Minnesota Morels 2020 Mud Ducks

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by Old Elm, Feb 24, 2020.

1. bigrobshroommn

bigrobshroommn Morel Connoisseur

How about frisbee golf. There was is beer drinking involved with that.

Jacob6464 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. mntammy

mntammy Morel Enthusiast

Hit 2 new areas and ran into fellow hunters. Nothing at first area. Hit another area only 2 we found were right off of the path. Hit our late spot and found the rest that were all fresh. Ran into a hunter there also. Last spot dense woods these were fresh.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.

3. bigrobshroommn

bigrobshroommn Morel Connoisseur

So for those who are striking it rich during this past week, what kind of terrain are you finding to be most successful?

1 person likes this.
  4. The Shit(aki)

The Shit(aki) Morel Enthusiast

surprisingly, I haven’t had any luck at all in the kinds of open spaces that I tend to see other hunters in, and had the most luck in elevated areas with pretty dense brush and mossy floors.

5. MN Morel Dude

MN Morel Dude Morel Enthusiast

I live in Winona county and I found 16 on a northern facing slope behind my house today. Very fresh. A friend and I went south to some state land and found a few on west facing slopes. They weren't as fresh. Focusing on my late spots tomorrow and from here on out unless I hear/see evidence of a late flush.

1 person likes this.
  6. lablisalisa

lablisalisa Morel Enthusiast

Frustrating season. Got about 9 lbs in 2 days, then today not 1 mushroom. Super frustrating! Been hunting sw minnesota. Want to make a complete jump to SE MN by Hastings and surrounding cities, but also don’t want to waste an entire day driving for nothing. Anyone know if that area has trees that are still producing good amounts? I’ve always had good look at Minnesota but thinking about crossing the border into Wisconsin any feedback? Maybe it sucks everywhere?

1 person likes this.
  7. SouthSlope

SouthSlope Morel Enthusiast

Found 13 tonight S of cities.

3 of them I had left for a week, so They were from before the rain and they had only grown 1”, so maybe 1.5” total. We found one patch of 3 beautiful 4” blonds near a dead aspen that I checked a week ago and there was nothing there a week ago.....then found several solos blonds that were 4” in a few miles of hiking.

Strange year as many have said. This is prime country where we usually take about 50-100/year. Seems like fewer big hits and spread out onesie/twosies.

Rechecked my early season spots and they are just done. Not a sign of life in 2 weeks.

All were found on S, SW slopes. On edges or within edge zone of woods. We hiked the woods and found nothing.

Found my first 6 - 2 weeks ago, 6 more last week, 13 today. Only went out once per week.

My perspective in my area is that the early greys are done. Season end blonds are up in low numbers. And if there is a good late season they are going to be tough to find in all the new growth.

1 person likes this.
  8. morchella ed

morchella ed Morel Connoisseur

That is the best story I have heard on here. Honestly I've only knocked on doors twice. The first time was a uneasy older lady who said she should check with her sons but she'd call me back. Then I got a call that the sons weren't comfortable with a stranger walking around on her property. Second time, no one was at the house. I felt discouraged by those experiences and never tried it again, but this is inspiration to keep at it. Thanks Shroomgod!

9. morchella ed

morchella ed Morel Connoisseur

Here’s my update from the last couple days: went out Wednesday all day. Found nothing on the higher up slopes (north sloping), found a few greys and some monster dirty grey-yellows in a valley near a creekbed. Then in a lowland spot with north facing slope behind found very nice beautiful blondes. Last year I found 80 greys in that spot, this year about 10 big pristine blondes. Hiked all day Thursday. Very little was found. A few old dried up blondes on steep south facing slopes, a couple decently fresh yellows in the valleys. Mostly nothing high up for both days and still pretty dry. I think this season is winding down folks but maybe I’m just winding down! Haha also every spot has had some cut stumps or cars parked on side of road (even random spots that I really don’t expect others to check) competition is steep out there this year folks!

10. Shoreview Spore Dude

Shoreview Spore Dude Morel Enthusiast

Are those salvaged stump trimmings at the top right? I definitely have resorted to doing that this year. I foraged more stump leftovers than actual morels on my last trip out. I felt a little pathetic doing so, but hey, waste not want not.

1 person likes this.
  11. CT_MUSH

CT_MUSH Morel Enthusiast

Can someone help me identify these? I left them be until I know what they are.

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

12. triarchy

triarchy Morel Enthusiast

A guess, maybe a Jack O'lantern or Omphalotus illudens? Check out the Kuo's Mushroom Expert site for more pics and description. If so, dont eat unless you are interested in a drastic weight loss program via vomiting and diarrhea :)

1 person likes this.
  13. rationalcog

rationalcog Morel Enthusiast

They look like they MIGHT be velvet foot (Flammulina velutipes). Heavy emphasis on might. Spore prints and some additional study would be needed to verify, since the deadly galerina can look similar. Mushrooms like this deserve a lot of respect and caution. Perhaps someone else can tell more from the pics — I’ve never found velvet foot, but I have found a lot of galerinas!

2 people like this.
  14. May madness

May madness Morel Enthusiast

20200522_124243.jpg one lone fresh one on lunch break it wasn't there on monday

15. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You got Life Looking Mighty Good there Man

16. HolMorel

HolMorel Morel Enthusiast

I’ve mostly given up, but I think I might go walk Minnehaha creek again. There’s a park In the cities that had a controlled burn very early spring this year. Worth a peek. ... might try to talk the family into a trip North this weekend?

17. MycoMania

MycoMania Morel Connoisseur

84 Today. My advice, push deep, if a woods isn't producing switch. Hit 3 areas today, 2 were onesie twosies...amounted to about a dozen. Then I got into a place that was thick with them, decent numbers and frequency. Hilly, lots of deep ravines, predominantly elm and cottonwood and both species were producing. Freshness varied which gives me hope. Humps and dips, typically good drainage and cover in areas that gently roll if you can envision what Im trying to get at.

Interiors, edges, early and late spots. Found a flush of about 40 growing out the side of a steep east facing ravine. Ever goat slide 50 feet just so you can get in position to spider crawl back up to a mushroom patch?

Attached Files:

18. tundraking

tundraking Morel Connoisseur

Holy crap Mycomania... Nice haul!

I’ve been driving by this tree every day by my house along the railroad tracks, and finally decided to take a look. Found a few hiding!
    Threw a find em’ pic in for some fun.

Attached Files:

MycoMania likes this.