Minnesota Summertime Edibles - 2019

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tundraking, Jul 10, 2019.

1. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

I find alot on white oak but i also find them on other oaks so i dont think it matters a whole lot what type of oaks it is you just need to be in an area with hens. Older ones do seem to help

Lisse Michaels and Kokomorel like this.
  2. tundraking

tundraking Morel Connoisseur

Although I’ve found them around smaller oaks, I’d have to say I devote my time to looking around oaks that are 2-3 feet + in diameter at the base. That also gives you an idea of the age of the woods you’re looking in. The more bigger oaks, better the odds.

3. Lisse Michaels

Lisse Michaels Morel Connoisseur

FDBA3F48-B191-4184-8202-7579EDB0AD21.jpeg I went out today after all the rain we had, and I found a kitten. In the middle of the forest, nowhere near anywhere. Damn near half starved to death, it ate half an A&W teen burger, including the lettuce & tomato. I decided I’m keeping her, she’s the damn cutest thing I’ve ever found in the bush!

4. MNLegitShroomer

MNLegitShroomer Morel Enthusiast

No way.. You are an awfully good person. I would have done the same thing seeing it half starved :/

Lisse Michaels likes this.
  5. Lisse Michaels

Awww, I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t save it. I know nature is cruel, but this is entirely different. This is a kitten, not a fox or raccoon, and it’s well socialized, not scared of people or other cats.

My hubby & I were watching this bald eagle flying, then we noticed it was circling and watching something closer to our truck. He spotted the kitten before I did. I’m pretty sure it would have been eagle vittles if we didn’t take it.

6. jg010682

20190923_200124.jpg 20190923_183310.jpg 20190923_180614.jpg Heres a pic of the one hen i did pick tonight and a few more that i took pictures of. I also took part of a couple more that i found and spread them around to some other oaks in the area. Not sure if it works for sure but it couldnt hurt anybody else try spreading hens to other tree? If so have you ever noticed them on the trees you have spred them to?

7. tundraking

Sounds like a good idea to me! I've noticed that they can refruit in the same spot. Maybe not year after year, but definitely every 2-3 years. So I'd assume they can establish and continue to grow if spread around... I should just get used to cutting off the bottom dirty section and spread that around. This is a pretty great year for hens! Drying is going very well.
    Every year for Xmas with extended family, we all do baskets, tubs, or bags filled with homemade goodies for each family. Pickled/canned goods, breads, cheeses, homemade sausage and other meats... This year will definitely include dried Maitake!

8. Already Gone

Already Gone Morel Connoisseur

There is normally a lot of waste when cleaning these - dirty, old, or buggy sections and the like.
    Take all of your scraps to the nearest burr, black, or red oak(the ones with wide leaves).
    My great uncle did this in the mid-sixties and my nephew was picking them on the same trees nearly every year until they sold the property just a few years ago.

A spore is a terrible thing to waste...

9. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

We found our Honey Boy while out hunting for Honey Mushrooms, hence his name. IMGP0005.JPG

10. jg010682

20191003_175725.jpg went looking for hens and found some chants instead i think this is the lates ive ever seen them here

11. Lisse Michaels

We’ve got chanterelles popping like crazy up here, too.

I went out on Wednesday after work with a friend and we picked two huge baskets full in 45 min. Huge, fully mature chanterelles, some bigger than your entire hand.

And more king boletes! I found about 7 small ones, and I’d sure like to find more of those this weekend! C504DA40-08EC-41D0-818A-8436746EA2A5.jpeg F8C2FCD7-BDEA-4096-9458-1E8980D20220.jpeg

12. Mason

Mason Morel Enthusiast

Too busy now hunting and getting ready for winter to look, plus I don't monkey on private land this close to hunting season. Looks awesome though!! Do you think this cold snap will end them??

13. tundraking

I hear ya. I haven't gotten out and now I'm on to hunting, fall fishing, and preparing for winter. The way its going, this may be a heavy snow year...
    Lisse, thats amazing you found that many late season chants! Congrats!

Kokomorel likes this.
  14. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

978348CF-6CAE-4729-96BF-9F5287D69810.jpeg Picked off a very fresh chicken, on the way to the stand yesterday. Latest ever for me.

15. Chanterelle nut

Chanterelle nut Morel Enthusiast

Man! I missed the whole season :(

16. tundraking

So what your saying is you didn't have your priorities straight... ;) It happens. Life seems to get in the way of a lot of fun stuff when you have to adult it.
    It was tough to get out this year with a new born in the house, but surprisingly I found little bits of time in the gaps and it paid off pretty well. I found enough Maitakes to give everyone a dried 1 gallon bag stuffed full for Xmas, and I still have 4 bags for myself! Now if I can just get a deer in the freezer, I can move on to getting the ice shack ready... :D

1 person likes this.
  17. Chanterelle nut

Chanterelle nut Morel Enthusiast

lol i agree with the priorities thing, who remodels a house in the middle of chanterelle season??? duh! Man i haven't found a hen of the woods in years! i guess is time to hibernate until morel season or go to Australia for the king bolete season :)

1 person likes this.