Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

261 - 280 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Them comb tooth corals are awsome to eat verry good flavor i at some this morning that my brother gave me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
jashroomer: from the side view in your pic, they look like the Ringless Honey version.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very well said tundraking. You certainly captured what I find so addictive about foraging. WI mushroom seasons seem to really lag MN. That hen I found was really early for where Im at. I expect this to be a good year and my freezer is full of oysters and chants already. Hens and our version of b. edulis are about ready to pop. Honeys are just coming out too. We are coming into the best time in WI, nice temps, few bugs, many foraging opportunities, grouse, turkey, squirrel, duck, goose, deer...its amazing what you can get from nature and how amazingly good it all is. Blessings!

·
Registered
243 Posts
jashroomer: from the side view in your pic, they look like the Ringless Honey version.
Yep, I would agree, they are the ringless. Yards here in Indiana have them coming up everywhere, I have seen them before, but never in the amounts were seeing this year. People who aren't hunters of any mushrooms, have noticed them.
A guy I work with has an app called Seek, it identifies animals, insects, plants, and when he put it on the clump of mushrooms, it identified them as ringless honey mushrooms. Now i would never eat anything based on an app, but that is pretty cool. The thing ID'd a silver maple, cicada, assasin bug.

·
Registered
241 Posts
jashroomer,
Those are some real nice honeys! I have a love hate relationship with them. They work good in stews and soups, and are a natural thickener because of the slime they put off when cooked, as well as they hold their form even after being cooked for long periods. But... they have this slippery texture that I'm not too fond of, and it doesn't matter how long you cook them. They have a great taste though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ohhhh i see!!! Aborted entoloma!!! I didn't know they were called shrimp of the woods. Either way i have never collected them. Are they good?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I really like them. Not too much flavor though. Nice shrimp like texture. Sometimes they really go off though. Last year I got 2 five gallon buckets full in a really small area. Too much. They don’t dry well either.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey all, put an offer on a new place in the country. Time to get out of town!! Hopefully moving in the next month. Only reason this is pertinent info is, checked the property out last weekend. Beautiful oak woods dying into creek bottom. I hardly got into the yard and noticed a pile of oysters growing up a dead poplar. Dead elms all over, and a very nice hen growing at the base of an oak ten feet from the house!!!!! Its a nice place. Not my dream, but the shrooms sold me!! Gotta sell this place first. Lots of work ahead!!! I will try to check in, otherwise i will talk to you all in the spring!! Happy winter good luck hunting and fishing!!!!!!!!
Mason

261 - 280 of 285 Posts