Minnesota morels 2017

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tommyjosh, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Lisse Michaels

Lisse Michaels Morel Connoisseur

That makes a lot of sense - that morels like the higher PH of the limestone soil. We have A LOT of limestone in Manitoba.

2. kb st.joe.mo

kb st.joe.mo Morel Enthusiast

Lisse, I have been trying to figure out the mega flushes of morels for much of my life. I really believe that a increase in soil Ph is a huge factor. The mountain burns loaded with morels is a good example. The ash increases the Ph. Droughts increase a soils Ph. The spring after the drought of 2011-2012 in Kansas filled semi- trucks full of morels. The disturbed soil over the limestone does the same . Sounds like I may need to give Canada a shot. Have canoed the Boundary Waters into Canada, but never hunted morels there. What do you think Dan, are we stopping to soon?

Lisse Michaels likes this.

3. Lisse Michaels

4. cocowheats

cocowheats Morel Enthusiast

Dan what do you look for in the Duluth area? I live in Two harbors and never find any

5. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

This season--my 54th if memory serves me--I've come to realize that the epitome of one's experience of this pursuit resides deep within the spirit. The hunt is tantamount to a quasi-religious faith--shamanic of sorts, perhaps. How deeply did you go into the woods? Did you become one with it? Not I.

It's a profound and disconcerting awakening to realize that one's spirit was absent during the glorious revival of much of what I've longed for each of these 54 years. Distracted, disillusioned, disengaged. But from these ashes arise the phoenix of hope for another year. I'll kindle that fire.

To those whose spirits were deeply immersed and who came to know themselves better for it, I both admire and envy you.

Salute!

1 person likes this.
  6. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

Salute to you also shroom God. Had a glorious year, even so working on making next year even better. But not in quantity, but in substance.

7. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Hey Trooper, I catch your drift on substance. That's where it's at. Revel in it. A slight bit empty here, and I'd follow the season and head to borderlands if life would permit it. But I must content myself with counting days and imbuing my 'shrooming sticks with the spirit's yearning for yet another (and more substantive) season. Time--relative to change, and continuity; I'm spending plenty of it trying to grasp it. That is this season's gift to me. I salute you back, Trooper.

8. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Cuz time its always,always time.....hey shroomdog. Bucky. Give us a good long story plz and thk u.

9. kb st.joe.mo

kb st.joe.mo Morel Enthusiast

You guys can come pick with me any day. Its always about living in the moment in morel season. When a person can do that every hunt is a new adventure.

10. Shroomtrooper 1

We will have to get a pick party going next year, might be hard to find a neutral spot tjo, hee hee

11. MorelMonkey

MorelMonkey Morel Enthusiast

My trip up north last week was fruitful! Right next to the border. Came across about 35 blacks. Could not believe it. Checked a bunch of locations but only one area really produced. Imagine that.

It's weird, I am use to greys and yellows around elms but these blacks were sometimes next to a big dead birch/aspen and sometimes right at the base of a coniferous pine tree.
    0531171631.jpg 0531171101.jpg 0531171453.jpg

YEAH! Caught all three colors this year!
    But incredibly bummed that the season is basically over till next year. I must find a new fix. Maybe chicken of the woods soon?

12. morelmaniacmn

morelmaniacmn Morel Connoisseur

Yep, up north it's all about the ASPEN

13. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

We could use some rain sooner, than later.

14. Lisse Michaels

Nice! I'm glad you found some!!

Yes, I'm really bummed that the season is over already up here. It's been way too hot for the last week or so. Now I'm counting down for chanterelle season.

15. buckthornman

Last year a friend of mine gave me some wine caps thx. 10 nice big clean came up in the wood chips by the lilacs. Pretty easy transplant. Just sprinkle on woodchips a waalaaa! Cool very cool....bucky

16. tundraking

tundraking Morel Connoisseur

Yep, lookin pretty dry out there, but even with no rain the oysters and chickens are going good!

17. Shroomtrooper 1

Next good soaking do you think the boletes will start up? Anyone finding crown tips yet?

18. buckthornman

Nope troop. Need rain for wrot bro! Lol other than some poisnous stuff. Wine caps were a suprise:) funny how we get little signs! Buckthornman....

19. buckthornman

What cha doing elm. Curious I am ? Bucky

20. Lisse Michaels

So now speaking of lilacs... Lilacs in bloom are one of the signs I go by for morels.

We had a few lilacs bloom about 4 weeks ago, and then nothing. The last 3-4 days the lilacs have gone stupid crazy. I don't think I have ever seen so many flowers before!!

Should I be investigating the deep woods for morels? Or am I being obsessive? Or just unwilling to accept the fact that the season is over?? LOLLLLLL