Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone! Its already that time! Foragers have been finding oysters out there. So far, ticks haven't been that bad in all the places I've been, but its still worth spraying your clothes with Permethrin and the rest of you with some bug dope. Pack a light bag with bottled water, snacks, mushroom sacks, and if you're hitting a larger area like a state forest, a small compass is always a good idea, oh and some TP, lol. Take your family or friends out and go explore!

Ok, enough of that safety/preparedness stuff... I plan to hit my local spots this year, take a small group to one of my favorite state forest lands, and throw in a 2 hour hike on every family trip I take this summer. The nice thing about the woods in the summer is even if its hot outside, its always cooler and shady in the woods!
My daughter, who just turned 7 today, is really starting to like foraging with me! She has put up with going through some of the crappiest areas and conditions sometimes and still keeps smiling. I mean this is the stuff that most people would go crying home about! Mosquitos/ticks/deer and horse flies, thorn, rain, heat and humidity, steep bluffs and ravines. She has done it all. And the funniest part... she doesn't like to eat mushrooms! What a trooper! Although, I fed her a black trumpet two years ago and she hasn't stopped talking about it. Unfortunately, I don't have any good trumpet spots, and I haven't found any since.
I may host a day to "Foray" with a small group from here later summer. So keep an eye out for an opportunity to jump in on a fun day trip! Anybody else out there interested in hosting a forage day with others that have the same interest? It would be cool to have a few of them throughout the summer so everyone has an opportunity to jump in on one and meet some like-minded people. We're kind of a niche group...
Good luck out there everyone and post pictures of your finds!

I love this definition, so I figured I'd post it:

foray:
a sudden attack or incursion into enemy territory, especially to obtain spoils.

Plant community Plant Leaf Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Everyone! Its already that time! Foragers have been finding oysters out there. So far, ticks haven't been that bad in all the places I've been, but its still worth spraying your clothes with Permethrin and the rest of you with some bug dope. Pack a light bag with bottled water, snacks, mushroom sacks, and if you're hitting a larger area like a state forest, a small compass is always a good idea, oh and some TP, lol. Take your family or friends out and go explore!

Ok, enough of that safety/preparedness stuff... I plan to hit my local spots this year, take a small group to one of my favorite state forest lands, and throw in a 2 hour hike on every family trip I take this summer. The nice thing about the woods in the summer is even if its hot outside, its always cooler and shady in the woods!
My daughter, who just turned 7 today, is really starting to like foraging with me! She has put up with going through some of the crappiest areas and conditions sometimes and still keeps smiling. I mean this is the stuff that most people would go crying home about! Mosquitos/ticks/deer and horse flies, thorn, rain, heat and humidity, steep bluffs and ravines. She has done it all. And the funniest part... she doesn't like to eat mushrooms! What a trooper! Although, I fed her a black trumpet two years ago and she hasn't stopped talking about it. Unfortunately, I don't have any good trumpet spots, and I haven't found any since.
I may host a day to "Foray" with a small group from here later summer. So keep an eye out for an opportunity to jump in on a fun day trip! Anybody else out there interested in hosting a forage day with others that have the same interest? It would be cool to have a few of them throughout the summer so everyone has an opportunity to jump in on one and meet some like-minded people. We're kind of a niche group...
Good luck out there everyone and post pictures of your finds!

I love this definition, so I figured I'd post it:

foray:
a sudden attack or incursion into enemy territory, especially to obtain spoils.

View attachment 39945
I’m kinda excited to learn more about summer shrooms. I’ve never tried for them before.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chants like mixed hardwood forests. They have a symbiotic relationship with the roots of oak trees and come back in the same places every year. They grow from the ground, not directly on wood. They have the scent of apricots. Its poisonous look-a-like is the Jack-O-Lantern. So be sure to learn the difference. Once you know, you can't mistake one for the other. They are clearly different. There are a few different types of chants, so you could come along slight variations of the same thing.
The best thing to do for summer mushrooms is get a mushroom guide book to carry around. You'll find all sorts of shrooms out there. I'm personally more about searching specifically for the edible kinds, but some people love to identify whatever they see.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Chants like mixed hardwood forests. They have a symbiotic relationship with the roots of oak trees and come back in the same places every year. They grow from the ground, not directly on wood. They have the scent of apricots. Its poisonous look-a-like is the Jack-O-Lantern. So be sure to learn the difference. Once you know, you can't mistake one for the other. They are clearly different. There are a few different types of chants, so you could come along slight variations of the same thing.
The best thing to do for summer mushrooms is get a mushroom guide book to carry around. You'll find all sorts of shrooms out there. I'm personally more about searching specifically for the edible kinds, but some people love to identify whatever they see.
Thanks for the info.
I’ll have to retrain my brain to not ignore oaks. lol

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, in summer and fall, its all about the oaks. And if you walk into a woods and don't really see too many mushrooms of any kind, don't waste too much time searching out what you're looking for. Move on to a different area of the woods or another woods all together. Here in MN chants really don't get going until mid July, and are booming in August. Not sure about south further...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ya, in summer and fall, its all about the oaks. And if you walk into a woods and don't really see too many mushrooms of any kind, don't waste too much time searching out what you're looking for. Move on to a different area of the woods or another woods all together. Here in MN chants really don't get going until mid July, and are booming in August. Not sure about south further...
If they behave like morels they we are only a week ahead of you. How long do they last once they’re up?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I’m mostly interested in chanterelles. What throws them?
Like others have said, oaks. I find mine on a mixed hardwood ridge with mostly oaks and the occasional maple or beech. Big, mature trees for the most part with a fair amount of downed timber. Chants are the only edible mushroom I've every found there until last year, when I found a fresh chicken log on my way in. I know it's fresh because I walk past that log every time, and I've been going there for years.

This place is in a public park and there's a path about the width of a sidewalk running along the ridge. You can walk that path and spot Chants left and right! Easiest gathering ever! Usually need till early July for them to be up here in NE Ohio. They seem to require some genuine heat.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If they behave like morels they we are only a week ahead of you. How long do they last once they’re up?
Early to mid july the chants start popping here in west central minnesota. Definitely look for oaks. They are yellow to white usually. But the gills tell all. Be careful of jack-o'-lanterns, and theres a yellow russula out there that looks almost identical. The gills of chanterelles are short and rigid, and will partially run down the stem. Also chants that are prime are fairly stiff and break easily. I just cruised 120 acres of private land i recently got permission for, and my goodness!! Its solid old oak hills!!! I cant wait to see the sea of yellow!!!! I also believe the boletes will be there!!!! Need rain!!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can't wait for chanterelles and hedgehogs. I find chanterelles on hillsides within 50 yards of standing water in mixed hardwood forests. I've never cared for chicken of the woods. Hopefully everyone has a good summer. For what it's worth I've put in at least 25 hours in the woods do far and I haven't found a single tick.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts