Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

281 - 300 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know they don't like it too wet but with how dry it is I have been looking in areas that seasonally flood maybe not every year, but you can tell when it rains a lot where water flows or sits.... I've never tried these areas before, but I'm assuming I may be wasting my time looking somewhere that's underwater or close to it seasonally/every other year(s) when and if it floods...There are lots of live, dying, and dead elm in this area. It looks like it would be perfect if it were nowhere near water. Pheasant backs are anywhere from 50 cent piece size to full size in this area. Always looking out for new places. I've found 6 EVER on public land. I've found 100 plus on private land. Such a top secret hobby. Edit: this is my 5th year.

Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know they don't like it too wet but with how dry it is I have been looking in areas that seasonally flood maybe not every year, but you can tell when it rains a lot where water flows or sits.... I've never tried these areas before, but I'm assuming I may be wasting my time looking somewhere that's underwater or close to it seasonally/every other year(s) when and if it floods...There are lots of live, dying, and dead elm in this area. It looks like it would be perfect if it were nowhere near water. Pheasant backs are anywhere from 50 cent piece size to full size in this area. Always looking out for new places. I've found 6 EVER on public land. I've found 100 plus on private land. Such a top secret hobby. Edit: this is my 5th year.

Happy Hunting!
That traditionally wet ground is hard as a rock now, at least in Iowa. I’ve had the best luck on hillsides and full timber on the higher ground that is retaining some moisture.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Black r TVeported in hubbard county.
We found half dozen or so on Sunday after about 3 hours of woods time. Most were pretty small and already getting dry. More rain would be good. Still early though and already found more than we did all last season up here. Cass/Hubbard area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That traditionally wet ground is hard as a rock now, at least in Iowa. I’ve had the best luck on hillsides and full timber on the higher ground that is retaining some moisture.
Everywhere I'm going is either bone dry or looks to be too wet or seemingly too close to seasonal water, whether a river, swamp, or wetland of sorts...I've got a lot of variety in my spots....Also, I agree, some high areas have maybe a few square feet of a wet area here and there, then nothing. Very odd to me. It being so early is why I am so skeptical of them being there in the first place, but it's so nice out, so I just keep checking new places before I go back to these potential new ones that I'm doubting. Third year checking for some, first in others, just wondering what others thought.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I found about 1lb under 1 tree yesterday. Now waiting for this rain to soak the area so I can go hammer some more. :)

281 - 300 of 321 Posts