Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

621 - 640 of 668 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
There’s also the Siberian elm, also known as a dwarf elm or scrub elm.
It gets even better. I stopped and got some steaks on my way home from todays find. I took the 3 Ribeyes and marinated them with a little worcestershire sauce and left them on the stove while I began some neglected chores. Well as I was gathering charcoal and news paper to start the grill my wifes says “what is this from the kitchen”. The pieces of styrofoam to pack the steaks were laying on the floor. 9 month puppy/dog ate 3 ribeyes. The price of his 2 months supply of food. He is in his kennel now. Pretty much ruined my day.
Ah memories'

·
Registered
138 Posts
we usually create one when times come near, we still have to squish one more week of morels. after that oysters and chickens get the most attention and then the real mushrooms come!! the chanterelles! no more spongy disgusting morels.... (dont forget the boletes)
I can't wait 😁

·
Registered
71 Posts
we usually create one when times come near, we still have to squish one more week of morels. after that oysters and chickens get the most attention and then the real mushrooms come!! the chanterelles! no more spongy disgusting morels.... (dont forget the boletes)
I love chanterelles and boletes. Chickens are overrated in my opinion, they just don't do it for me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Any time I’ve ever hit bigfoots it’s been on red elm. Never on a white elm. I’m curious as to what kind of trees you were finding them on.
Red elm, white elm, it doesn't matter. I found one last weekend over a foot tall under a white elm. Last week I found 2 under aspens, and a couple more under a wild apple. So, at least up here its not that specific.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Red elm, white elm, it doesn't matter. I found one last weekend over a foot tall under a white elm. Last week I found 2 under aspens, and a couple more under a wild apple. So, at least up here its not that specific.
Good to know. It must just be coincidence then. 🤷

·
Registered
908 Posts
Cant forget a few high calories beers. Cant have one until your first find.

That is what the pros do. I had a 9 lb haul up here in Rice Co. 3 hrs 10 acres. The perfect storm. I finally found a buyer and met with some pros/commercial hunters. They followed the season starting way south (AR/MO). Met them in Wabasha. They flew morels out daily. Those bluffs can be a challenge. 3/4/500 foot inclines, rattlers, rocks, slides etc.. When i first got in to Morel hunting it was in SE MN. Mostly Houston and Winona Counties. It is definitely safer and smarter to pair/group up. I have a few spots down there that I still remember from over 10 years ago. Only if I had the knowledge and all of you on the internet now back then. Blah, Blah, Blah..... respect those Bluffs.
3# an hour, sweet. I never had a day that good all year. In 2003, Iowa's greatest year ever in my picking lifetime, I picked 12# out of a ditch of elm in less than an hour. Spot never had another morel. What is nice about hunting big bluffs are all the different slopes and micro-climates created. You can find big yellows and smaller greys just going up, down, or over the top.

·
Registered
145 Posts
3# an hour, sweet. I never had a day that good all year. In 2003, Iowa's greatest year ever in my picking lifetime, I picked 12# out of a ditch of elm in less than an hour. Spot never had another morel. What is nice about hunting big bluffs are all the different slopes and micro-climates created. You can find big yellows and smaller greys just going up, down, or over the top.
I never had a 3# day all year. lol
My best 1 hour haul was 2016 for 14# all from 1 tree. Otherwise it was a mediocre year. The next year it threw 6 mushrooms. Year after that nothing. I haven’t looked at it since.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Aspen are in the same family as cottonwood, which are fantastic morel producers. Most of the commercially picked morels that come from Kansas and Nebraska come off the river cottonwoods.
Yeah I’ve found huge yellows around cottonwood but never considered them bigfoots. I guess I thought the bigfoots were the meaty browns 8-12” with a large cap, slender stem and big base.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Anyone out there finding any fresh young flushes? I have a couple more spots to check after the weekend, but thats about it for me.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Anyone out there finding any fresh young flushes? I have a couple more spots to check after the weekend, but thats about it for me.
To be a hard core morel hunter I think you have to be able to follow Winston Churchhill's definition of success. " The ability to move from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." I certainly failed more than I succeeded this year, even after 50 some years of hunting. This is probably what new pickers need to understand about morel hunting. Make it about the hunt, because if results are all that matters you will not be hunting long. Particularly if you plan on chasing south to north to follow the season.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just old flushes for me. I hit some north slopes around the metro today and found only sad, fallen specimens. I took pictures, but they’re kinda depressing. Not saying they’re not out there (and I’d be interested to hear if anyone does), but no luck for me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Finally got a quarter inch of rain yesterday. I will go out tomorrow, but the nights are in the mid 30s. I see a few pheasant backs, but they look tough. If we don't get more rain and some heat the oysters will be shot too.

·
Registered
279 Posts
To be a hard core morel hunter I think you have to be able to follow Winston Churchhill's definition of success. " The ability to move from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." I certainly failed more than I succeeded this year, even after 50 some years of hunting. This is probably what new pickers need to understand about morel hunting. Make it about the hunt, because if results are all that matters you will not be hunting long. Particularly if you plan on chasing south to north to follow the season.
Ha! Good Ole Winston! Hey, I definitely agree. Been doing this thing for over 40 years myself, and just love it every year for what it is. Love it so much that it has spun me into a whirlwind of spring, summer, and fall foraging. Love hunting, and this just allows me to do it for a good portion of the year. This is a sad year for me as well, but I have several meals in the frig and a few more meals of fresh oysters to enjoy. I took my family camping this weekend SE MN and we forgot to pack some shrooms for camp cookouts, so I might have to run for more oysters or pheasant back or anything tasty...

621 - 640 of 668 Posts