Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

301 - 320 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I know they don't like it too wet but with how dry it is I have been looking in areas that seasonally flood maybe not every year, but you can tell when it rains a lot where water flows or sits.... I've never tried these areas before, but I'm assuming I may be wasting my time looking somewhere that's underwater or close to it seasonally/every other year(s) when and if it floods...There are lots of live, dying, and dead elm in this area. It looks like it would be perfect if it were nowhere near water. Pheasant backs are anywhere from 50 cent piece size to full size in this area. Always looking out for new places. I've found 6 EVER on public land. I've found 100 plus on private land. Such a top secret hobby. Edit: this is my 5th year.

Happy Hunting!
I have only found one spot where it floods and produced morels in MN it was a large elm

·
Registered
618 Posts
Unfortunately we didn't get any moisture the last few days. It's going to be short yellow season here.. unless we get a few drops... Probably follow the blacks North!✌🏻 Thorn it out😎

·
Registered
145 Posts
Unfortunately we didn't get any moisture the last few days. It's going to be short yellow season here.. unless we get a few drops... Probably follow the blacks North!✌🏻 Thorn it out😎
I’m intrigued by the blacks. We don’t get them in Iowa. I do know a couple of spots where yellows come up yearly. I’ve picked mushrooms from those spots every year for the last 20 or so.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any sightings yet in Southern MN or the MN river valley?
I visited my brother in SE MN last Thursday/Friday and everywhere we went it seemed too early. What I have found in the river valley since appears to have popped up after the rain last week but then got stunted and torched over the weekend. It was nice to see a few, but yellows the size of your pinky and half-baked are a little disappointing. I'm just hoping that the cool temps stay long enough for some rain to come.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah they're up. Mighta missed the boat on the first good flush though. Talked to some folks who hit Mankato pretty hard, and I've been doin numbers in steele/rice/Dakota/Goodhue counties. Haven't talked to anyone else around me who has really had the luck that I've had, but I hit em early and I hit em hard.

Haven't had the opportunity to get out for a few days so dunno how it's lookin right this moment. Hopefully Goin out a little later today on private land west of Dundas. Will report back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dakota had good rain yesterday, the forecast is for 50's/30's for the next few days, then 60's/40's next week. I only have 1-2 hrs a day tops to search, any advice when to start heading out to catch the possible flush? Today too soon?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was out yesterday. Found one tree by the road of my property that had been raided by a pick and dash trespasser, although he missed 5 that I found. Kind of rude they do that. I caught one group one year and they had no remorse of trespassing til I called the Sherriff. I found three other trees with yellows that had just popped in the last few days, and about a couple dozen grays. One tree had some real nice grays; going back in a week to see if any yellows will follow. It's a weird year in SE MN, one tree on Sunday had a dozen yellows, and trees I am expecting to pop have nothing. I'm thinking its too chilly yet for all of them to pop, so going to be patient. Got more moisture last night; looking for some warmer temps. It's either going to be an extended season where patience is a virtue or a bust season. We will see. I'm finding them south and sw facing presently. Yellow up high, greys have been in the 700 foot ravines; where at my middle age, I don't like to go more than twice a Spring!!! Not a lot; most on one tree was about a dozen; still haven't found the motherlode yet this year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dakota had good rain yesterday, the forecast is for 50's/30's for the next few days, then 60's/40's next week. I only have 1-2 hrs a day tops to search, any advice when to start heading out to catch the possible flush? Today too soon?
They are up now; I'm about 5 miles from Dakota. Not a ton and scattered but you can find some. You might get luckier than I have been.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Go now. If you’re waiting for things to look right you’ll be too late. This dry ground is warming up fast.

301 - 320 of 667 Posts