Minnesota 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Demonthrall

Demonthrall Morel Enthusiast

Put me on the board for my first year!

Attached Files:

2. HolMorel

HolMorel Morel Enthusiast

Just found on my lunchtime hike in the cities. I’ll head back out later to find its friends. Lots of deer tracks though, so Bambi might have beaten me to them. ;)

Attached Files:

3. Morelsrfun

Morelsrfun Morel Enthusiast

Wabasha county is northwest-west tops, low southeast. Some southeast may still be going.

2 people like this.
  4. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Lisse, I noticed that you said you're allergic to DEET. Back in the day we'd just slather on the Muskol when fishing in Canada. Until one day when my friend noticed that his thumb and forefinger were sticking to the handle of his spinning reel. A closer inspection revealed that the DEET on his fingers was melting the plastic paddle of the handle! Needless to say we stuck our hands and arms in the water and washed that stuff off immediately.

Talk about scary. We used to glom enough DEET on us to alter our DNA! Never again. So I guess I'm also allergic to DEET!

BTW, back in the day my buddy used to raise horses, and board them for others in his stable. I was not raised around horses, my Grandma had a milk cow. But I really took to horses. I saw many a high strung, nervous Nellie go into that stable and come out a calm, well adjusted horse! Why? Because of all the people who would stop by. I swear my buddy knew everybody in the south county!

Anyway, one time I was at the stable visiting the horses when I got bit by a horsefly. It about knocked me on my ass! It hurt so bad!

5. Morelsupport

Morelsupport Morel Enthusiast

Been out the last 2 days, found about 20 today and 75 today which came out to a little over 2 pounds. I'd post pics but I hate the setup they have on here. Still haven't figured it out yet lol! Hope to go out a few more times before the season is over.

6. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

20190528_185606.jpg 20190528_185606.jpg 20190528_190546.jpg 20190528_211435.jpg i finally found some not sure how many but its enough for a good meal anyway!

7. Lisse Michaels

Lisse Michaels Morel Connoisseur

I know exactly what you’re talking about! Almost any repellant will melt plastic. And paint, too. When I was about 10, I was hosing down my niece with Deep Woods Off right beside my Dad’s brand new shiny red truck. (We were on a family fishing trip & getting chewed up by skeeters.)

Well, it was a little windy that day, and I didn’t know any better. The overspray drifted onto the paint of my Dad’s truck, and it started peeling. I’m lucky, I didn’t get in that much trouble, but he was so upset.

BAHA HA HAAAAA... OK, I love the story about the Muskol! That stuff is so nasty smelling. But I have a question! Did you guys catch any fish while using Muskol? I’m curious, because when I started dating my husband, I showed up for a fishing trip and he hollered at me that I better not have any Muskol, Deep Woods Off, or anything with DEET because the fish won’t bite.

I don’t know if that’s true, I’m 47 years old & I’ve been fishing with my Dad as far back as I can remember. We always used DEET. It’s only been the last 15 years or so that I developed the allergy. I actually get hives so bad that they blister. It’s terribly painful.

I do love horses. I haven’t been around them for many years now, and I miss that time of my life. I used to help out every summer until I went to college & adulted up.

Only one horsefly bit you? You’re lucky, the bites are quite painful. My hair is down to the middle of my back, and I wear it in a ponytail or braid out in the bush. Horseflies love long hair like that, they will chase it. We have horseflies out already, there were a bunch buzzing around my head today. But I wanted those morels that were growing in the hazelnut bushes. BAHA HA HAAAAA

8. Lisse Michaels

Went out with my hubby again today. At first we found nothing. After about two hours, we were getting pretty discouraged.

Then I spotted some verpas. Followed them down a game trail, and the black morels started again. YIPPEE!!!

We headed a bit further south, and my hubby suddenly did a u-turn in the middle of the road, nearly giving me whiplash. Then I saw why. There were yellows growing about 100 ft across the ditch. We were on a fire road, and had to get across that ditch full of water to snag them.

I think we walked about a mile back once we found a place to cross the ditch. The freakin’ things were everywhere. We cleaned up and headed home. Just weighed them and we’ve got another 30 lbs. I can’t believe how this year is turning out!

0BD58CF1-C3B6-482A-B8A7-01CB710FDA16.jpeg

9. Shrookie

Shrookie Morel Enthusiast

Lisse Michaels likes this.
  10. Shrookie

11. Shrookie

12. Shrookie

Wow! That is a fine mess of morels! Thanks again to you and everyone else for chiming in with advice and info. I'm a total rookie at this, but completely addicted. I've luckily only run into those little black flies a couple times but they are god-awful! this was like ten or twelve years ago. Trout fishing with a buddy in Wisconsin and they were so thick that we bagged it after about an hour and a half , even though trout were biting really good. Wish I would've discovered these better insect repellents earlier...

13. Shrookie

Nice score man! good for you! Also having some difficulties posting pics but will keep trying. good luck to everyone hunting! I think I might have another week here in north metro twin cities. just glad I actually found some this year!

14. Lisse Michaels

Thank you, we hammered them yesterday. We’re discussing if we’ll do it again today. I’ve been out almost every day for two weeks. But I don’t think they’re going to last with the heat we’re supposed to get this week. ***sigh***

There always seems to be clouds of black flies when the trout are biting. We ran into that last year in June when we were fishing northern Manitoba. My daughter was screaming in the boat, you’d think she was covered in leeches or something. But the fish we caught, even with her hollering at the top of her lungs. :p

15. LoHaze

LoHaze Morel Enthusiast

Nice score!

16. HolMorel

HolMorel Morel Enthusiast

Last night I found a good heap more at a park in the west metro I suspected would be good. Well — as soon as I rounded a corner on the trail I saw a fellow morel hunter. (Sorry to blow up your spot, my guy!)
    I’ll be out again today - yesterday’s heat is really starting to dry them out so us Cities hunters have only a bit more time. I might try to head up North again on Saturday. We found so many at parks north of Wilmar.

17. LoHaze

LoHaze Morel Enthusiast

E1CB3ECC-EC80-4B56-8E41-78DCB9C29A95.jpeg 392A7A1E-A86C-42AD-87CB-8269C7E0C4BF.jpeg 4DEFF733-5959-4085-9EBE-0AAAC0E2A537.jpeg 5940BF48-1F45-44FD-B447-80F59A0E7548.jpeg Went out for one last hunt for season yesterday. Picked about 30 or so, was probably about 2 lbs. Another good season for me. Ate morels 6 times, gave some away to a few people and I have 3 full quart jars dehydrated. Think I picked around 300 total

18. Lisse Michaels

You did great this year!

I love that brush with the morel shaped handle! May I ask where you got it?

19. LoHaze

LoHaze Morel Enthusiast

Thanks! It would have been a stellar year if I found some when I took my girls out ( 5 & 3). We did find some ramps and asparagus together though. We did find some together last year. They both absolutely love morels!

My wife and girls got it for me from Forest to Fork in St Paul.

20. ksmorelhunter

ksmorelhunter Morel Enthusiast

Lisse, congrats on your finds! What county are you in?