Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

161 - 180 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nicely done! I can see the holes in many of your stems, which is the same thing I find. Sometimes if I halve a chant that has holes, the cap looks relatively fine. However, most of the time it looks like there are tunnels of “sawdust”, and I’ll often find a maggot or two if I look hard enough.
Question: do you toss these? Or is there another way to “treat” them. I honestly don’t care much about a couple bugs, but I don’t want to force them upon unwitting guests 😂.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nicely done! I can see the holes in many of your stems, which is the same thing I find. Sometimes if I halve a chant that has holes, the cap looks relatively fine. However, most of the time it looks like there are tunnels of “sawdust”, and I’ll often find a maggot or two if I look hard enough.
Question: do you toss these? Or is there another way to “treat” them. I honestly don’t care much about a couple bugs, but I don’t want to force them upon unwitting guests 😂.
Thanks in advance!
I find that in most cases they burrow up through the stem and straight out the top. I figure its only more nutrients, and once cooked, you don't even see the holes or maggots... So I figure if you don't mention it, they'll never know! 😁
Of course if they're too bad or infested, I'll toss them after going through them at home.

I checked my Go To spot at lunch today and harvested a nice bag of them. Pretty much no sign of bugs! Found some real nice fatties too!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I find that in most cases they burrow up through the stem and straight out the top. I figure its only more nutrients, and once cooked, you don't even see the holes or maggots... So I figure if you don't mention it, they'll never know! 😁
Of course if they're too bad or infested, I'll toss them after going through them at home.

I checked my Go To spot at lunch today and harvested a nice bag of them. Pretty much no sign of bugs! Found some real nice fatties too!
C761D304-A4EC-4FCD-A11C-364CE369E05F.jpeg

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Here is the finished product! I used a jar of them last night just to see how the tast and texture is and they this is the best method i have tried so far to preserve chantrelles.
20200728_204108.jpg

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Me and my boy picked 2 grocery bags full of choke cherries today! If your looking to pick them i would get started.

·
Registered
82 Posts
No evergreens in sight where i found the lobsters.mixed hardwoods hillside dying into a mossy swamp full of ash and elm trees.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
@Trudee was a recipe we found online. Basically it was boil the shrooms for 5 to 10 minutes strain them then put them in jars and cover with boiling water then put the lids on and put jars in pressure canner and bring it to a slow boil for 45 minutes

·
Registered
82 Posts
@Trudee was a recipe we found online. Basically it was boil the shrooms for 5 to 10 minutes strain them then put them in jars and cover with boiling water then put the lids on and put jars in pressure canner and bring it to a slow boil for 45 minutes
All that boiling doesn't take the flavor out???

·
Registered
5 Posts
King Bolete? Just can’t quite figure it out. Second one like this I found. Any ideas? Found in mixed hardwoods near chanterelles

161 - 180 of 192 Posts