Minnesota 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

Hey are you Bill Clinton? I smoked weed but I never inhaled. lol
    I LIKE Morels and everything to do with them

2. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

Id love a BJ in the office.. So in that regard we might have something in common.. Lol. Morels are a great treat just unique. I need more time with them. Love to cook so will see.

treehump, Wendelina and Dtails like this.

3. Shane Hager

Shane Hager Morel Enthusiast

Keep us posted, I'd be interested in hearing the soil temps.

1 person likes this.
  4. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

Right now, don't worry about bout ground temps. Look to moisture laden land south east facing on a Prime tree. Moss may be the key. Sun accessabilty needed.

Wendelina, btetzl50, AIM and 2 others like this.
  5. btetzl50

btetzl50 Morel Enthusiast

How many days should you allow before hitting a spot again? I know it would depend on weather (sun/rain) as well...

6. stilz

stilz Morel Connoisseur

I'm with you. I almost never eat mushrooms. I hike 40 miles a week and I'm very curious so the hunt is just fun. Plus, I make a few hundred bucks and meet like-minded peeps.

Are any of you into gardening? I'm a pretty serious organic gardener. Gardening led me to become a forager.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Wendelina, AIM and (deleted member) like this.
  7. stilz

stilz Morel Connoisseur

I hit mine 4-7 days after.

btetzl50 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

I dabble in it every year. Don't have the room/time to go hard but love eating fresh produce. Planted my own aspargas this year.

9. stilz

stilz Morel Connoisseur

I always have tons of extras during the season.

AIM likes this.
  10. mascadcar

mascadcar Young Morel

Whatever happened to just putting them on a ribeye and washing it down with a Budweiser?

11. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

Why ruin a good steak?! :p

12. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

wow you don't eat them, I am shocked. I have 50 pepper plants ready to put in ground, some tomatoes.

13. Walking Shuz

Walking Shuz Morel Enthusiast

I container garden herbs and peppers. I have a flower garden which includes, hops, raspberries, purple asparagus, and stinging nettles. Otherwise I have to forage blueberries, mulberries, mushrooms, onions, sumac, cat tail roots, etc.

That said I have to agree that exploring and thrill of the hunt is the most fun I have foraging. I also teaching people about the little things that have value to passer-by's as I am foraging is a ton of fun.

Last year there were a dozen kids near an area I was gathering morels from. They must have been given some task to photograph nature as they all had tablets and were snapping away. So I took the time to introduce them to the state mushroom, the state flower, the state bird(the mosquito). Of the three they were all quite taken up by the huge yellow morels, the size of their hands, the most.

Would any of you have as much fun foraging if you couldn't share your experiences with at least one other person?

treehump, btetzl50, Dtails and 2 others like this.
  14. shedberg123

shedberg123 Morel Enthusiast

15. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

20190522_145352.jpg 20190522_145307.jpg 20190522_153608.jpg

Hiding like hell in a spot I never would have thought to look... Not a single big or any real tree around. Was heading back after a little hike and saw on sitting by the path in the grass. On the board w some feshies!

694/East River Rd

16. stilz

stilz Morel Connoisseur

The morels not really. Once every couple years. I give them to family that love them and sell some. Now peppers and tomatoes I grow and eat a lot of. :)

Anyone else notice it's pretty dead out there after that first flush? Hmmm.. The soil temp is about 52F around here so let's hope we get another.

Wendelina and (deleted member) like this.
  17. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

Well just finding my firsts around and spots are not even all that grown in. I think we might have a nice long season assuming no major heat spike. Still shocked where i found these today. This hill would have been cooking for weeks now. So weird.

1 person likes this.
  18. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

Read a lot here and around online but how do you pro finders keep your morels? Currently just in fridge in paper bag.

19. twisted minds

twisted minds Morel Connoisseur

For short term storage, that is about best way, just make sure you DON'T wash them before you put them in fridge. Just straight from woods into bag into fridge. Depending on condition of mushroom, should keep a week or so, maybe longer.

AIM and (deleted member) like this.
  20. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

Yep no wash just brushed off lightly and into the cold. These feel very fresh but plan to dry etc.

Thank you!

1 person likes this.