Minnesota 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. stilz

stilz Morel Connoisseur

The forecast looks great. I'm gonna start picking tomorrow. I
    July? No lol.

1 person likes this.
  2. Sam Segale

Sam Segale Morel Enthusiast

Stillz any chance willing to meet up and hunt few places together. Your always on then. I'm out in the woods everyday for hours and have 3 baby greys . I dont know what doing wrong. You could keep anything we find I just like some actual advice in the woods

1 person likes this.

3. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

Ha, stilz is in mushroom heat now, I know what its like, but don't get frustrated, there just starting in a lot of areas, he is at a warmer location and has scouted well. If you found baby greys there just starting. Good luck

4. mntammy

mntammy Morel Enthusiast

Went SE yesterday. Hit our spots and too early in those areas. Found 12 or so pheasant backs but not into them so we left all of them.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wendelina

Wendelina Morel Enthusiast

They did that to a wooded area here in St Cloud that used to be University land for observation. About a year ago they cleared the buckthorn infestation and it looks so sad. I've meandered through it but haven't seen any signs of shrooms there. The shredded wood on the ground is super thick. I did get startled by a wild turkey and 2 deer in there, so at least the wildlife still frequent it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Wendelina

Wendelina Morel Enthusiast

Anybody know what these are? They're growing at the base of a Maple. 20190515_153642_HDR.jpg

7. tundraking

tundraking Morel Connoisseur

And you gotta be careful in those areas too, because brush mowing is only the first step, then they spray chemical. If its a contractor doing it, they usually stick little flag markers in the ground throughout the sprayed area indicating its been sprayed.

8. Lisse Michaels

Lisse Michaels Morel Connoisseur

Yes, that is a true morel. Looks like it was a yellow. They sometimes look like that if growing conditions weren’t 100% perfect (Not enough moisture, too hot, frost, too much sun, etc.), but they’re fine to eat as long as they’re not rotten. Way to go, congratulations on your find!

1 person likes this.
  9. tundraking

My Mom lives SE MN east of Rochester a ways, and she just had greys appear 2-3 days ago. This heat and humidity is really gonna get them poppin now!
    Heading down this afternoon with the camper till Sunday. Its game time!

10. tundraking

Ya..., you may need to take a trip north by June 1st, but who knows, its super late this year! It all really depends on how warm it gets by then. If it stays cool, the season will stretch out, but if it gets too warm it'll be over around mid state.
    Who knows, the end of this month may end up being really good in low lands/flood plains if the water keeps receding...

11. Dtails

Dtails Morel Connoisseur

Looks like St cloud area needs some rain it's close but still a week away I'm thinking Hutchinson area this weekend might find a few

Wendelina likes this.
  12. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Just looked at weather, looks like its coming over weekend. Hopefully it rains entire weekend, will keep the warriors out of my honey holes.

Lisse Michaels and Dtails like this.
  13. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Not saying this applies to MN, but in Indiana this year the amount people were finding was over the top, but elms we're almost void of mushrooms. Ash, sycamores, and apple all produced. I checked a prime elm behind my house too many times to mention and it hasn't produced a single mushroom. Really took me off my game as I'm strictly an elm hunter.

Lisse Michaels likes this.
  14. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Never found a good patch of porcelain before, I've heard if you wait a week they're probably be a urinal there as well. I really could have used one of those a couple times, beats a cold damp log every day.

btetzl50 likes this.
  15. MycoMania

MycoMania Morel Connoisseur

Finally made it into the woods yesterday, found 20 2-3 inchers and a ton of tinies. Open sunny areas, in and out of the woods. Just starting up in southwest and southwest/central MN.

Dtails and (deleted member) like this.
  16. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

You hunt mushrooms or trees?

17. yerty

yerty Morel Enthusiast

Ugh I meant June haha

18. Sam Segale

Sam Segale Morel Enthusiast

Not sure what you mean exactly. I hunt for dead or dying elms and at the base or in moss areas on hillsides in the woods.

1 person likes this.
  19. tundraking

Thats good. Just remember that they may not be growing right around the base, could be 10, 20, 30+ feet out from the tree. With real big elms they can produce up to 30 yards away. "Most" of the time they are within 20 feet.
    I don't know about the moss thing, morels do like moss, but usually their still needs to be a dying/dead elm involved.

Dtails likes this.
  20. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

A lot of people walk around with a stick moving foliage around looking for mushrooms. Since your not doing that the odds are in your favor. Now is just comes done to finding good elm concentrations and spending the woods times necessary to establish a bunch of go to spots. I first stated coming up north to hunt in the 80's and now have more places to check than I have time or energy now that I'm getting up in the years.