Minnesota morels 2017

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tommyjosh, Feb 23, 2017.

1. fluffhead2

fluffhead2 Morel Enthusiast

A buddy got me to go out and do a quick look this evening because of all that rain in the metro today. We found some monster yellows.

2. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

That's too bad OldElm. Wonder what's going on. My report found 28 yesterday some big and dry some fresh. Hope this rain spurs them on

3. Shroomtrooper 1

Where they cooked Completely? I am sure they where. Worst thing in the world seeing ones kid hurting

4. sw hunter

sw hunter Morel Enthusiast

i have not seen any fresh ones here in carver county for several days. are they done already? will this rain make them happy again?

5. Shroomtrooper 1

Morels are up key indicator 1494939292915-645290723.jpg

6. morchella ed

morchella ed Morel Connoisseur

Naw, just me and one other guy!

7. Dtails

Dtails Morel Connoisseur

Has anyone had luck up way up north by big fork??

8. MN Morel Dude

MN Morel Dude Morel Enthusiast

In the SE corner I went back to a spot on a southern facing slope and found a few more but they were very dry. On the other side of the valley (northern facing slope) they were good to go. I'll head out again today hoping that the rain is causing another push but I fear that we are coming to the end. However, a couple of trees that I found a bunch last year (northern facing slopes) have produced nothing so far so I'm crossing my fingers that they just weren't quite ready instead of those trees just being done.

9. MorelMonkey

MorelMonkey Morel Enthusiast

My gut and the amount of dried and rotten morels I have found so far in the last couple days is telling me they are done for the season!?! Man do I hope I am wrong about the season being done but my food dehydrated was filled will dead tiny (pill bug type) creatures from this weekends finds this morning. The 30 or so I had found were way past prime.

People had been talking about this year being a bumper crop but I ain't seeing it. A bunch of prior years spots produced nothing this season.

10. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

From our New York friend: Bigfish1212

Crisp up some pancetta in a pan then take out the crisp pancetta and set aside. Fry up your morels and some shallots in the pancetta fat until slightly browned then remove and set aside. Meanwhile take some boneless chicken thighs and coat in seasoned flour, after your mushrooms are cooked throw your chicken thighs in the same pan and brown on each side and remove. Then deglaze the pan with some white wine and reduce. And some chicken stock and put everything back in the pan and add your peas let it reduce and let your chicken finish cooking. Finish with some cream at the end.
    Enjoy http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums...9-D546-4CE1-A06E-780B25977722_zps3uqtgknf.jpg
    Bigfish1212, 10,000 taste buds AREN'T wrong. Your recipe was outstanding. I will not share my leftovers. No salt or pepper needed. The Pancetta was a great treat. A bit pricey for a cheapskate like me. I did add chicken broth and then thought it may be too runny, so i added cornstarch with the cream. I saw you served on a pasta side dish, could also use rice I guess. I wasn't having of that filler. What else you gotz...I'm cooking! Sorry to all, as I'm learning how to jumble multiple messages into one.

Attached Files:

• a" style="margin: 0px; padding: 10px 10px 0px; overflow: hidden; zoom: 1; background: none center top repeat-x rgb(252, 249, 247); border-radius: 4px;">
    • [​IMG]
      NY1.jpg
      File size:
      328.8 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY2.jpg
      File size:
      318.5 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY3.jpg
      File size:
      344.6 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY4.jpg
      File size:
      475.4 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY5.jpg
      File size:
      406.2 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY6.jpg
      File size:
      344.5 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY7.jpg
      File size:
      365.5 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY8.jpg
      File size:
      284.1 KB
      Views:
    • [​IMG]
      NY9.jpg
      File size:
      301.7 KB
      Views:

11. MorelMonkey

MorelMonkey Morel Enthusiast

Looks delicious! Gotta love spring.

12. ksmorelhunter

ksmorelhunter Morel Enthusiast

MN Morel Dude, let us know how you do. I'm hoping the north slopes still have fresh morels, but all of this rain could cause issues now. Let me know if they are fresh and if you find any small or gray morels.

StumpJumper89 likes this.
  13. StumpJumper89

StumpJumper89 Young Morel

14. kb st.joe.mo

kb st.joe.mo Morel Enthusiast

shroomtrooper, going into withdrawals down here. think it will be to late to come up north by Friday? Next year is so far away it is killing me already. How has your year been?

15. Dtails

Dtails Morel Connoisseur

Got some today dodging & ducking thorns and mud and bugs!! Happy haul for me

Attached Files:

16. Shroomtrooper 1

Depends how far north. They are spotty in the metro area. Going good 80 miles north good luck. But what will the rain we had do? Hoping it will get some more up.where you at

17. sw hunter

sw hunter Morel Enthusiast

out tonight again in carver county, found only 10 that were days old. nothing new. i am thinking its over here for me. never did find any big monsters this year. probably about 250 total over the last 3 weeks.

18. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Strooper its done here and I'm 80 miles north of you! We needed the rain last week got it today haven't seen a drop before then all inchers ti micro schrooms. Goodluck to anybody coming up. Let me know. Public land has been beat down. Hope you have private or your wasting your time. I love to be proved wrong but it better be more than 1 person. Buckthornman is already in the garden.....later

19. little fish

little fish Morel Enthusiast

Found 2 monster yellows tonight in the south metro

20. Rumpelshroomskin

Rumpelshroomskin Young Morel

Buck are you 80 miles north of the Twin Cities?