Minnesota morels 2017

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tommyjosh, Feb 23, 2017.

1. MorelMonkey

MorelMonkey Morel Enthusiast

Lisse if you can handle the ticks and mosquitoes I would say go for it.

I want to go out myself and keep checking the deeper woods but I have had more ticks on me this season than ever before and need a break. My poor dogs got it bad too this year, luckily they are on Frontline so the ticks just die in their fur but still... picking them out a week after being in the woods is just gross.

Alas, I will likely venture out again anyways because that is how you find the chickens and chanterelles which I have yet to check off my list.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Lisse Michaels likes this.
  2. Lisse Michaels

Lisse Michaels Morel Connoisseur

Ohhhhh... the ticks are AWFUL this year! I can handle the skeeters, but I can't stand ticks. I have clothing treated with permethrin, which I find helps a lot. And military grade DEET before the clothes. I'm so paranoid about ticks, not so much because of Lyme; more so because of Powassan virus.

Awww... your poor dogs! Our rotties used to get so many ticks when my hubby still was on the farm. Even with Advantix, I'd still find the damn things swelled up the size of a grape in the dog beds. My skin is crawling just thinking about it!

I love chanterelles. My Dad is German (born in Bavaria) and I used to go pick with him as far back as I can remember. We called them by the German name 'pfifferlinge' and I have so many in my freezer that I eat them every second day.

You haven't picked them before? Come up to Manitoba any time after July 1st, and I'll be happy to take you to some of the most amazing chanterelle patches you'll ever see!!

3. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

OldElm here. Bucky just been eating good, Crappie fishing, taggin Trout & tormenting Turtles, and waiting impatiently for the Chantrelles to pop!

upload_2017-6-8_18-59-49.png

upload_2017-6-8_19-0-39.png

4. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Trooper, how's the new wheels working out? I'm counting on ya to come on out here, and sniff us out some more of those Luscious Large Lobsters again this year. If we take your new car nobody will know it's us, and we'll be able to sneak off on all the creepers!! We'll leave my O'le car parked by some shitty woods as a decoy.
    Brilliant Aye!!

5. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

Car is awesome. Never had such a newer car. I will not let my dog in it ha. That's saying alot if you know me as the dog is laying at my feet in bed ha. Still got the 1999 ford expedition I cart him around in. Tranny is slipping in higher gears. Once I get more money up I will have it looked at, still need it. Never would take this down logging roads up north. Hope your doing well, really missed hooking up with you this morel season, got to keep the friendship alive if ya know what I mean. We got to connect with bucky, but he will soon be really busy if he isn't already. Did they have the child yet, hey bucky are you a dad Now? Or Again?

6. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Nope not yet:) Mrs.thorn is getting awfully full! Me and little thorn got into a batch of crappie ourselves. My daughter got to use the ole Cain pole method! What a blast! Another dying tradition. Although you need a semi truck to haul the darn thing. Thank god it spends most it's life on the cabin wall! And the spawn was at the end of the dock! Yeeeehaaaaw and yummy. Trout looks good elm. Troop working hard new wheels. Damn gonna have to plant new homing device!!!!:) bugtickthornman!!!!later..

7. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Lisse I'd have to look but that's just Bucky!!:)

8. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

B7BDB8B6-4B37-4334-BA2F-39C66EC613C7.jpeg Thought I’d share this one weekend from last year

9. Theresa Campbell

Theresa Campbell Young Morel

I would love to find some. But I'd would definitely buy some

10. Mother load

Mother load Morel Connoisseur

Not to be a smart ass but you may have better luck on the 2018 board.

Lisse Michaels and Inthewild like this.
  11. Lisse Michaels

Lisse Michaels Morel Connoisseur

I was thinking the same thing!!