Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
221 - 240 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is permethrin harmful to humans at all.
It is cleared to use even on infants for lice and stuff. I looked it up before, you pretty much spray a day before and not when you're wearing it. My best friend was diagnosed with Lyme 2 years ago so I've seen the trouble he's had with it. I've also been tested the last 2 years after several bites a year. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It is cleared to use even on infants for lice and stuff. I looked it up before, you pretty much spray a day before and not when you're wearing it. My best friend was diagnosed with Lyme 2 years ago so I've seen the trouble he's had with it. I've also been tested the last 2 years after several bites a year. I would recommend it.
Sounds good, I hope your friends doing alright. Lyme disease can be tough.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For ramps I suggest only picking one of the two leaves, refrigerate in a paper bag, then use the leaves within 3 days. Ramps can take 10 years to mature so over harvesting all the ramp roots in an area can prevent regrowth for a very long time. I picked in Alexandria last weekend so even though Morels are just getting started, fiddle heads and hop shoots are pretty much done already. Ramps are ready through the first half of the state. Everything seems to be about 8 days late this year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's funny because my brothers been telling me to get onX. I will say I have spent a lot of time scouting areas and I've spent half a year getting my trees down to the best of my ability and it's payed off. I'm 14 by the way and I started this morel thing with my dad 5 years ago. When we started we had no clue what we were doing. The only hint we had for identifying elm trees was that there shaped like an umbrella. In our first year hunting we got 115 morels, I'm not going to lie though I think we got pretty lucky finding them. Then in my second and third year we did ok and got about 50 each year. And last year was awful, none of our spots produced and we had to venture out for new spots. We ended up with 20 the whole year. I absolutely loved morels so I decided to put my time into it. I spent hundreds of hours in the woods throughout the winter. I watched hundreds of videos on YouTube or morel hunting and tree identification. My hard work I put in is looking like it's paid off and now I'm set to check hundreds of elm trees, hundreds of Apple trees, and a bunch of ash, there is a lot of Oak, Maple, and Cottonwood around here so I might check the theory of White Oak and Sugar Maples being good trees as well. I tell you what if your a beginner do exactly what I did. Put your time in when you have the time to do it. Get out in the woods even in the winter to find some spots. And most of all start praying you get rain and the right temps lol. It makes things a whole lot easier then walking 5 miles through the woods and walking out with nothing. Just learn some of the basic trees and have yourself a treat. Happy hunting everyone and I can't wait to see some nice morels on Friday and the weekend! Im so pumped, stay safe and fill them bags and baskets up!👍
its nice to see a younger kid put as much time and effort in as you are. I started with my dad when I was around 10 and after 25 years or so of hunting them I’ve never lost interest. You’re well on your way to learning how to be an effective morel hunter. Don’t be afraid to put in the miles, it’s a highly effective strategy!

·
Registered
58 Posts
its nice to see a younger kid put as much time and effort in as you are. I started with my dad when I was around 10 and after 25 years or so of hunting them I’ve never lost interest. You’re well on your way to learning how to be an effective morel hunter. Don’t be afraid to put in the miles, it’s a highly effective strategy!
I'm glad I'm in this hobby. I love the woods and it's something fun to look forward to. I figured since I love it so much I mind as well start young and get as much knowledge as I can. I'm thinking about making notes from each year to kinda compare them to see how well different conditions compare with each other. I'm actually a top runner in my county for cross country so I'm not afraid to put on some miles! I'll gladly walk 20 miles for nothing to eventually end up on a motherload. I said before I got a lot of trees to check and I'm hoping that I can get a couple of solid spots this year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm glad I'm in this hobby. I love the woods and it's something fun to look forward to. I figured since I love it so much I mind as well start young and get as much knowledge as I can. I'm thinking about making notes from each year to kinda compare them to see how well different conditions compare with each other. I'm actually a top runner in my county for cross country so I'm not afraid to put on some miles! I'll gladly walk 20 miles for nothing to eventually end up on a motherload. I said before I got a lot of trees to check and I'm hoping that I can get a couple of solid spots this year.
keeping track from year to year in particular ground temps and weather trends will definitely help you know when and where to go. Can’t count on them, my data has led me astray a few times (including this year) but all in all it is also a helpful strategy. At the end of the day you will typically find more mushrooms the more trees you check and my best strategy is to find a chunk of woods I can walk for a couple hours and just grind out results. Good luck out there and glad you’re enjoying it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
keeping track from year to year in particular ground temps and weather trends will definitely help you know when and where to go. Can’t count on them, my data has led me astray a few times (including this year) but all in all it is also a helpful strategy. At the end of the day you will typically find more mushrooms the more trees you check and my best strategy is to find a chunk of woods I can walk for a couple hours and just grind out results. Good luck out there and glad you’re enjoying it.
It's going to be a lot more challenging this year because I moved to Barron County Wisconsin from Wright County Minnesota this fall. So I lost all the spots me and my dad had in that area. I'm hoping that the spots I found will be better than the ones we had from my home town. The sucky part is we happened to move into one of the biggest hot spots for ticks in the country. Already pulled off 100+ and there only going to get worse.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Went out for an hour to poke around some more. Found another 5 trees with morels, all little shits. One of them had at least a dozen smaller than my pinky nail, those were the ones I could see. Next week should be amazing! The woods have just exploded in the last couple of days, it’s fun watching the forest come back to life.
Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Grass Adaptation

·
Registered
58 Posts
Went out for an hour to poke around some more. Found another 5 trees with morels, all little shits. One of them had at least a dozen smaller than my pinky nail, those were the ones I could see. Next week should be amazing! The woods have just exploded in the last couple of days, it’s fun watching the forest come back to life. View attachment 43271
Nice eye! What area are you in

221 - 240 of 406 Posts