Minnesota 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. MayMotherload

MayMotherload Morel Enthusiast

2. Dtails

Dtails Morel Connoisseur

How big is big enough for one to harvest? I'm just curious to see what everyone else does.. for depends on the condition but 2.5 -3" is minimum size (finger sized)

3. MayMotherload

MayMotherload Morel Enthusiast

For me it depends on access, if I can access them and nobody else can I leave smaller ones. If I'm hunting public I pick any size.

4. stilz

stilz Morel Connoisseur

I just found 6. They seem slightly past prime, but still good. It's really slow out there...

5. Zen

Zen Morel Enthusiast

6. Dtails

Dtails Morel Connoisseur

Totally agreed lol.. it's just fun sometimes seeing people with 1/2"ers

7. May madness

May madness Morel Enthusiast

My rule of thumb is size of my thumb it's in the bag smaller than that leave it lay

Dtails and (deleted member) like this.
  8. May madness

I hit a spot yesterday I found 20 a week ago. Found 25 more my 8 year old son found 15 of them all by himself. Hes been going with me since he was 5. I was pretty proud

Wendelina and (deleted member) like this.
  9. LoHaze

LoHaze Morel Enthusiast

I always clean mine before I put them in the fridge. I do a quick soak, just a minute or two, then use the hand sprayer on each one and shake as much water off as I can then set on a towel for an hour so. Then I put in a paper bag and lay damp paper towels over them. Then I redampen the paper towel as needed. They stay nice and fresh for about 2 weeks

Wendelina, AIM and (deleted member) like this.
  10. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

Got 5 today pretty small and fresh. One half free.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  11. btetzl50

btetzl50 Morel Enthusiast

Grabbed two, each from a different tree north of Hudson, wi. Asparagus is still slow growing up there too.

Dtails and Inthewild like this.
  12. bigrobshroommn

bigrobshroommn Morel Connoisseur

Below average weather is stunting things. Complete opposite from last May the 2nd warmest. We need some warmer average Temps and some sunshine to make things pop. C’mon mother nature help is out!

1 person likes this.
  13. Morelsrfun

Morelsrfun Morel Enthusiast

2D9EB2B6-A3CD-4C66-A5D4-5A937ACCDFCB.jpeg F1256C0F-9BF4-4113-B0C7-D77C63DCEA13.png
    Buddy photo bombed me, we had fun though. About 120+\- Found a couple really nice trees. I feel like southeast sides are about done by me. No work tomorrow, gonna let them bake until about 1 then I’m going to experiment away from southeast sides. Good luck everyone.

14. May madness

I hit another public spot today after work before I go out of town for the weekend. Forgot my bag at home. 35 under one tree. 20190523_170749.jpg 20190523_191315.jpg had to make do with what I had. Ya snooze ya lose!! Lol

Morelsrfun likes this.
  15. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

imagejpeg_0(4).jpg From st. Cloud area.. They out but its slow work.

imagejpeg_0(3).jpg

16. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

There's always a way to haul your shrooms out of the woods. Even if you have to take off your pants!

May madness and Inthewild like this.
  17. mntammy

mntammy Morel Enthusiast

Did pretty well South of the cities. Morelsrfun I might of seen you and your buddy?? Did you have golf clubs in hand?? Shroomers everywhere to the south! On one hill a half free, a gray, and 15 ft away some blondes and pheasant backs. I wish our spots in the cities would fruit.

18. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

Been trying around st cloud the last couple days but havent found anything accept ramps and pheasant backs what has been working for you ive been looking at lots of dead elm but not even one yet

Wendelina likes this.
  19. harvey lovejoy

harvey lovejoy Morel Enthusiast

Had good success in Wabash County today. Just counted and paper bagged them. I don't wash them ever and use a normal grocery paper bag (roll up the top) with a damp paper towel inside and refrigerate them or store in the garage if temp allows. Works for me! My older brother (78) and I (72) can't go as good as we used to, but we got right at 200 that weighed just over 9lbs today. Mostly blondies and some greys. South and Southeast facing slopes. Many were in that plant that looks like a umbrella. We are hunting in hills and valleys. Most seem to be within 50 yards of the top. Prickly ash territory. No ticks yet.

Morelsrfun, Shroomtrooper 1 and AIM like this.
  20. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

No idea man same around the north metro these are just from my buddy who i told keep hunting any sunny moss on that same pheasant back area and he killed it.

The big batch i found would be early here had some thumbs popping but keep eye out.

Wendelina likes this.