Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

261 - 280 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great hike today - ramps & garlic mustard a’ plenty but no morels. 7 miles on the odometer. Might have to stop stressing and just fish away the evenings til next weekend.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Question! I live near a nature preserve that just did a massive tree clearing due to emerald ash. How long (and will there be?) for morel growth to happen? This year? Next year? The cut trees happened recently- strolling here now and it’s shocking how many trees are gone. The preserve is on very nice marshy land.
If there are morels there they will be in the drier spots. Morels don't like wet feet. The borer really did a number on the ash around here. It seemed like an eye blink and they were all dead!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I saw a shroomer coming out of one of my old early spots this afternoon. I would of went in there but its posted No Tresspassing every 50 feet. Its fenced as well. The person came out the sides which is not fenced but also posted. I havent been in there in a couple of years because of the signs. So curious how many morels were in his basket. It kills me not to go in there!!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’m thinking about heading South today to some parks in Dakota county. The good overnight temps are a bust for this week but it’s always worth a hike after a rainy day. Fingers crossed for a few.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Man oh man, the lack of rain is crazy. Down on the whitewater river, the water level is the lowest I have ever seen in by over a foot. Even a crazy algae bloom that I have never seen. C'mon rain, please please rain! We all miss you so much!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rain forecast doesn’t look great in my area🤦‍♂️. At least the temps shouldn’t get out of control. I have had years in the past (I think, and I hope if my memory serves me correct), that it was pretty dry but we still had good years, the morels just didn’t stay as fresh for as long. Someone please feel free to correct my optimism.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rain forecast doesn’t look great in my area🤦‍♂️. At least the temps shouldn’t get out of control. I have had years in the past (I think, and I hope if my memory serves me correct), that it was pretty dry but we still had good years, the morels just didn’t stay as fresh for as long. Someone please feel free to correct my optimism.
Or I’m being the pessimist haha. I guess since I started looking for morels 5 years ago, I always read that you need rain or moisture for morels to come up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Checked a couple spots. One just wasn’t right at all so at least I had a nice hike. The other just felt early - not a lot of ground cover. A handful of the last of the fiddleheads was my take today. Looked back on the dates on photos of my best days. May 18th, 25th, 28th ... I’m officially waiting for better night temps. Whew.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good rain last night finally!!!!! Back from up north doing chores and fiddleheads and back in SE MN. Checked my closest indicator tree and found a dozen yellows just up very recent. Picked first asparagus and checked second indicator tree and saw one grey just popping up maybe 24 hours old. this week they should be popping good. south facing popping, and other areas just getting started. Unusual for our area but hey, when they pop, they pop. this week going to hit it hard. Hard to beat fresh asparagus and morels for supper......

·
Registered
80 Posts
Slayed em pretty hard through last week, and the weekend, but my early spots are pretty much tapped out by now and my later spots aren't poppin' at all yet. Strangely enough I've been finding a considerable number of sizeable yellows/blondes for this early in the season — I'm talkin' 4-5 inches. Most of the private land I hunt is north facing, but I did manage to find about 20 greys on a northwest slope. The public lands I hunt are suffering from a combo of being picked hard over the weekend and a lack of moisture.

Seems like folks have morel fever in my neck of the woods. Bumped into a few other morel hunters over the weekend, and most had empty sacks. Didn't have the heart to tell em that I was the reason 😈

Also, while I was out on Sunday someone was taking advantage of all the cars parked in the middle of nowhere and started smashing windows and stealing valuables. Sheriff's department said the culprit managed to steal some debit/credit cards and used em before the owners noticed. Just a friendly reminder to NOT LEAVE VALUABLES IN YOUR VEHICLE.

Happy hunting! It's still early!

261 - 280 of 324 Posts