Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

241 - 260 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Question! I live near a nature preserve that just did a massive tree clearing due to emerald ash. How long (and will there be?) for morel growth to happen? This year? Next year? The cut trees happened recently- strolling here now and it’s shocking how many trees are gone. The preserve is on very nice marshy land.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Question! I live near a nature preserve that just did a massive tree clearing due to emerald ash. How long (and will there be?) for morel growth to happen? This year? Next year? The cut trees happened recently- strolling here now and it’s shocking how many trees are gone. The preserve is on very nice marshy land.
learning more that dying ash trees don’t grow morels like dying elm. 😭 I’ll keep walking it this year, though. It’s still got potential.

·
Registered
31 Posts
learning more that dying ash trees don’t grow morels like dying elm. 😭 I’ll keep walking it this year, though. It’s still got potential.
I’ve read the same, but I haven’t gone around and checked specifically under dying/dead ash to know firsthand.

One question that comes to mind for me is - did that location produce morels before?

I’ll be interested to hear what you report after the season!

·
Registered
7 Posts
On the board!
We were pretty surprised, actually, to find some this early. But I'll take it! The girlfriend found these on a sunny piece of ground through a hole in the tree tops on a directly south/south east hill. We will definitely be going back to check on the rest of the shaded areas once the season progresses.
Gotta say it made me really look forward to these next few weeks even more! 😬
*SE MN, Winona area.

ps- Everybody do your rain dances

·
Registered
42 Posts
Walked a good chunk of woods last night that I’ve never hunted before, about 25 miles south of where I’ve been finding them. Way better ground cover, much greener and just better tree quality. 0 mushrooms, was actually baffled. It’s just a friendly reminder that it is early yet folks. Hopefully some rain this evening and things should just take off in this next week. Heading back out right now, hoping to get on some more, also hoping my hill legs kick in! Keep hunting and good luck everyone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It’s just a friendly reminder that it is early yet folks.
Exactly. I’m hitting a fairly reliable spot today and I’m not going to stress if they’re not popping yet. Just gotta keep the mileage up. My Apple Watch has a fitness challenge for May: walk 70 miles in the month. Lol, us morel hunters in MN will blow the doors off that challenge. 🥾🥾

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ya I was tromping about yesterday and I might have been able to pick 6 maybe 10 ramps... It's early everything is just starting... I'm going to wait and head out later next weekend... Crappies are bitting for the meantime

·
Registered
160 Posts
Took a nice walk in some early ground today. Half frees are coming up, Helvellas, Devils Urn, and Jack in the Pulpits are starting to unfurl. For all of Momma Natures teasing of an early season we are still looking at 2nd and 3rd week of May being peak time, just like 9 out of 10 years.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Just getting started in my neck of the woods about 7 to 10 days early 6 year old daughter pointed them out took 6 for dinner pretty small left numerous micros for next week. Check your early spots and watch your step. Good luck to everyone.

241 - 260 of 324 Posts