Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Minnesota Morels 2022

66K views 466 replies 68 participants last post by  Tr00ter 
#1 ·
Well now that the temperature has reach 50-60 degrees it means Morels will be finally pocking through the snow! so I am creating the 2022 thread, and if this year you guys get skunk again maybe consider collecting stamps. let the best hunter win!

#4 ·
Time will tell how the season shakes out. In terms of atmospheric warming we're a few days behind last year, but the frost round here went pretty deep this winter. My guess is I'll find my first sometime late in the last week of April. Sap is juuuuuuust baaaarely starting to flow in my neck of the woods.

if this year you guys get skunk again maybe consider collecting stamps. let the best hunter win!
How to not get skunked: get out early, get out often. I had a great year last year, though it was practically over by Mother's Day. Speaking of Mother's Day, here's a low resolution .gif from a Mother's Day find at one of my favorite honey holes last year.

#7 ·
Happy Spring Peoples! Just got back from a half a month in Florida, so I missed the meltdown. I'm pretty excited this year cause I purchased a 33 acre place on the Elk River, with 1000+ feet of river front, in Big Lake township in January!! Lots of elms, oaks, aspen, birch, maples, norways, etc... It should be a fun year to learn the woods and river area!

#11 ·
Notice anything else about that vid? That elm was still holding its bark, and did you notice how much "green" was in the woods?! I think that we all want to jump the gun. We get so anxious for morel season, that we will go out way too early. That said, I guess it's better to be early than late! I was late last year. I found some, but also found a lot of "crispy critters" out there, so I'm guessing that there were several flushes that I missed! We have zero green in our woods right now. At least where I hunt.

#13 ·
The tree was holding its bark, sure, but when the camera pans up you can see it's lost a fair amount of bark higher up the tree. This is why I usually look up when I'm scouting spots. Find a tree with most of the bark, but it's starting to shed some on its branches? You're in fuckin' business. Regarding your season timing, I've actually found that trees considered by many to be too far gone usually produce earlier in the season, though usually not well. The way the weather has been around here the last couple seasons has definitely forced me into getting out earlier in the season. Years where we have a nice slow warm up with plenty of moisture that creates decent ground cover is best, because it prevents the morels from gettin' fried and dried from sun and wind. In a more "typical" year, I'm out finding the bulk of my morels when the ground cover looks a lot like that video, but this past year especially was a different story.

#14 ·
True that! I do most of my morel hunting at my fish and game club. We must have a thousand dead elm on the property, which is 2,200 acres! But, when you look at them, they are all bleached, white dead snags! The only elm I've found morels under was surely dead, but still held most of it's bark. And it took 4 looks to find morels. First look, nothing. Second look, all kinds of little brown mushrooms underneath. Third look, again nothing. Almost skipped the fourth look, but it's only a ten minute walk off the club road, so I thought "Why not?" Found about 2 dozen under there. But, man! Did that tree fall apart fast! Over the next winter all the bark fell off, and the top got snapped off in a storm. Never found another morels under it!

We also have tons of apple trees scattered around the property. Those are my main targets. Followed by sycamore and eastern cottonwood.

#17 ·
We've been getting precip on an on and off basis here as well. The temps were beginning to moderate, but we're going back in the fridge this weekend with the possibility of snow! Another warm up supposed to start again next week, so It's all OK. I've never found a morel this early in NE Ohio!

#20 ·
Been a few year’s since I’ve posted!! Well I’m back and ready to hit it hard this season. I moved up near Cambridge from Invergrove heights four seasons ago and have only found one morel up here. Any tips for central Mn? It’s so different then hunting southern mn 🤷🏻‍♂️. Now with that being said, I have found way more hen of the woods, trumpets, hedgehog, chickens, and a handful of other edibles up here but morels have been tough so any advice for central Mn would be greatly appreciated 🙏🏻 Thanks and have a great season.

#28 ·
Just curious, when is everybody thinking the first blacks are going to come up? I just moved from Minnesota to the border of Wisconsin. After this week of cold I have highs of 65 for 2 days and some other highs in the mid-high 50s. I'm thinking first ones around the 24th or 25th, what do you guys think?

#36 ·
Although your family and friends might hate you, keep doing your rain dances! I'm in the Twin Cities metro and was surprised to see that we had about the same amount of precipitation (right around 6") at this time last year that we do right now, YTD (see attached graphs). We had a a bit more snow this year, but I guess I'm still suffering PTSD from the bone-dry May of 2021.

I would like a couple dry days in a row to get the veggies started, but otherwise keep the soggy pattern going for another 4-6 weeks please.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.