Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

961 - 980 of 989 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Very interesting @Mason and Everyone
Well you still have all of your absolute information from that spot..
So Good Job on Confirmation!!
* your spot reminds me of two different spots of mine.. we call..
one..
* "Pig tails"
the other
* "Three tales end"
They are two separate 15 acre Valleys and are separated by the..
Main Ridge "Turkey Turn"
They're so awesome and intriguing
But we never find in them..
However we do find all around..
within an 1/8 mile
* Perhaps Me and Chewy will hunt there tomorrow..and may find something SUMMER FUNGI ..as you have View attachment 35170
Nice rig wade!!!!!!
Well that's it for me this spring. Found three new spots. Three old honey holes stopped producing. Anything to look forward to for the summer? I've exclusively only gone after morels.
The best mushrooms are yet to come!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,911 Posts
Nice rig wade!!!!!!
Oh...yes...im really Enjoying this Truck..
I always wanted one..got it for $400
* Me and Robinbluebird put the quick Camouflage paint job on it..
* its my Daily driver & Farm Truck
* everything works
*4cyl, 4x4, automatic transmission
* doesn't leak any fluids
* so small it will go where a jeep can't fit
* its already all banged up,
* so no worries if I Hit a Tree or scratch it up
* so I named it the "Tree Hugger"
* its a 1998 Chevrolet Tracker
* I'm gonna keep it..
* so I'm putting $$Money into Normal maintenance on suspension and such..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Oh...yes...im really Enjoying this Truck..
I always wanted one..got it for $400
* Me and Robinbluebird put the quick Camouflage paint job on it..
* its my Daily driver & Farm Truck
* everything works
*4cyl, 4x4, automatic transmission
* doesn't leak any fluids
* so small it will go where a jeep can't fit
* its already all banged up,
* so no worries if I Hit a Tree or scratch it up
* so I named it the "Tree Hugger"
* its a 1998 Chevrolet Tracker
* I'm gonna keep it..
* so I'm putting $$Money into Normal maintenance on suspension and such..

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the same thing, except the head gasket is out. Nice little rigs for crawling around, and early ice fishing!!! I jealous

·
Registered
824 Posts
Nice to find the chickens still in the witches butter stage, went out for a last search for morels yesterday and I don't know what is worse not finding anything or finding 3-4 lbs of crumbling bug infested giant yellows. You've got me switching gears towards chicken this week, your posts have me very motivated. Thanks and happy hunting! Oh yeah and watch out for ticks,walked through a hoard yesterday&had at least 20 on each leg. UUUGGGHHH!!!
Well at least the big ones tell you come back and visit next year. Just have a little better timing. I hit a tree like that in S. Iowa I had missed and it was to late. Sad, but the spores spread and it looks like it will still be good next year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well at least the big ones tell you come back and visit next year. Just have a little better timing. I hit a tree like that in S. Iowa I had missed and it was to late. Sad, but the spores spread and it looks like it will still be good next year.
Went out to one of my historically productive chicken trees this afternoon and BINGO witches butter about 8in wide and running more than 5ft continuously up with several other broken patches overhead! I'm betting on 15-20lbs in the next 2-3 days if anything like past years! Gonna need a bigger dehydrator! Only wish the farmers market was up and running so I could make a few extra bux.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Went out to one of my historically productive chicken trees this afternoon and BINGO witches butter about 8in wide and running more than 5ft continuously up with several other broken patches overhead! I'm betting on 15-20lbs in the next 2-3 days if anything like past years! Gonna need a bigger dehydrator! Only wish the farmers market was up and running so I could make a few extra bux.
You could always stand on a street corner and sell 'em. That works. Or craigslist. Or be selfish and freeze 'em! Split, clean, spin in a salad spinner, flour lightly, lay on wax paper on a tray, fast freeze, & bag. They'll taste as fresh as the day you picked them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You could always stand on a street corner and sell 'em. That works. Or craigslist. Or be selfish and freeze 'em! Split, clean, spin in a salad spinner, flour lightly, lay on wax paper on a tray, fast freeze, & bag. They'll taste as fresh as the day you picked them.
Thanks for the tips on preserving my yet to hatch chickens, have to admit I laughed pretty hard when I saw stand on the street corner and sell em'. But I'm not that kinda guy mister!! Lol.. Probably gonna eat til I get a belly ache then preserve a bunch and share the wealth with friends and family.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Update: went out to my chicken tree to check on progress and to my utter dismay some fooligan had scraped the whole thing within reach right down to the bark prematurely while they were still in the baton stage. Upper growths were about 8ft out of reach and still need another couple days to mature into full shelves. Might be able to harvest tomorrow unless they come back with a ladder and pillage the rest. Life goes on, just pushes me deeper into the forest to prospect further.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I would pick it there already seems to be bugs in it looks like. Otherwise your risking loosing a chicken to the magots.
Speaking of maggots. Up until a couple of years ago I had never seem worms in the stems of morels in the midwest areas I hunt. I know they are a problem in mountain areas where they harvest. A couple years ago I picked a box or so in C. Kansas. I put them in the fridge, and the next day a bunch of tiny white worms were in the bottom of the bags that had wiggled out. I assume some fly had laid eggs on them. I had never seen them before in Kansas and never since so far. Just wonder if you guys had ever had larvae infestations in your morels. These were not late season at all. Prime, fresh 2-4 inchers. Hope I never see them again. Not into any extra protein. I expect the usual insects, these were out of the normal.

961 - 980 of 989 Posts