Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Clouded agaric maybe?
Question for those of you that have been at this a while... this year I've been getting sick some times after eating something made with our mushrooms. This only happened once last year and someone told me we probably didn't wash our hands between preparing and eating (at the cabin, cooking over a fire so I'd say that tracks). I know I'm eating good mushrooms and preparing them properly, and making sure to wash my hands right away after I'm done prepping so that I don't grab something to eat/drink with spore hands. I'm wondering if my new technique to prepping chicken might be the culprit...I have found this year that I prefer to break it apart into small pieces with my hands as it breaks at weak points where creepy crawlies may be but it also makes the pieces look very much like actual shredded chicken. I'm wondering if this is causing me to breath in raw spores. Thoughts? Only happened when chicken is in the mix and we ate a ton of chicken last year without this problem (except that once). One side note, subbed COTW for real chicken in a white bean chili tonight and it was rad. Till I saw it in reverse, of course. :sick:
Hey cat, we have been eating COTW for about five years no problems, then last year my wife made a casserole with COTW and she got really sick. We didn't know why. The kids and i had the same meal and were fine. Then a week later it happened again so she won't eat it anymore. I guess more for me and the kids!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
As we ageour body chemistries can change, and somethjing that we used to be able to eat, we no longer can.
Hi there - just also wanted to add that when I first started taking chickens, I was told to avoid any growing on a conifer. Deciduous are fine, but something about conifers can alter the "toxicity". Maybe it's untrue, but it's possibly an explanation to different reactions...:sick:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Hi there - just also wanted to add that when I first started taking chickens, I was told to avoid any growing on a conifer. Deciduous are fine, but something about conifers can alter the "toxicity". Maybe it's untrue, but it's possibly an explanation to different reactions...:sick:
I've heard the same thing. And when finding them on a dead log, look for knots arranged in "whorls" around the trunk since that is how the limbs grow on conifers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Question for those of you that have been at this a while... this year I've been getting sick some times after eating something made with our mushrooms. This only happened once last year and someone told me we probably didn't wash our hands between preparing and eating (at the cabin, cooking over a fire so I'd say that tracks). I know I'm eating good mushrooms and preparing them properly, and making sure to wash my hands right away after I'm done prepping so that I don't grab something to eat/drink with spore hands. I'm wondering if my new technique to prepping chicken might be the culprit...I have found this year that I prefer to break it apart into small pieces with my hands as it breaks at weak points where creepy crawlies may be but it also makes the pieces look very much like actual shredded chicken. I'm wondering if this is causing me to breath in raw spores. Thoughts? Only happened when chicken is in the mix and we ate a ton of chicken last year without this problem (except that once). One side note, subbed COTW for real chicken in a white bean chili tonight and it was rad. Till I saw it in reverse, of course. :sick:
All good responses. Another thing to look out for is enjoying alcohol while eating COTW. I have a friend that has had bad reactions when mixing the two. When eating them without a tasty beverage, she is just fine. Thankfully thats not me!:)
 
181 - 192 of 192 Posts
Top