Minnesota morels 2017

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tommyjosh, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Bucky, "OldElm" here; the door is always open for ya anytime.

Went out after work today, the ramps are up but small, no fiddle heads @ all, and that was @ my early spot. So we're still out a good 10 days at least here. Gonna go trout fish the Rush River with my brother on Monday, prob get a load of Ramps down there while we're at it.

JDizz likes this.
  2. Old Elm

Trooper, that's the way one of my ex-wives does it, marks em all in the fall. She gave me a boat load of it last spring & when I asked where she picked it she said by the Afton Apple orchard, well knowing all the pesticides they use there I figured she's still out to poison me & didn't eat any. :)

Inthewild and fluffhead2 like this.

3. bigrobshroommn

bigrobshroommn Morel Connoisseur

Thanks for all of the asparagus pointers. A guy I used to work with was always talking about the wild asparagus down by Faribault and Owatonna, by all the old canning factory's. I do recall him mentioning roadside/ditch. I swear he was out looking just before the morels started popping. Speaking of..... lots of rain the past two days. More forecasted through this next week. I have a really good feeling that all of the pieces are lining up for a bumper season. Happy Easter.

4. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

yes, shaping up to be a good season. now if the dogs gash on his head does not open up I am set. He loves hunting morels more than me. He just bulls his way ,nose to the ground through the woods. First time I took him out grouse hunting we are in the tent, 2 owls talking back in forth, then they stopped and then the wolves started up, getting ready for the nights hunt. I put my arm around the dog seeing the dog would be nervous with the wolves carrying on.......... and my finger went right though his chest. I got a flashlight and dam, he impaled himself with a stick. so broke camp early went to a vet on a Sunday where they charged almost double, but hey its my buddy. no sign of him being hurt, you really got to inspect your dog every hunt. Heck every walk with this nut.

5. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

Ferns just barely seeing green. Thought I saw mr wren but was a fat sparrow. Got my heart thumping. Elm pretty sure she is trying to poison you. Well happy easter everyone let the good lord bless us with bontiful harvest in the coming weeks! O I thought of a piece of info I've never seen ramps even close to black morels.A whole different forest.

6. btetzl50

btetzl50 Morel Enthusiast

I heard cutting them like calamari rings and tossing in cornstarch is a great way to fry 'em up.

1 person likes this.
  7. Morel Bandit

Morel Bandit Morel Enthusiast

Another long time follower of all you guys! Live in far SE MN (bluff country) and checked a few sunny ridge tops yesterday and fiddleheads only about 1''....temps got me excited but my senses are saying last week of april should be a good starting week for me.

1 person likes this.
  8. Shroomtrooper 1

I think your right Bandit

9. Morel Bandit

Morel Bandit Morel Enthusiast

I like to get out and do a good hike each weekend starting early april to mainly scout new area's but just getting the sight of prime elms in my head and working up a sweat help make the most out of the primetime!

10. morchella ed

morchella ed Morel Enthusiast

Went down to Missouri this weekend, which I said I would do. We spent all day Friday and Saturday hunting and only found a couple mediocre ones. There are so many more hunters down there. Saturday morning, we were in a fantastic spot with lots of potential, but we saw at least 20 people all wandering the woods with Wal-Mart bags and it became apparent why we weren't finding much. At first we were really close to the KS City area. We moved further northwest once it became clear conditions should be right throughout most of the state (despite reports online of people north of KC not finding much). After moving further north, we found a decent spot. No morels in our basket, but a guy I ran into had a couple pounds of big yellows. Looked to be a couple big footed ones in there, signaling the near end of the season. He said "it's a weird year, they're few and far between." No honey holes for most of the folks I talked to down there. Yesterday morning, we checked out one more spot. After about three hours of hunting we came out with some really nice and beautiful morels, some good sized ones. We never found more than two next to a single tree, but they were nice and big. In MN when I've found them that large there's usually a whole bunch...It was an interesting weekend. I think their hunt down there was a lot like ours up here last year. I do worry about how the hunt is increasingly going to be variable and challenging with the changing conditions of climate change. IMG_0085.JPG

2 people like this.
  11. morchella ed

I like that idea for a Hen soup. It's so easy to find a shit ton of that stuff, but tough to find enough ways to use it all up. I think that's a fine idea. Maybe with some cauliflower puree in there too.

