Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

241 - 260 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow jg, that’s nuts. I found one today too, but not nearly as picturesque as those!

To you all seasoned hen collectors, is the sprawl and high degree of frond separation a sign of age? It seems like the ones I find are more often spread out like this compared to the nicely symmetrical, tight, spherical ones typically posted. (Which are often also quite large.)

View attachment 36565
That looks pretty good to me! I've found them that way through the years too. Hens in general have such a wide range of presentation. I don't know why some sprawl like that, thinking it might have to do with environmental factors when they're first poking up (like something in the way, or maybe an animal steps on it). They're just as good to eat though, as long as they aren't getting discolored in the white "stem area" or going to spore underneath. Even in those cases they are good for the stock pot.

I returned from the North Shore earlier this week and the summer shroom season was still in its prime there. Every day we filled a bag of prime lobsters, chants, and the occasional king bolete for the table that night. This was simply walking Superior Hiking Trail - not even really foraging. After eating a full pan of shrooms every night, we ended up with 5 pounds of lobsters and about a pound each of chats and kings to bring home.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was up by hackinsack this weekend with my wifes folks. Found enough chanterelles, hedgehogs and lobsters to feed us all. Still haven't spotted a hen yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I stopped counting when i got to 15 tonight found more than that but took home 5 tonight.
Three on one tree, I must not be living a clean enough life cause I have yet to find that kind of abundance. I found my first Hen this weekend, just one during a 5 hour search. It made a great mushroom cream sauce with brandy.

As an aside, I love following the MN Summer mushroom topic. You guys and girls are all awesome. Wish the WI forum had one as active as this.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Any thoughts on how i should freeze what i have left? View attachment 36592
Fry them in butter and vacuum seal them then freeze them or i have herd you can just vacuum seal them after washing them and freeze them and they are just fine i usually just dehydrate them and vacuum seal them to store i think i will try to can some of these this year now that i know how to do it

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Three on one tree, I must not be living a clean enough life cause I have yet to find that kind of abundance. I found my first Hen this weekend, just one during a 5 hour search. It made a great mushroom cream sauce with brandy.

As an aside, I love following the MN Summer mushroom topic. You guys and girls are all awesome. Wish the WI forum had one as active as this.
woods with lots of old white oak seems to be the best. I do find them on other trees like red oak and maple but the white oaks seem to be the best host for them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fry them in butter and vacuum seal them then freeze them or i have herd you can just vacuum seal them after washing them and freeze them and they are just fine i usually just dehydrate them and vacuum seal them to store i think i will try to can some of these this year now that i know how to do it
Canning them works awesome! I've used a recipe several times with thyme and white wine. So damn good! You can use them for cooking in dishes, or serve them on a relish tray at Xmas.
I also dehydrate because there's usually so much, and you can get a lot of them done at once.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Lol, Ya, we've heard that we're usually the chatty bunch. People don't really share this passion. I don't really know anyone outside of this forum that actually forage mushrooms(besides the ones I've gotten hooked), except for morels of course. Which is funny, so many people go absolutely crazy for morels, but never try any other foraging. There's so many other great mushrooms out there in the summer.
Anyway, I know there are quite a few people out there that follow the chat, but don't participate, which is just fine. I hope what we talk about helps them enjoy the same things we enjoy about it. The hunt for treasure, identification, processing, and consumption! There's also something about building food stores for the winter that I think a lot of people in the midwest enjoy as part of their life, same as fishing, hunting, and gardening.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Lol, Ya, we've heard that we're usually the chatty bunch. People don't really share this passion. I don't really know anyone outside of this forum that actually forage mushrooms(besides the ones I've gotten hooked), except for morels of course. Which is funny, so many people go absolutely crazy for morels, but never try any other foraging. There's so many other great mushrooms out there in the summer.
Anyway, I know there are quite a few people out there that follow the chat, but don't participate, which is just fine. I hope what we talk about helps them enjoy the same things we enjoy about it. The hunt for treasure, identification, processing, and consumption! There's also something about building food stores for the winter that I think a lot of people in the midwest enjoy as part of their life, same as fishing, hunting, and gardening.
I share your passion

241 - 260 of 285 Posts