Minnesota morels 2017

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tommyjosh, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Lisse Michaels

Lisse Michaels Morel Connoisseur

OMG

Sweet score! Way to go Dan!!

2. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

Dan is the man, way to go

3. Dan Dan the mushroom man

Dan Dan the mushroom man Morel Enthusiast

Mushroom Assassin strikes again 2017 more pics to come

Lisse Michaels likes this.
  4. judy j

judy j Morel Enthusiast

What part of the state are you in?

5. Lisse Michaels

Lisse Michaels Morel Connoisseur

North West Angle was AMAZEBALLS yesterday!!!

I was shocked at the size of some we found yesterday. You could see them from the road.

Attached Files:

Dtails likes this.
  6. Dan Dan the mushroom man

5 different states I follow them for about a month and a half . And about to wrap my 2017 season up here in duluth and head for home in Indiana. Nothing better than doing what I do. Started out 40 years ago with my grandma and have been hunting since. Enjoy the hike and the thrill of finding yellow carpet on the forest floor. Thank you Jesus

Dtails and Lisse Michaels like this.
  7. Dtails

Dtails Morel Connoisseur

Wow d d that's awesome!!! Can wait to get out tomorrow

8. duke

duke Morel Connoisseur

You should drop me off some Dan I have some people who would like some for next Saturday. I believe you know me. Duke

9. Dan Dan the mushroom man

Cant say I know any Duke . Gotta get out and find them . Enjoy the hike

10. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Nice job dan you had a great grandma! Literally! Thx for the input. Buckthornman

11. Dan Dan the mushroom man

Your welcome bro!! Enjoy the hike I have more pics to come . Have to get back to reality after ten hour drive home back to work Tommorow ugh.... My 2017 season is over its a long 10 and a half months to wait but well worth the adrenaline rush of yellow carpet. All it takes is one tree

12. kb st.joe.mo

kb st.joe.mo Morel Enthusiast

Lisse M. , the morels like the higher PH of the limestone soil, I have picked them out of limestone quarries down here my entire life. Dan, veteran move there my man. People make a big deal out of plastic. I use perforated half bushel apple bags. Mesh lets the critters out better, but in thick brush or rain give me plastic. In my opinion spore spreading is a waste of time, but if it makes people happy go for it. Heck of a haul there, all in Minn? Down here people avoid the hills and join the crowds in the bottoms. Sounds like your spots are similar.

13. Dan Dan the mushroom man

14. Dan Dan the mushroom man

People will always have something to complain about lol. I have been hunting for years and hav'nt ran across a more dedicated hunter yet. I have good competition hunting with me sometimes. Its often a race to the tree just to get that first glance at them or pick the biggest one. And yes the 58 pound pic is in Minnesota 15hours of hunting in 2 days. The other 60pd I picked is from Indiana and mich and Wisconsin I travel and follow them up to duluth. From April til memorial day then I hang it up. Alot of people get mad I sell them but I use any money made to pay for gas and hotels to keep on hunting. God is good!!

15. Dan Dan the mushroom man

16. Dan Dan the mushroom man

And I give some to family and elderly that can't hunt anymore to enjoy. A firm believer in good Karma and God. My wife and kids enjoy it to .I cant count how many 30 plus pound hunts We have had in the last 40 plus years.Alot of Elm ash and apple trees produced shrooms for us.I went to a spot last year that had atleast 60 pd rottedI was a week late and no rain and the heat got them. Got there on time this year .Enjoy the hike

17. kb st.joe.mo

kb st.joe.mo Morel Enthusiast

All sounds familiar DD. I started with my grandparents, uncles, dad, and brothers back in the 60's. I am about the only one in the family left picking. We have some pretty dedicated morel chasers out our way. Here the path goes Okl, mo. , Kan, Neb, Iowa. and ends up where you are . Maybe a little S. Dakota or Illinois tossed in. Hunt a lot of cottonwoods out here, some maples, yep on the ash and elm. I have sold them since I was old enough to pick them. Give away gobs. Went for $1.75 a pound back in 1968 to local fruit markets. Sounds like you have found some good areas to hunt over the years. Always like to try a new state.

18. Dan Dan the mushroom man

That sounds like a good chase and following. Alot of great times shared and memories Im sure.

Dtails likes this.
  19. morelmaniacmn

morelmaniacmn Morel Connoisseur

They're still going in Central MN...found some of these pretty blondes yesterday. They were extremely fresh. Back out tomorrow in hopes of finding a good tree. Good luck to all![​IMG]

Dtails and Lisse Michaels like this.