Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
241 - 260 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I want to say big tooth, but I’m not that great at ID’ing trees apart from knowing if it’s an Aspen or not. Here’s a picture of typical habitat I find black morels in. View attachment 43215

Also, to add to that, OnX Maps has a great Aspen layer feature that shows the distribution of young Aspen forests. It is a great way to parse through public land and identify potential spots. It also has some other tree layers, such as coniferous vs. deciduous. It’s been a big help in my scouting this year, because I can focus my boots on the ground scouting to certain areas. We will see if how much it pays off in the next few weeks!
I think you have quacking Aspen in this picture. Hard to say, look at the leaves on the ground. Big tooth will typically be a mid to large sized leaf about the size of the palm of your hand with large teeth on the margins ( outside) of the leaf. Quacking aspen have smaller leaves, about the size of a small egg or smaller, are more heart shaped, and have fine teeth, like your steak knife. I hope this helps. If i can find my dendrology collection I will post pic's!

·
Registered
75 Posts
pretty hot out there last night, went back and checked the ones I found Tuesday and they still were a little small. Going to have to just cross my fingers they are still there Saturday morning. I also found 3 more trees that had babies the size of the ones I found Tuesday. I’m drawing the conclusion that in our area that it’s still just a touch early yet but on the verge!

anyone have any theories on north/south differences in when they pop? I do but would love to hear anyone’s take. For example if there is a difference from Lacrosse to Winona in that 30 miles. Is Winona a day Or two behind or do you think the 30 miles in distance is not important? I hunt from Winona to red Wing so I just used those two as an example.
False morel Terrestrial plant Twig Wood Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hunt from Winona to red Wing so I just used those two as an example. Morelsrfun said:
That's my area! Lol just kidding, it is a nice area. I have seen some people parked but hardly ever see anyone in the woods, and only for morel season. Never saw anyone else out for the tons of summer mushrooms. I will be out today as soon as I get the kids to school!

241 - 260 of 406 Posts