Minnesota Summertime Edibles - 2019

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tundraking, Jul 10, 2019.

1. tundraking

tundraking Morel Connoisseur

Hey, look up Calvatia Bovista. Another one of the many puffballs out there. I've never seen this one myself, but this is my guess...

2. Lisse Michaels

Lisse Michaels Morel Connoisseur

Is that actually bears head tooth (hericium erinaceus), or is it coral tooth (hericium coralloides)?

I’m asking because I’m very interested in finding hericium erinaceus (aka bears tooth, bears head tooth, lion’s mane, bearded tooth, etc) and I don’t know much about it.

If you or anyone has any tips for finding it, I would appreciate it so much!!

Mason likes this.

3. Lisse Michaels

E0E6D51B-8A06-4E25-8CCF-F200F079D61A.jpeg How has everyone’s summer been? I haven’t had much chance to post, all my free time has been spent picking or cleaning mushrooms. Not that I’m complaining!

Any of you pick in pine plantations? Have you been finding matsies? They’re just going crazy up north here, but I think the heat & humidity we’re getting this week is going to stop them for a bit. ☹️

4. tundraking

Hey Lisse! I've never found them. There's so many mushrooms that look like that, I don't know if I could positively identify them. I've watched videos of people finding them, so I think I understand where you can find them. I have 30+ year old pine plantations near my area. Do you think they are old enough? I've walked through there looking for pine porcini and there are a ton of mushrooms, but didn't find what I was looking for and didn't recognize anything else...

Lisse Michaels likes this.
  5. tundraking

Found an absolute Goliath hen today. Stay tuned for a pic...

6. Lisse Michaels

Hey tundraking!

Good to hear from you, I can see you’ve been having a great summer from your pictures. I’m so envious of those hens, because I’ve never found one!

I didn’t know that matsutake grew up here. One day I was out picking chanterelles in red pines, and I noticed the squirrels were going crazy at the base of this one tree. I watched & saw they were digging around in the moss, and I had just read a book about truffles so I had to investigate further.

The squirrels had uncovered this huge white mushroom. It was growing under the pine needles & green moss. I could smell it long before I saw it. I carefully pushed away (more like peeled back) the moss & pine needles to get it out.

There were 4 more growing right underneath it, and they had intact veils so I kind of had an idea they might be matsies. I brought them to a professor friend who confirmed it.

They are very hard to spot, and yes, I think that 30+ yr old pines will produce them. As long as you have that heavy mat of pine needles, green moss & caribou moss are OK. They usually grow in the drip line of the pine tree, within about 12” of the trunk, but I’ve heard of people finding them further away. It also needs to be cool, especially at night.

Inspect all the mushroom “bumps” that you see around the base of the pines, and don’t be afraid to really get in there and peel back the moss & needles - Just put it back after you’re done. They seem to show up at the end of chanterelle season, sometimes even after king boletes.

I’ll post some pictures on the weekend so you can see what I’m trying to describe.

7. tundraking

Great story! Ya, the moss part might be a little tough. Theres not nearly as much moss as up north farther, but I do know that people have found them in this area of the state. I’ll have to give it a try.

8. tundraking

Ok, here it is! Went to a spot that hasn’t produced for a couple years, and sure enough... Weighed in at 22.5 lbs!!
    The pic in the woods doesn’t do it justice. 21EA232C-13AE-49FB-859B-74FE05187641.jpeg 5A52220A-949A-4F45-B914-5F989F4AF377.jpeg

9. Mason

Mason Morel Enthusiast

I found lions mane about a week ago. They were growing on the north side of a downed half rotten poplar. Right on the edge of a black spruce swamp. First time find for me, hope this helps!

10. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

after looking into it a little more you might be right. It was delicious though!

11. Lisse Michaels

O
    Ohhhhh my good Lord! How in God’s name do you even carry something like that out of the woods?

I don’t even know what to say, but I am so impressed!

12. Lisse Michaels

I’ve heard that and I’m pretty sure I saw some of these just starting when I was out last weekend. I’m going to go out that way tomorrow & I hope my memory is correct!

13. Lisse Michaels

Thank you so much for the tips, Mason! The area I’m checking tomorrow is black spruce swamp, so now I’m really excited!

14. MNLegitShroomer

MNLegitShroomer Morel Enthusiast

15. Lisse Michaels

13C655DE-FA8F-4C52-A8A8-461CB11B5057.jpeg OK y’all... I have spent the last 5 hours tromping through the woods, I must have walked about 10 miles in the pouring rain and inspected what feels like 1000 oak trees and I found nothing. FML.

Well, except the last tree had some kinda funny dark grey & white stuff starting to form at the base of it. (Which smelled sooooo mushroomy delicious that I could have carried it around & sniffed it all day!)

Sorry for the crappy pics, but is this what I’m looking for? Should I be coming back in a day or so to see if it’s bigger? Or is it some other kind of oak fungus that I know nothing about?

16. Lisse Michaels

CCE19A34-02E0-4C32-B3B5-CA2A9E519041.jpeg
    Don’t know what happened to my pictures, but I’ll try again! CCE19A34-02E0-4C32-B3B5-CA2A9E519041.jpeg 135EC4AE-BBCE-43DE-AF1C-0259633C932C.jpeg

17. jg010682

Yes hens are still around they will be going until the middle of October about.lissie not sure what type of shroom your looking for but if its hens here are some pics of small ones. 20190916_173008.jpg 20190910_184530.jpg 20190910_184922.jpg

18. Lisse Michaels

Yes, I should have said I’m after hens! So they start off light or creamy coloured? And fruit from the ground, not the tree? I seriously have never found one and now I want to just because.

19. jg010682

They are usually on the ground by live old oaks sometimes by dead trees i have found some on the sides of trees but its is very rare. They are a parisite that grows from the roots of trees so usually right near the tree make sure to look all the way around the tree they can be very tight up to the tree and hard to spot somerimes. Here is a pic of one i found growing on the side of a tree 20170912_164917.jpg

Kokomorel and Lisse Michaels like this.
  20. Lisse Michaels

Thank you so much jg010682!

Does it matter what type of oak? And how old? 30+ yrs or older?

I was looking in burr oak and maybe that’s my problem! LOL