Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Up near the border this weekend stumbled on some boletes. I didn’t have my guide with me so once they turned colors on me I left them alone.

Red-capped scaber stalk?
I've just been getting into boletes the last couple years. Looking in my books I'd have to say you're right on with your assessment. Nice looking shroom!
I would have left it too for that same reason. I know there are staining boletes that are very edible, but I'm not that seasoned with those yet. I probably would have tasted it though and spit it out just to see what it tasted like.

·
Registered
225 Posts
View attachment 35592 View attachment 35594 View attachment 35596 View attachment 35598 View attachment 35600 View attachment 35602 View attachment 35604 View attachment 35606 Went to a new spot today that was lousy with ostrich ferns and gooseberries. Found some fresh chicken there and a lot of crown coral too. I’m having a tough time with these other shrooms though if anyone has thoughts. Milk caps or some type of oyster?
I can't remember what the one on the left is... I see them all over growing directly out of wood. Next, definitely not oyster, some sort of lactarius is my guess. Either way, the two edible ones are a great find!

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is June madness for me, so not shrooming since morels... Daughter bday, my bday, anniversary, my wife's bday, and I had to get the ole snip snip... Just want to get out and hike! Hoping real soon here though.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
@tundraking nevermind i went back through last summers posts and found it couldnt remember if you had posted it. I made sure to take a screen shot of it this time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Found a bunch of crown tip coral yesterday with my son. Unfortunately we could find him any chicken of the wood but we took what we could get. @tundraking any way you could post your mushroom soup recipe? I think i might have enough to make that and some eggs this morning. Lol View attachment 35702 View attachment 35704 View attachment 35706 View attachment 35708
I've found tons of this in past years and only eaten it a few times. Found it to be fibrous and not much for flavor. Think I'll harvest a bit this week just to give it another go round. Any cooking suggestions would be appreciated as long as not the obvious sautee methods I've tried. Thanks for sharing this and feeding my motivation. Happy hunting funguys and fungals!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
No problem May Motherload! Its always nice to see when things are getting started out there and more eyes the better.

jg, they are pretty darn good! I love the woody taste.
As for the soup, I go by taste, but should really write it down. Basically, its 3 cups chicken or veggie broth, 1 TBSP fish sauce, 1 TBSP soy sauce, 1 TBSP garlic chili sauce (I use the "Huy Fong" brand found in the ethnic isle at the grocer), a little rice wine vinegar, and a couple diced green onions, bring to a hard simmer for a couple minutes, then drop in your crown tip coral mushrooms, maybe a cup or so. They cook fast obviously so bring it back to a simmer for a minute, then shut off the stove and let the soup sit for 5-10 minutes to let the flavors meld before serving. Other than that, adjust everything based on the amount of mushrooms you have or want to cook. Let me know what you think!
Here is @tundraking recipe im going to try making this and maybe tweek it a little otherwise i think they are really good fried up in an omelet

·
Registered
61 Posts
Up near the border this weekend stumbled on some boletes. I didn’t have my guide with me so once they turned colors on me I left them alone.

Red-capped scaber stalk?
Scaber stalks by my guess. I collect the hem and dehydrate them along with all my boletes. They ate yummy in pasta dishes, pretty slimy if you try and fry fresh. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone finding Chanterelles yet? They must be popping soon after all the rain these past few days and all this heat.
Still very early but my buddy sent me this chanterelle picture on 6-30. He said there was 20+ chanterelles at the spot this size. His spot is definitely an early spot year-in-year-out, but it's pretty exciting all the same.

Here's also nice white-pored chicken of the woods that I identified for another friend from a pic. He gave me half of it as a thank-you for the ID help and I made these fajitas-of-the-woods.

Time for me to stop all this picture viewing and get out into them woods!

Attachments

81 - 100 of 129 Posts