Minnesota Morels 2020 Mud Ducks

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by Old Elm, Feb 24, 2020.

1. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

Spot 2 has lots of trout lilly that will start to show up when it gets a little warmer here not the right conditions yet for them to start growing.

1 person likes this.
  2. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

I got to agree with what you said.. At a glance they may look similar but the timing ,bulb and smell tell you ramps... I have Lilly’s in my yard and will not see them poke up for awhile..I do think they are the best smelling flower but don’t eat them...

3. jg010682

1200px-Convallaria_majalis_0002.JPG Dogtooth-Violet-600x400.gif 20190428_122437.jpg first picture is lily of the valley second is trout lily third is forest carpeted with ramps. Lily of the valley looks similar but will not have a garlic smell to it

4. twisted minds

twisted minds Morel Connoisseur

Jg,In the Wild, and anyone else reading or following this thread. First off, wasn't proclaiming anything or stating fact. Just commenting on a picture posted. Even though I have a smartphone, can't find the scent feature, (haha), so obviously can't claim if it smells like garlic or not. And with it not flowering yet, can't and would never, ID from that feature either. Just relying on my experiences, that it is very early for ramps. And the lack of the o.p. recognition of the scarlet cup mushroom also, I just wanted to make sure that it was known, that even some of the most common edibles, can and do have look-alikes. If I'm wrong, it's no big deal, I have broad shoulders and can take it. But, if I were to ever see something that I thought may be a danger to another harvesting, and didn't reply . . . well that's something that I just am not going to shy away from commenting on.

5. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

@twisted minds @jg010682

If I came on a little strong with my rebuttal, well I just wanted to state my facts (or opinion) and apologize for being bold about it. I too want everyone to be safe and identify what they would be eating. I hope it helps. If these damn Morels would ever pop, we would have less time to cruze these forums and be out pickin. Enjoy the season!!!

6. jg010682

Its no problem i enjoy a good debate it helps people learn about how we each go about id on the many different plants and fungus we all love to consume. To everone else on here who is trying to learn from us i would say take it all in and learn from everone not just a single source. Find as much material as you can to read about what you are trying to learn there are many different field guides out there to learn from as well as what you have learned from us on here.

7. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

@Inthewild
    I think you stood there just fine

1 person likes this.
  8. leatherman

leatherman Morel Enthusiast

9. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

that's what this forum is for. I have learned a lot here. It could be a very early season, or a real bad one if it freezes when they first start to pop.

4 people like this.
  10. Shroomtrooper 1

When I first started foraging ramps I took some leaves to a garden center to see if they could ID them for sure, they said it looked like lily of the valley, but it was ramps. But none of them foraged for ramps. I am sure glad they smell like onion,garlic.

3 people like this.
  11. mntammy

mntammy Morel Enthusiast

I pray for your wife and the rest of the family. I appreciate your wife and all the nurses out there doing there best in the corona new world.

3 people like this.
  12. jg010682

20200405_105221.jpg Just thought i would post this pic of all the field guides i have to give some of the newbie some ideas for which ones to use. If some of you other more experienced foragers could post a picture of the ones you use that would be great.

13. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Trooper you have taught us all alot on here, THX’z for always being so generous with your knowledge & posting your findings.

14. treebeardlennon

treebeardlennon Morel Enthusiast

I know I said this once already, but ramps are reeeeaaaaaally starting to pop up all over SE MN right now. The tallest ones are about 5-6 inches give or take. IMG_20200405_172835.jpg

15. Shroomtrooper 1

Thanks bud, I really look forward to getting together once a year, altho we did not last year. Hopefully we can this year, We get in that foraging mode and so much ground to cover we sometimes forget to make time. You have taught me more than anyone and I thank you. This warm weather makes me a little nervous, if they start to pop and it freezes it could be bad. We will see. Morels before May, sure looks like it.

16. Shroomtrooper 1

love love love ramps

1 person likes this.
  17. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

Ticks ARE out. Time to spray. Best wishes for the season.

Attached Files:

• Bug.jpg
      Bug.jpg
      File size:
      747.5 KB
      Views:
    Kokomorel likes this.
  18. mntammy

mntammy Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing the beautiful photo of the trout lilies

19. jg010682

No problem had to look up pictures of them as i didnt have any same with the lily of the valley i actually took the picture of the ramps though that spot was amazing to see in person ive never seen so many of them in my life

1 person likes this.
  20. i_heart_shrooms

i_heart_shrooms Morel Connoisseur

Found some small ramps sprouting just south of the cities. Still pretty brown in the woods overall. This cold snap might delay the morels another week or so. Probably good they don't come up too early. Need a bit more deluges of rain though