Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

321 - 340 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thought I'd sign up so could chime in. Picked a dozen in MN River Valley this morning. All small grays between 2-4 inches. We had nice rain last night & all I picked were very fresh. I was out last week but nothing. Things seem to just be starting in my area.

Had something funny happen so I'll share. Was walking along & a buckthorn snapped back & nailed me right in the forehead. I said "golly gee" & a few choice words as the blood ran down my face.
So decided to stop at a DQ for a blizzard on the way home & when I pulled up to the window the young girl asked " You Ok mister? I'll take you to the UCARE if you need help"

So thus I became Mr. UCARE:D

Good luck to ya all

·
Registered
618 Posts
We had a few drips of rain. But not enough to put out a popcorn fart...so I don't think it's going to be a great yellow true esculanta year😎

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah they're up. Mighta missed the boat on the first good flush though. Talked to some folks who hit Mankato pretty hard, and I've been doin numbers in steele/rice/Dakota/Goodhue counties. Haven't talked to anyone else around me who has really had the luck that I've had, but I hit em early and I hit em hard.

Haven't had the opportunity to get out for a few days so dunno how it's lookin right this moment. Hopefully Goin out a little later today on private land west of Dundas. Will report back.
How do you get access to all this private land? Cold calling the land owners?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Finally found the tree. Not the mother lode per say but 75-100. It was refreshing to see them everywhere you looked. Walked for 4 hours on sw hills and found maybe 15. Then spent the last 45 minutes of daylight working north to northeast on the way back to the car and found that tree. Thank goodness because the miles would have stung without that tree.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
How do you get access to all this private land? Cold calling the land owners?
Correct. I usually try and make some connection to the property owner first like "hi, my name is treebeard, my cousin once punched your sister in the nose so I'm sorry about that.... Ummm... Let me hunt mushrooms?"

For real though, I offer to pick up trash, split mushrooms with them, and in the case of one property owner I promised them a pie. I keep a spreadsheet of what properties produce, and when they produce and contact info of landowner and copy of permission, etc.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Correct. I usually try and make some connection to the property owner first like "hi, my name is treebeard, my cousin once punched your sister in the nose so I'm sorry about that.... Ummm... Let me hunt mushrooms?"

For real though, I offer to pick up trash, split mushrooms with them, and in the case of one property owner I promised them a pie. I keep a spreadsheet of what properties produce, and when they produce and contact info of landowner and copy of permission, etc.
I rarely hunt private property. 95% of people looking for morels have no idea what they’re doing. Public ground always pays off for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I rarely hunt private property. 95% of people looking for morels have no idea what they’re doing. Public ground always pays off for me.
Private land is preferred if you have access to it as you don't have to worry about people being in front of you and you can wait on smaller mushrooms to get bigger. I will not agree to the 95% but it's pretty close. I've walked behind many of people who simply leave a lot of mushrooms behind. I have buddies that won't walk sections of woods because they see people parked in the area. I think if you're willing to put the miles in and know what to look for, you do just fine. In Minnesota we have access to fantastic mushroom hunting lands, if you walk you find them. We walked for 4 hours last night with about 10 apiece in the bag until we found the tree, eventually you will get paid if you put in the time in the woods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Private land is preferred if you have access to it as you don't have to worry about people being in front of you and you can wait on smaller mushrooms to get bigger. I will not agree to the 95% but it's pretty close. I've walked behind many of people who simply leave a lot of mushrooms behind. I have buddies that won't walk sections of woods because they see people parked in the area. I think if you're willing to put the miles in and know what to look for, you do just fine. In Minnesota we have access to fantastic mushroom hunting lands, if you walk you find them. We walked for 4 hours last night with about 10 apiece in the bag until we found the tree, eventually you will get paid if you put in the time in the woods.
I agree with Morelsrfun based on my 35 yrs of experience. I'm at the age now where I can't put on the miles- am happy to pick a couple of meals.

We had a little rain last night so headed out this morning. Only 7 but was glad to get that many. I've had worse days. Good to all this weekend.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with Morelsrfun based on my 35 yrs of experience. I'm at the age now where I can't put on the miles- am happy to pick a couple of meals.

We had a little rain last night so headed out this morning. Only 7 but was glad to get that many. I've had worse days. Good to all this weekend.
I'm hoping that I have a few more years left of putting the miles in and can garner enough easy spots for when I am not able. I had achilles surgery 5 years ago and every time i climb those bluffs it's in the back of my mind. Even in my mid 30's i'm slowing down quite a bit, and i'm sure i'll have a few folks rolling their eyes at me for my mid 30's comment :LOL: good luck to you and happy hunting to all!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’m not against hunting private land. I’ll go wherever the mushrooms are.
I’ve found that on public land, some people may know a few things and find a few mushrooms but in general they stick to what is close to the road. I hunt an area large enough that it doesn’t make a difference for me. (About 5square miles) I’ll walk through that close stuff twice a season. My first time in and my last time in. Don’t get suckered into looking where everyone else looks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’m not against hunting private land. I’ll go wherever the mushrooms are.
I’ve found that on public land, some people may know a few things and find a few mushrooms but in general they stick to what is close to the road. I hunt an area large enough that it doesn’t make a difference for me. (About 5square miles) I’ll walk through that close stuff twice a season. My first time in and my last time in. Don’t get suckered into looking where everyone else looks.
Oh and I know 4 different ways to get in. I generally don’t have to walk more than 2 miles a hunt total when picking mushrooms

321 - 340 of 667 Posts