Minnesota 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Chanterelle nut

Chanterelle nut Morel Enthusiast

Finally found my first elusive morels!!

Attached Files:

2. Morelsrfun

Morelsrfun Morel Enthusiast

I’ve been raised to hunt oak, cottonwoods, pine, birch and of course elms. I started going by myself a lot after high school (I’m in my early 30’s)without my father and have become strictly an elm hunter with my experiences of spending a lot of hours in the woods chasing morels as I’ve typically had a lot of success with hunting primarily elms.

This year I have found most mushrooms by elms like all the years past, however this year I have found a lot more morels by birch trees. In fact on Tuesday I picked 50 with a buddy off of a southwest facing slope in the middle of a dead birch cluster. I think I will continue to try to cover 50-100 elms trees during an outing but I will definitely be much more receptive to peering at other trees as well.

3. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

we
    ll nice to hear from you again, congrats

4. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

I killed it today, some where 50 ft away. Farthest i have seen them from the host tree. Slope of course

Wendelina and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Hoka Hey

Hoka Hey Young Morel

Out for 4-5 hours in a very familiar spot. Skunked. Maybe next week.

Wendelina likes this.
  6. tundraking

tundraking Morel Connoisseur

Great to hear! You put in the time, learned a lot in the past year and its paying off!

7. Wendelina

Wendelina Morel Enthusiast

Took another nice hike through some riverbank areas today.. Also skunked, but damn it's nice outside!

Dtails likes this.
  8. Eskimofo

Eskimofo Young Morel

Hi Wendelina! I have a few choice spots around Plymouth if you want to check with me this weekend. 50/50 split. My son who has hunted with me since he was 5 discovered girls as of late. He his 16 and got his first car and .......well 16 and a car. I am beside myself this season LMK

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 5:43 PM
    btetzl50 likes this.
  9. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Exactly, my go to is still elm, but got my eyes opened this year. I probably won't go to the bottom of a ravine void of elms to check a solitary sycamore but if it's in the elm line I'm working it will get circled.

Lisse Michaels and Morelsrfun like this.
  10. stilz

stilz Morel Connoisseur

It's early. I just have tons of local early spots.

btetzl50 likes this.
  11. shedberg123

shedberg123 Morel Enthusiast

My first indicator trees popped Sunday; saw numerous popping;over 25 about an inch or so all blacks on one tree alone. . I'm waiting until Sunday to hit it hard as I have private land and want to ensure they get a good start before I start foraging. Can't stand the waiting.

Dtails and Lisse Michaels like this.
  12. shedberg123

shedberg123 Morel Enthusiast

I've been finding a few around dead ash trees also...

13. Morelsrfun

Morelsrfun Morel Enthusiast

Found another 30-40 today in less than an hour. I had to base coach for a baseball game so I was limited in time. Literally went to a spot I’ve never been to on state land, pulled over randomly and just jumped up on a southwest hillside and there they were half way up the hill. 35 miles north of me my brother found a fresh cluster of small ones that started to pop where he was the night before and didn’t find any. He also found a few stragglers on the northwest side. I didn’t get a chance to confirm that today but he’s usually pretty dependable.

I think some of us maybe have a few early spots that are pretty steady, as we’ve seen some nice pictures. For those who haven’t found any or a ton..... Call me an optimist but I think we have only just begun; hang in there.

For newer hunters, if you’re struggling to find them, study the forest floor, I hunt for patterns not mushrooms per say when I haven’t found a ton. It’s typically that brainy look they have that breaks the pattern of the forest floor. Sometimes there are so many it don’t matter but once you find a few, you’re eyes will adjust and recognize the different patterns on the ground. Maybe I overthink it but it certainly helps me with that mindset.

btetzl50 and Lisse Michaels like this.
  14. Lisse Michaels

Lisse Michaels Morel Connoisseur

5E6BD5E4-BB5E-4A1E-96C4-23CEC0BE0F6C.jpeg 71BE4603-5ED4-4E03-8CF7-CA558A1DFB48.jpeg 7D11DC41-6983-4963-9984-8DE87457379F.jpeg CA3E2439-61BE-4633-BEAA-EEBD39A50C24.jpeg 0D8A7A33-6BA2-4CA2-B2BC-BB36A232CA7A.jpeg 5571F1D8-E565-4EED-AD37-DCD0EDA84C35.jpeg DBCE5AD1-706B-4B3B-9BAF-1893C1A4B807.jpeg 3EDFC949-0BB4-47C4-BB44-69B9AA54F189.jpeg

And BOOM, I’m on the board! Found lots of dog peckers today, and about a dozen blacks just peeking out of the leaf litter. These were at the edge of a clearing on an east-facing slope, growing in mixed white poplar, burr oak & red willow. Not an elm tree in sight. I’m loading up my Jeep tonight & heading back out first thing in the morning. WHOO HOOO!!!

Attached Files:

15. Zen

Zen Morel Enthusiast

NICE!

Lisse Michaels likes this.
  16. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Don't know what kind of birch you are finding them on, but river birch in parts of Mo was the tree of choice this year, for some reason they went crazy in several counties. I am like most of you, elms, elms, gimme more elm, but I have added a bunch of trees to my list to check. My best day this year was on soft maples on a stream bank. Half of my morels on a trip last year were on ash. I always look under cedars now and plum thickets. Oh, and young willow patches early in the season. I will still walk a quarter mile to check a good elm though.

Dtails and Lisse Michaels like this.
  17. MayMotherload

MayMotherload Morel Enthusiast

I'm still skunked also. Someone told me the elm has to be at least 10 inch diameter... anyone else hear/experience that?

Lisse Michaels likes this.
  18. Lisse Michaels

Thank you!!! I have to admit, I thought I’d get skunked. I had my older sister with me, who doesn’t remember picking morels with our grandmother, and I was praying we’d find at least one. It was a very pleasant surprise!

19. Lisse Michaels

Yes, I’ve also heard that.

20. Wendelina

Wendelina Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the offer, but I have to stick close to home this weekend. I have company from out of town. I'm hoping I can talk her into an excursion, and it'll really depend on if we get the storms that are in the forecast. She's a fair weather outdoor fan.