Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

61 - 80 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I won’t venture any predictions, but looking back in my notes last year on this day, April 7, I had my first meal of nettles.
On the 11th, saw the first gyromitra spp.
Then on the 12th, we got a 6” snowstorm ;)

So far, the nettles are pretty sparse in my neck of the woods and no gyromitra yet. But this rain...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hey Shroomtrooper! Very Sorry to hear bout your Good Buddys passing. Pets are like kin as far as Im concerned. Sure he'll be hitting them hills right along with Ya in spirit! Seen that storm up your way..some upon us down here too! Getting close..
ya, it sucks but life goes on. I would have scouted a month ago if he was still around. But I went out today and got the juices flowing. Actually brought back memories of the times we had, its all good

·
Registered
250 Posts
really, I know it will be early if these temps keep up but if they come up and we get a frost, bad news. I am sorry to say my morel hunting buddy, Saske my black lab passed, it will be a different hiking without him. I would come home and he would rub his body on me like a cat. I sure miss him. As far as moister, its thundering as I type this.
So sorry for your loss!!! We had to put our guy down on July 4th. Our time in the woods definitely won't be the same.

·
Registered
537 Posts
So sorry for your loss!!! We had to put our guy down on July 4th. Our time in the woods definitely won't be the same.
Ya I hear you. Went out scouting yesterday, saw some ramps coming up, no fiddleheads yet. Was weird not lifting the old boy out of the Kia soul, I bought it because it was low to the ground and a decent size space for the kennel, ha who buys a car based on a dog, I am guilty. Soil temp in my front yard is 54 degrees, crazy. If this keeps up earliest season I have ever seen, good luck to all.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ya I hear you. Went out scouting yesterday, saw some ramps coming up, no fiddleheads yet. Was weird not lifting the old boy out of the Kia soul, I bought it because it was low to the ground and a decent size space for the kennel, ha who buys a car based on a dog, I am guilty. Soil temp in my front yard is 54 degrees, crazy. If this keeps up earliest season I have ever seen, good luck to all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Southern Iowa starting to pop, Im guessing/hoping we'll have a pretty typical year start wise. Still no consecutive nights in the 50s in sight. We could still get snow and frost. Ground temps in the woods I scouted still low 40s in sunny areas, this moisture will drop it further or keep it steady. One 90 degree day is an outlier at this point, hopefully we dont get too many more before the season starts. Rather have a typical spring than an early start just to have it get shut down by skyrocketing ground temps or the near inevitable cold snap we get 9.5 years out of ten.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It's going to be better either way. The rain is the most important piece of the puzzle. That's my opinion. Black morels aren't as fussy about ground temperature. Glad your doing ok. Sorry about your pooch.✌🏻
Ramps are pretty early, but delicious right now.
View attachment 37410 View attachment 37410
Take
Transplant in your yard Elm. I plant a few in my yard every year on north side.I have 50 this year. I'll go out Monday morning next week... Before the next cool front..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, I saw some small ramps in the woods while golfing in Chaska.

Crazy how early they're growing. Trees are nearly done budding in the cities.

This is really throwing my plans off. I might have to start hunting in the next two weeks.

So far I have not found a morel in April, so this might be the first season.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess with the winter we had and in a microclimate it's believable but idk. I'd believe it more with a receipt or of it was south more but Nebraska is just starting to report and iowa only has a few reports. Seems sketchy for the location

·
Registered
Morels
3 Posts
I am new here. I am also a new hunter. I have found 1 Morel in my life. Please someone teach me! Where do i begin?

·
Registered
537 Posts
NICE LOOKING RAMPS OLDELM
I am new here. I am also a new hunter. I have found 1 Morel in my life. Please someone teach me! Where do i begin?
I would start learning about permethrin for tick prevention and how to apply it. Then I would watch some videos on how to identify dying american or slippery elms, or if you up north aspen trees, some pines I was told for black morels. And of course keep popping in on this website where I have learned so much from, and welcome. I do not know much about black Morels, went up north once to find some, found 7. But they come up about the same time as yellows down in the Twin cites.

61 - 80 of 143 Posts