of precipitation fall this winter you should be ok.. They do need a good hard freeze for an extended period of time though.. In my experience, the colder and longer the winter the better..

7. tommyjosh

We have had a total of like 6-8 inches of snow this whole winter but with the next snow storm coming we should get 4-8 inches. What county are you out of

8. finderoftheshrooms

I'm actually in central Indiana lol.. I'm just browsing the board looking for info.. I'm trying to time my vacation this year so that I can hunt from southern Indiana all the way up into Wisconsin or Minnesota.. The problem is I only have 25 days I can take off work lol.. Last year I took my days off all at once.. This year I'm thinking I'll split them up.. When is prime time for you guys normally?

9. tommyjosh

Here in central Minneosta it is usually may 7- may 21. I’ve noticed you guys have had a lot of rain and more to come getting a lot of moisture. Last year we learned it’s not all about the temperatures it is actually more about how much rain you get. Do you think someone in the u.s. will find some in a week or two?

10. finderoftheshrooms

Yeah we've had a lot of rain this winter.. We are actually supposed to get 5 more inches this week.. It's been good and cold too.. We had a two week stretch where we were below zero every day.. I don't want to jinx myself because the weather could still screw us, but we are over due for a good morel season.. The last couple years around here have been kind of shitty..

1 person likes this.
  11. finderoftheshrooms

I think Alabama will start seeing some in the next week or so.. I've hunted in Georgia a couple times and it was right around the 1st of March when we started finding them..

1 person likes this.
  12. tommyjosh

Do you go for any other Mushrooms?

13. finderoftheshrooms

I've always intended to, I would love to go find some hens and chanterelles.. I've been out scouting spots for them a few times, but I always get too wrapped up in fishing to get out in the woods during the fall.. I live right by a river that has some of the best small mouth fishing in the Midwest.. So during the fall if I'm not at work, chances are I'm probably standing in the middle of the river somewhere.. I've lost more than one girlfriend because of my addiction to fishing..

14. tommyjosh

Oh ya love fishing too love going to the Mississippi for smallmouth. It’s really crazy how many chantrelles we find last year there were so many. Hens are one of my favorites.

15. finderoftheshrooms

Nothing goes better with morels than fresh caught fish.. One of these days I'll get out there and find some chanterelles and hens.. I've found remnants of shriveled up hens from the previous year several times while morel hunting.. I just can't seem to make it into the woods while they are in season..

1 person likes this.
  16. tommyjosh

I see in southern Indiana it’s a high of 76, that a positive.

17. finderoftheshrooms

It's supposed to be abnormally warm and wet for the next few days.. Where I live at we are under a flood watch until Thursday.. It's supposed to cool back down though.. The long term extended forecast is showing average temps across the board through April..

1 person likes this.
  18. tommyjosh

Ya I looked at Evansville weather and they are getting rain almost everyday for the next week

1 person likes this.
  19. finderoftheshrooms

The weatherman is saying we are gonna get two months worth of rain this week.. I'm a little worried about some of my bottom ground getting flooded out.. The river is already high from all the rain we've had this winter..

1 person likes this.