Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1081 - 1100 of 1136 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
View attachment 21414 View attachment 21416 View attachment 21418 View attachment 21420

Tundraking, here’s a few pictures. Things warmed up quickly after all the rain we got yesterday, so there’s lots of green shoots coming up. Edges of clearings are white poplar, red willow (red-osier dogwood), some beaked hazelnuts, changing to black poplar further in with an occasional scrubby oak.

They grow in the leaf litter where the forest is dark & cool. But they also like to be near the edge of a clearing, kind of in part sun, part shade. If you do find them growing out in the open, they are often really big, tops misshapen, and burned by the sun. Their cell walls are thinner than yellow morels, so they are more delicate IMO. The third picture is of the leaf litter. It’s easy to recognize: thick, kind of half-way broken down, crunchy when dry. There’s a swamp about a mile up the road, and this whole area is squishy on a wet year. Not great land for farming, but suitable for cattle. Fourth picture shows four morels growing around the old stump of a tree. Also check along game trails, because I’ve often found them growing along the sides.
Thanks for all the great info! Had a great week up north. Spent about 5 hours foraging, found a couple black morels, but that was it. So needless to say I have not figured out the blacks yet. It was still fun to walk around northern woods though!
They definitely have a pungent odor for sure...

·
Registered
279 Posts
F5B0C4B8-2789-4DB4-A4A5-35F276889BBC.jpeg
Went out for a couple hours around home and hit a new spot. Found a nice pile of shrooms including some very fresh oysters!
This hot weather is going to put an end to the season around here pretty soon, but there are still plenty out there to be collected. The northern hills and ravines still feel like the soil is cold, didnt have a thermometer, but there may still be a few fresh flushes happening in those spots this week, as well as deep woods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Getting skunked around avon and st cloud. Must be doing something wrong . Going to check some county parks in hope of finding my first of the year! Good times but mosquitos are getting thick. Suprisingly only 3 woodticks so far!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Getting skunked around avon and st cloud. Must be doing something wrong . Going to check some county parks in hope of finding my first of the year! Good times but mosquitos are getting thick. Suprisingly only 3 woodticks so far!
dead elm and live white ash if you can find a chunk with then in it you should find some

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I'm done with morels. I haven't seen one for 3 years. They just don't exist here.i will check back when the summer mushrooms are in season. Take care all!!!
Never went morel hunting before but got super lucky and found a good 15-20 big ones at a customers house.. I did the right thing and told him that I found them he never knew he had them.. So I picked them and handed them over.. Oh well I will just have to find my own..
I've never hunted anywhere but public lands and parks, but in your shoes I would've done the same thing. I hope mushroom karma rewards you ten-fold next season!

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
ADFA9EF7-C8F0-4265-B671-1A594A65827E.jpeg
It was another great day. I got out for a couple hours and found some hogs! Biggest I’ve found. These were all on west facing hillsides, partial sun. Didn’t find anything in north facing and deep woods yet. Found a spot everyone dreams of in deep woods and there wasn’t anything there yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Just for next year's season history, you all started finding them in Southern MN about the 15th of May, still going now. Wade found them in Indiana for almost 28 days. It's been a good year, I'm eating the last of my fresh ones tonight and will finish them off by Saturday. They've kept for 11 days so far. Will start summer season with Kokomorel in July sometime.

·
Registered
195 Posts
View attachment 21870 It was another great day. I got out for a couple hours and found some hogs! Biggest I’ve found. These were all on west facing hillsides, partial sun. Didn’t find anything in north facing and deep woods yet. Found a spot everyone dreams of in deep woods and there wasn’t anything there yet.
You’ve had 2 great back to back days. Metro?

·
Registered
279 Posts
You’ve had 2 great back to back days. Metro?
North of the metro. I live in Elk River, so I'm hunting around here. Maybe a little cooler than the metro?... The metro averages 5-10 degrees warmer than outside the metro. Also, you can find virgin ground if you're thrifty. I'm hunting public, but its not the most obvious public places you can find with walking trails and all of that.
Not sure what these temps are gonna do. It may shut down north facing before it starts up here. We'll see though.
If I were in the metro, I'd head straight for river bottoms. Its the coolest place besides north facing, and I'd think humidity is higher closer to the river. I would just walk and get away from anything near public access, no matter how tempted. I could always hit them on the way back to the car. I'd also look for side access points where a road is adjacent to the public, then park nearby on a street or something so I could access spots that most people don't get to. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Found about 15 more and this huge one I left.. probably one of the my best years still finding babies but they are getting stressed fast more rain cooler temps might push me back til father's day! Hopefully... But boy am I running out of room but I'll find more if need lol

1081 - 1100 of 1136 Posts