Minnesota 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. fluffhead2

fluffhead2 Morel Enthusiast

I am not telling, sorry.

The first time I found them I was not even looking for morels. I just happened to look down and see one peeking out from beneath some leaves. They are hard to see and are generally smaller than yellows and grays.

1 person likes this.
  2. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

:confused::rolleyes: well duh.

1 person likes this.

3. Wendelina

Wendelina Morel Enthusiast

There were a LOT of people out in the rain today in the public parks around here. Can't imagine they were all looking for shrooms. Didn't see anyone else carrying any, so if they were, they got skunked too.

1 person likes this.
  4. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

Birding season? Seen many with binoculars around the neck lol.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wendelina

I use binoculars at times too :)

But no, the ones who weren't looking at the ground were probably Pokemon hunting. No one seemed to be looking up.

AIM likes this.
  6. Morelsrfun

Morelsrfun Morel Enthusiast

7. morchella ed

morchella ed Morel Enthusiast

Had great luck Thursday, Friday, Saturday hunting in SE Mn. Found a variety..sunny south and eastern slopes had nice blondes, some getting to be big footed morels, still northern slopes or deeper into the valley we found tiny yellows and greys. Left a lot to grow bigger, hope the cold temps tonight don’t kill them all! Excited to get back out next weekend as I think we have another week or even two before it starts to wind down!

Attached Files:

8. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

Ahh, you can tell me buddy.;) I don't know if I have or not, If I did it would be the first couple years when I didn't know the difference.

9. Shroomtrooper 1

10. Shroomtrooper 1

Found a nice secluded spot with micro morels coming up, I wonder if the weather will ruin it

Wendelina and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Morelsrfun

Yeah wondering everyone’s opinion on that. An old timer that I chat with during the season claims that as long as it’s nit two nights in a row we should be ok, anyone else have input on cold nights?

1 person likes this.
  12. Shroomtrooper 1

At least 2 weeks, saw micro morels coming up and a good 10 day growing period, deep north facing not even starting, tho I have not checked really.

13. Dtails

Dtails Morel Connoisseur

This rain should help out the St.Cloud area can't wait to get out this week and next week good luck

Wendelina and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Wendelina

That's what I'm hoping for! I have permission to be on some private land that produced a bunch of huge hens last fall and there's a portion that's all old and dying elms. I'm hoping for good things there!

Dtails and (deleted member) like this.
  15. tundraking

tundraking Morel Connoisseur

Definitely NOT true. I'll find them under 3-4 diameter dying/dead trees as well. They are usually just greys, but good all the same! Just found a bunch of greys this last weekend under a 3 dead elms that were no more than 3 inches in diameter.

Nope. It doesn't work like that. Like Rodneyp64 said, when the tree starts dying, its usually just a 2-3 year span that you'll find morels around it, but conditions still have to be right. There are the random cases where you'll actually find a few morels a 4th year or perhaps even years later, but nothing that amounts to much. In general, you get one real good fruiting one year, and then a few the next 2 couple years, thats it.

I've been doing this for over 35 years, and although supposedly good practice to spread spores, there is absolutely no evidence that it does anything for that spot except waste good morels. Take em while you can. Spread the past prime ones, and move on to other spots. Good Luck!

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  16. morel rat

morel rat Morel Connoisseur

I believe you are spot on!!!
    I have noticed the same as you are saying over the years of hunting!
    Good luck to all

1 person likes this.
  17. tundraking

Hey, you didn’t happen to be hunting with another couple guys and 4 boys, were you...? I met a group down there on Saturday. I was with my Mom and daughter...

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  18. tundraking

4A1A0B47-1A7E-46B1-836E-63898FA0697E.jpeg B0EA41C7-CD76-4F84-8FEE-85F98E59C35F.jpeg 2308F242-2E5B-4154-BA74-A357596A74DF.jpeg A78CD881-FAD9-4E68-8B9E-1D3CCB32F550.jpeg 0993E8DF-9CCC-4039-8E28-E433354DD4CB.jpeg

Had a great weekend SE MN! Found some yellows that were past prime and some little greys that were too young to pick.
    There’s been plenty of pics being added, but thought I’d throw a few up as well. The fourth pic is a rare example of a few morels popping up out of the hole from a very old fallen elm that is obviously way past it’s prime... Lol. No other dying/dead elms nearby. Pretty uncommon, but it’s crazy how that still happens.

19. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

I'll say and most of them really fresh. I can hardly stand it, waited whole month and actually entire year for this Thursday. Every year as I walk into my spots I'm kind of melancholy, on one hand I'm about to do one of my favorite hobbies and on the other hand I know it's only for three or so days and then another year of waiting. As I've gotten older the waiting another year goes much faster than I'd like.

20. Morelsrfun

I’ve been truly blessed this year and been more brave asking for permission on private land as well. I walk every night for at least 2 hours but now in the prime I go til dark almost after work. I have had a very good year so far but I’ve put the miles in. My hands and arms show that as they look like I jumped in a den of ferocious cats and took a beating.

It’s a short season but that’s what makes it worth it to get out there and find them. I agree that melancholy is an appropriate word, nothing worse than when you know the season is over. I think we still have some time until we are searching the deep north ravines and chasing the final morels out of the woods. I’ll be out again today and will post whatever I find, unless it’s bugging some folks. I don’t want to brag or taunt anyone, just want to provide hope for those out chasing their first find!!!