1 person likes this.
  12. morchella ed

Oh, ps: how far are you folks willing to go when eating morels. This is with respect to two specific thoughts. One, I found a discolored morel this weekend on my trip in MO. it was old, but not moldy, no worms, just a weird reddish color. I've heard sun can do that. Is there reason not to eat it? I do keep a jar of dried morel "bits" or the kinda crumby ones, that I grinding into a powder for soup. Should it be relegated to the scrap jar?

Second question: when finding morels in a town park or on the side of the street, how cautious are you about not eating them? Obviously, mushrooms absorb a lot of chemicals and what not, but I know I eat a lot of fish for one that isn't too different. What're folks takes on where they draw the line for a morel they simply will not eat? I imagine there's people out there who do not have that line!!

Attached Files:

13. Old Elm

morchella Ed,
    Thanks for the intel, never a wasted trip/hunt if you learned something.

14. irtsylle

irtsylle Morel Enthusiast

I'm in far SE MN as well, a handful of miles off the IA border. It's good to know there's one more of us out there. If we're close to each other, it'd be awesome to share some intel. I'm banking on the last week of April too. Good luck bud.

I personally do it on a single mushroom basis, and I don't stick to a "hard and fast rule." Just by looking at one I can tell if I'd eat it or not, and that just comes from experience. The red coloring can happen if they get a bit burnt/dehydrated, but color can also come from the soil/other environmental contributing factors. I worry most about contamination from roads and adjacent polluters, so I just don't bother searching if I'm close to anything like that and just stick in the deep woods.

If the mushroom looks and feels firm, comes from a healthy area and the coloring looks good (a little red is fine), I'd eat it, but that's just me....

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  15. lotsofish

lotsofish Morel Enthusiast

stcroix rob, ebird has reports of House Wren spottings near Northfield, Farmington, and St Paul, all within the past 2 days.

16. buckthornman

Don't be a hater.wren o meter defcon 2. This rain has got me more excited then robin in a night crawler stand! Ed thanks for the info. I cut anything bad off and eat. I've found rusty looking ones before not sure I think its the soil And rocks. As far as sharp, sharp enough to splt a frogs hair three ways! Everyone needs to get there eyes in focus. Into the thorn gang!!!! Bucky

17. Shroomtrooper 1

morcella I try not to pick Morels by busy streets, and I do not pick Hens in a area with a lot of dog walkers either. If you know what I mean. I have picked hens before which I was lazy and just froze without cleaning them very good, almost impossible to get the dirt out of them after they froze. Ended up pureeing them and running it through a cheese cloth and made soup. I did not taste one bit of dirt which I was pleasantly surprised. Glad you had luck down south, keep us posted.

18. Boiled Owl Eye

Boiled Owl Eye Morel Connoisseur

I have like totally searched amazon, and google for a wren 0 meter,and don't see anything mentioned or shown about one. Mind my asking where you got yours?

19. buckthornman

Sorry owl me and oldelm are the only ones in the world to own it. He invented it but I'm the only one that knows how to read and work it! Ornithology wasn't your thing huh. And trooper is saying it doesn't extend do different trees. It makes for a great first flush and a longer season.and I'm not talking about the toilet! Lmao...:) owl you must wait like the rest. O so close... just got back from the thorn and its really transforming perfectly. We had little over a inch of rain, which I couldn't of ordered on such a critical time. Thx again mamma nature and spirit in the sky. Buck

1 person likes this.
  20. bigrobshroommn

bigrobshroommn Morel Connoisseur

Would you consider the morchella a plant?