Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

141 - 160 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Ive fried chicken of the woods and chantrells in butter or olive oil and vacuum sealed them and they reheat just fine after that you could try that with them. I suggest ramp butter if you have that i make a bunch of it every year and thats what ive been using.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ive fried chicken of the woods and chantrells in butter or olive oil and vacuum sealed them and they reheat just fine after that you could try that with them. I suggest ramp butter if you have that i make a bunch of it every year and thats what ive been using.
I will try that. No ramp butter though. Spring here was too dry, the ramp crop was poor so i left them alone. Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hope everyones having a great summer season!

I still have never run into any Lobsters down here in southern MN. I do however have a woods that is loaded with Chantarelles and Kings as well later in the summer. Id be willing to trade it off to someone willing to share a decent Lobster area within an hourish of Mankato?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hope everyones having a great summer season!

I still have never run into any Lobsters down here in southern MN. I do however have a woods that is loaded with Chantarelles and Kings as well later in the summer. Id be willing to trade it off to someone willing to share a decent Lobster area within an hourish of Mankato?
Not sure about that area, but you need milky caps, and russulas to get lobsters. I find lots of lobsters up here. It seems like they come out of the swamp and attack the other mushrooms in waves. I almost always find them in low areas radiating up the hills.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Chanterelles are peaking. So many everywhere, i didn't know which direction to go!!! Thousands of yellow caps in every direction!!!! Filled my bag and basket in about 15 mins, taking only the biggest and cleanest ones. Despite hosing myself down with deet and running a thermocell the mosquitos were so thick i could hardly breathe.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Look in mixed oak woods near pine trees the fungus that turns those mushrooms into lobsters comes from pine. They dont have to be next to the pines just an area with pines that is near oak.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Look in mixed oak woods near pine trees the fungus that turns those mushrooms into lobsters comes from pine. They dont have to be next to the pines just an area with pines that is near oak.
Hmmm....... Didn't know that. No pines in my area, but the swamp edges i find them in are full of black spruce, tameracks, and fir trees.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Not sure if its all evergreen trees that harbor the fungus or not but everywere i find lobstersthere seems to be pine that is in the area ill have to see if i can find those articles i was reading and post them on here

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not sure if its all evergreen trees that harbor the fungus or not but everywere i find lobstersthere seems to be pine that is in the area ill have to see if i can find those articles i was reading and post them on here
Nice. Like i said no pines but lots of evergreens. Once in a while I find a random one in high ground, but the real good picking is always the swamp edge. I will take some pictures next time I go. And chech the trees out better. As i said without a host like milkys or russulas you can't get lobsters

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thank you for the tips, I may just need to head north into areas with more Pine, natural stands of any size are a rarity around here.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Pretty sure these are king boletes just thought i would ask for some opinions before i eat them. I pinched a bit off one and gave it a tast then spit it out and it tasts great not bitter at all.
20200726_162906.jpg

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pretty sure these are king boletes just thought i would ask for some opinions before i eat them. I pinched a bit off one and gave it a tast then spit it out and it tasts great not bitter at all. View attachment 36341
Yup you got king boletes. The young ones are firm and fry well. The bigger ones seem to stay floppy in the pan. I dry those.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Thank you! How can you tell for sure that they are king? I have found other varieties of boletes that are similar but the top was light brown are those considered to be king also or are they entirely different?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Got ya thanks @tundraking still trying to figure the bouletes out was pretty sure of what i had but wanted a second third and who ever elses opinion.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Kings have that "bun" colored cap, but the biggest signs are the bulbous stem and the reticulation (webbing) on the stem. Also white flesh that doesn't change color when cut.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Other boletes that may resemble kings are leatherbacks, which usually have a sticky cap and a rubbery vail that protects the pores early, but falls away as they mature, but you will be able to see the vail remnant about 2/3 the way down on the stalk. I collect these and dry them. They make great seasoning. Also bay boletes will have a darker cap, non bulbus base and no reticulation, but are very edible. Graceful boletes have the bulbus base and a dark brown cap as well as more coursly aligned pores. All these boletes are edible. Not as tasty as kings but, safe to eat. Double check a good field guide to be sure. And again non of these will bruise BLUE.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Me and my son picked a a basket full of chantrelles again today. Should have enough to can now. Will take a picture of them all from the last 2 days tomorrow before we can them and after.
20200727_131552.jpg

141 - 160 of 192 Posts