Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

981 - 989 of 989 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Update: went out to my chicken tree to check on progress and to my utter dismay some fooligan had scraped the whole thing within reach right down to the bark prematurely while they were still in the baton stage. Upper growths were about 8ft out of reach and still need another couple days to mature into full shelves. Might be able to harvest tomorrow unless they come back with a ladder and pillage the rest. Life goes on, just pushes me deeper into the forest to prospect further.
Don't you hate it. I left over 300 finger nail size morels on some trees years ago, next day some fool picked them, and stepped on what he didn't. Even worse they trespassed on family land to do it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
You could always stand on a street corner and sell 'em. That works. Or craigslist. Or be selfish and freeze 'em! Split, clean, spin in a salad spinner, flour lightly, lay on wax paper on a tray, fast freeze, & bag. They'll taste as fresh as the day you picked them.
Kind of fun standing on the corner and selling if you never done it. Morels I mean. I used to make up a big sign, stack a few bags on the hood, and watch the heads turn, or U turns. Local food inspector made me stop, said I might poison someone. I guess I have seen a few dummies on facebook that might not know what a morel is, but really? Had to go take a class and get officially licensed. Go figure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't you hate it. I left over 300 finger nail size morels on some trees years ago, next day some fool picked them, and stepped on what he didn't. Even worse they trespassed on family land to do it.
Yeah that is a true shame when people trespass and pillage your rightful resources with no respect for anything! My situation was quite a bit different being I found shrooms on public access and all I can do is count it as a case of counting my chickens before they're hatched. Not stopping me from enjoying the things that the earth provides, but helps me appreciate it more when I do partake of its bounty and teaching our kids about being a responsible steward of the land is the ultimate legacy to leave if any in my opinion. Thanks for sharing and letting me vent a slight frustration in turn.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I thought about Nerstrand as well. Glad I didn't bother now. However I've been there mushroom hunting before with the parking lot full and with Mn Mycological Society and still did pretty good. It is a big park with lots of hard to get to corners.
I've only hunted morels there once and didn't find any. Might have been too early or a bad year or looking in the wrong areas.

It's pretty good for any other type of mushroom though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Speaking of maggots. Up until a couple of years ago I had never seem worms in the stems of morels in the midwest areas I hunt. I know they are a problem in mountain areas where they harvest. A couple years ago I picked a box or so in C. Kansas. I put them in the fridge, and the next day a bunch of tiny white worms were in the bottom of the bags that had wiggled out. I assume some fly had laid eggs on them. I had never seen them before in Kansas and never since so far. Just wonder if you guys had ever had larvae infestations in your morels. These were not late season at all. Prime, fresh 2-4 inchers. Hope I never see them again. Not into any extra protein. I expect the usual insects, these were out of the normal.
Yeah sounds unique to the region to me, most of the critters I found in past years were tiny ants and the occasional slugs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just a heads up to everyone, JG started a summertime thread for other types of shrooms this year! So check us out on there. June is here and its a great start to a summer season!
Minnesota summertime edibles 2020

981 - 989 of 989 Posts