Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

661 - 668 of 668 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Well said, by both Sir Winston and yourself. I failed my whole first year! After discussions with some members of my fish and game club who gave me some additional tips, and went out the next year and had some success. Not a lot, but it kept me going!

There's a post on Ohio Game Fishing's wild edibles page with pics showing a major flush of yellow oysters. A quick google search showed that they are a prized edible in many parts of the world! I've never found them around here either, in fact oysters seem to be a rarity overall around here.
Yeah it can be very frustrating if you don't get a little help. Not everyone grew up picking morels with their parents, grandparents, and uncles like I did. My brother and I knew a good dead elm by the time we were 8 or 9 and were picking on our own. Pocket money for poor kids. Fruit stand paid $1.25 a # back in 1970. Of course dead elm where everywhere back then.

·
Registered
908 Posts
It makes sense that commercial pickers focus on cottonwood. You can pretty much train a monkey to walk in a line through a river bottom. No skill or knowledge required.
I agree on the skill level. But it seems most times those dang bottoms have the most morels. It just becomes a race to who gets there first then. Access to boat only areas is the ticket to the big hauls. I prefer hunting the hills and elm/ash myself, but if I hear the bottoms are on fire I can't help but go.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree on the skill level. But it seems most times those dang bottoms have the most morels. It just becomes a race to who gets there first then. Access to boat only areas is the ticket to the big hauls. I prefer hunting the hills and elm/ash myself, but if I hear the bottoms are on fire I can't help but go.
Yeah I’m the same way. I prefer the hills and ravines when I’m hunting and I hate racing to be first somewhere but I do walk a couple of miles of cottonwood bottoms too. I try to hit all types of trees and see what’s producing best that year and that shapes my plans.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My nephew lives in Denver.
He said burn morels are coming up in the 7500-8500 elevations right now.
Hi there! Would love a lil more info on this if possible 🤗 plenty of blondes found this season but really am trying to take a wack at finding some black/burned this season. Do you know If he was seeing those burn morels at actual burn sites or no? 🙏🏼

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi there! Would love a lil more info on this if possible 🤗 plenty of blondes found this season but really am trying to take a wack at finding some black/burned this season. Do you know If he was seeing those burn morels at actual burn sites or no? 🙏🏼
I believe he was near Red feather lakes west of ft Collins

661 - 668 of 668 Posts