Minnesota 2019 summertime mushrooms

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by jg010682, Jun 3, 2019.

1. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

Just figured i would start the summer shroom thread since morels are pretty much done.

Wendelina likes this.
  2. MayMotherload

MayMotherload Morel Enthusiast

I can't wait to get some fresh chanterelles, I have never found a lobster yet, so hopefully I'll check that off the list this year.

3. sarahrose

sarahrose Morel Connoisseur

Chanterelles are pretty easy to come by...... lobsters on the other hand have proven quite elusive to me.... I found a ton of them in Oregon about a decade ago, but never found them in MN. I know there are still morels out there, but good god am I tired!!! I’ll be up here for the summer shrooms..... Trumpets are my favorite to find.

Wendelina and MayMotherload like this.
  4. Wendelina

Wendelina Morel Enthusiast

Love me some chants! I've found lobsters up in the northern woods... Brainerd area and Deer River

5. Lost in woods

Lost in woods Morel Enthusiast

Lots of lobsters an hour south of the cities in late summer.

1 person likes this.
  6. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

Out west here in CA we're finding King Boletes and Western Giant Puffballs just as the temp's are turning to triple digits. Supposed to be 105 by Wednesday so it won't last long. I'd give an eye tooth for a Chantrelle!

7. jg010682

The chanterelles wont start here until july unfortunately hopefully its about the weekend of the 4th

1 person likes this.
  8. Chanterelle nut

Chanterelle nut Morel Enthusiast

Find pine trees and you will find lobsters, there is tons of lobsters around duluth, king bolete ive found near pine also, other boletes around hardwoods are pretty common, chicken of the woods are all over, find a freshly logged hard wood and u will find chickens, oysters you should get as soon as you see them, if you dont they might not be there when you come back, those things die if you look at them the wrong way. Now chanterells like hot and humid, so find a nice creek with mixed forest and you will find some chants, also moss patches help the chants grow. Black trumpets its what i find this year!

9. tundraking

tundraking Morel Connoisseur

Its the opposite for me... I seem to find lobsters almost everywhere I go in mixed hardwoods, but I’ve only found one decent chant spot. I’ll have to try along streams this year and see if that helps. I’d really love to find a decent trumpet spot. I found my first couple last year and after tasting them, it was not nearly enough!

10. sarahrose

I’ve always found chants around oak trees..... just beware the dangerous jack o lantern, which, if you have never found chants before tend to trick some people and poison them..... chants are not found in clumps , they are individual little mushrooms that have false gills, are egg yolk yellow, and grow on the ground near oak trees..... and smell faintly of apricots...:))

1 person likes this.
  11. jg010682

20190610_174706.jpg found my first chicken was full of bugs already thiugh

12. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Dandy looking flush, to bad about the bugs, cause it looks nice young & tender.

1 person likes this.
  13. jg010682

Ya i was pretty disapointed

14. jdaniels313

That's a bummer! They looked delectable too!...

15. jdaniels313

I was lucky enough a couple seasons ago to gather 2 five gallon buckets full of black trumpets under two trees not 10 yards off of a road! I didn't realize at first that I was standing in a 'herd' of them until I spotted the first one; then it was 'game on'! Haven't been that lucky since....

3 people like this.
  16. tundraking

WOW! That sounds amazing! Maybe some day that'll happen. I'm just hoping for a decent spot or two that I can revisit from time to time.
    I found an old oak forest with lots of mossy patches, so I'm hoping it will pay off this year...

17. sarahrose

Sounds like you hit the jackpot!!! They will usually grow in the same spot year after year..... or at least the clumps of them I have found tend to. Had to go back to AZ for a while to warm up ..... I think I wished for heat too much..... it’s 115 here today..

18. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Yeah, but it's a dry heat!

19. lewjoey

lewjoey Young Morel

Where you guys at in Minnesota. I live in Buffalo and would love to talk with any of you.
    I have been looking around here for the 3rd year and found nothing. Just would like to
    ask for better ideas or tips of where to look and how i am looking.

Lew Boyko
    612-670-6271 or [email protected]

20. tundraking

Hey Lew,
    Welcome to the forum. I live in Elk River, so not too far away. Thats what this forum is for, so ask away.
    What types of shrooms are you interested in finding?
    I'm a mixed bag forager to start. In summer, finding a spot I can walk that is relatively easy(not a ton of under growth) is what I look for. Heavy large tree cover, mixed hardwoods, a little hilly, etc. Its a great way to get started. You can get out there and find shrooms in June, but July is when it really picks up.
    Pick a couple different shrooms you are interested in finding. Generally, the easier ones like oysters, chicken of the woods, chants, lobsters, hedgehogs. The nice thing is a lot of the most common ones are bright colored, orange, white, yellow. I just walk through a spot scanning for those colors. They also each have their own characteristics that you can keep an eye out for. Growing on wood, on the ground around a certain tree, or they like moss, or well drained soil. Once you find something, look where its growing and notice its surroundings. You'll be able to use that info in the future to identify a good spot from a bad spot, based on what you see while hiking around. Finding multiple types of mushrooms growing in an area is a good sign that you may find something you're actually looking for.
    If you don't already, get yourself an identification guide that you can carry with you. One of my favorites is "National Audubon Society Field Guide". Have a backpack or something you can grab that has everything you need so you're always prepared for what you might find. Plastic bags, water, compass, TP..., bug spray, permethrin, knife.
    Any questions, just ask.