Minnesota Morels 2020 Mud Ducks

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by Old Elm, Feb 24, 2020.

1. tundraking

tundraking Morel Connoisseur

Lets not forget pizza Friday!! E295F85F-06EE-4EB2-9FD5-19449684430C.jpeg

2. MycoMania

MycoMania Morel Connoisseur

Im guessing Jacks, don't Velvet Foots have a ring on the stipe? Maybe Im thinking of Honeys.

1 person likes this.

3. Fresh Forager

Fresh Forager Young Morel

Went on my first solo adventure about an hour south of the cities. This is my third attempt since I've started to learn what I'm looking for. Found these two cuties after stopping to take a picture of a couple of neat looking shelf mushrooms pushing the bark off of an old cottonwood. They were just sitting and waiting for me! Grabbed a couple of young pheasant backs as well and I'm planning on throwing them all into an omelette for breakfast.

Attached Files:

4. The Shit(aki)

The Shit(aki) Morel Enthusiast

5. bigrobshroommn

bigrobshroommn Morel Connoisseur

Hard work tends to pay off for those who persevere!

6. bigrobshroommn

I spotted 3

1 person likes this.
  7. bigrobshroommn

Spent 2 hours looking in a honey hole I found last year. Nothing! South and now written off. Went to another North facing and found these 4. Barely made it out. It got dark really quick.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. morchella ed

morchella ed Morel Connoisseur

Yep! You bet.

1 person likes this.
  9. morchella ed

It's not jack o lantern i'm pretty sure.

MycoMania likes this.
  10. morchella ed

Hey Myco, I'm assuming when you say elms were producing you're referring to dead elms. Were you also checking dead cottonwoods? I typically don't but maybe I'll convert! I know generally what to look for in terms of "how dead" a dead elm is (like peeling bark, branches, etc.), but what about with cottonwoods?

MycoMania likes this.
  11. MycoMania

I seem to find the most near elms who are shedding branch bark but the main trunk is just starting to blister up and away from the wood. I used to check every bare flagpole in the woods, now if the trunk is bare I just give the area a once over.

I always check cottons......beaver cuts, wind and lightning kills. I dont actively seek them out but when I see them I will go way out of my way to look. I find them near dying ash as well, but it seems to be a really specific environment.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    2 people like this.
  12. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

Picked 12 shrooms yesterday and left 3 behind to grow. Then came back and made breaded shrooms some wild asparagus that my brother picked and some snausages! 20200523_061648.jpg 20200522_231400.jpg

13. MycoMania

Ran out and checked a beautiful grouping of 5 BIG elms and a bunch of toothpicks in various stages of dying grouped up in probably about a quarter acre. Early spot, very open inner woods, little undergrowth, basically no cover terrain wise except a gentle slope. Third season since finding it, past two years produced big about 12-15 days after first tinies are reported in the metro. Found 15 there about 10 days ago, this was my third stop since, 2 past prime and that's it. Open western orientation, textbook example of what to avoid right now I think. Basically got mugged by the cold and rain.

2 people like this.
  14. Sam Segale

Sam Segale Morel Enthusiast

so is the season pretty much over? If I go north of the cities an hour do I have better potential there or keep going to spots in se sw mn and check north spots?

15. jg010682

Honestly i was just down by monticelo area and they were prety tuff to come by there but i think if we get this rain here the next few days we should get another flush. North of royalton though is pretty crispy needs rain for much of anything to happen i think.

16. bigrobshroommn

Id please.
    Have you ever had luck with the larger fallen trees that turn into moss bu

Attached Files:

17. Shoreview Spore Dude

Shoreview Spore Dude Morel Enthusiast

Those are beautiful fresh chickens. Nice find! I haven't seen any yet this year.

18. LoHaze

LoHaze Morel Enthusiast

Those look like chicken of the woods but I’ve always found them later in the summer

19. jg010682

That is lataporus sulfurous its one type of chicken of the woods that grows on wood the other one that we have here in mn is lataporus cincinnatus that one grow out of roots of trees and the other kind that grows on the tree we dont have here in Minnesota i would have to look up the name

MycoMania and (deleted member) like this.
  20. jg010682

Found some ousters got back and realized we could only salvage half of them they were full of magets already unfortunatly. 20200523_132549.jpg