Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Bur oak, red oak, pin oak, i have found chants, and chicken on all of them. But so far i have only found hens on red oak.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Not much for shrooms in the woods up here but i did find this little guy! View attachment 39968
Years ago, when I had my Springer Spaniel, I was taking him out for a run, and we got near the bottom corner of the property, which was kind of swampy. I saw raccoon kits climbing dead snags in that swamp once my dog entered, and I realized that mama raccoon could be close by!

So, I waded in and got the dog out of there!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Heat, mosquitoes, deer & horse flies. You have to really want chants (and other tasty summer mushrooms) to go out there. Ive tried a bunch of stuff, but end up dressing for winter...shorts, thick sweats, thermal shirt, thick sweater, surgical gloves, and a hat with bug netting. I never get bit, but I obviously get very hot. Ive found over the years its a lot like a sauna in that I got used to the heat and now actually enjoy it. I have a backpack filled with water and gatorade to stay hydrated. Its funny to run into people in the woods when its 90 degrees and high humidity and see the looks they give me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Heat, mosquitoes, deer & horse flies. You have to really want chants (and other tasty summer mushrooms) to go out there. Ive tried a bunch of stuff, but end up dressing for winter...shorts, thick sweats, thermal shirt, thick sweater, surgical gloves, and a hat with bug netting. I never get bit, but I obviously get very hot. Ive found over the years its a lot like a sauna in that I got used to the heat and now actually enjoy it. I have a backpack filled with water and gatorade to stay hydrated. Its funny to run into people in the woods when its 90 degrees and high humidity and see the looks they give me.
We have a growing population of blacke jeans and white tee she jeans and white tre bears here, and some are sows with cubs, and a few mountain lions. Im not afraid of bears, but im not going to be that guy who crawls out of the woods, half mauled. I carry a ruger 40 scr strapped to my chest, and on my back strap i carry a thermocell. That helps me with the big stuff and keeps the skeets off my back.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We have a growing population of blacke jeans and white tee she jeans and white tre bears here, and some are sows with cubs, and a few mountain lions. Im not afraid of bears, but im not going to be that guy who crawls out of the woods, half mauled. I carry a ruger 40 scr strapped to my chest, and on my back strap i carry a thermocell. That helps me with the big stuff and keeps the skeets off my back.
Lol wtf!! Thats all wrong!!! We got bears here

·
Registered
140 Posts
Im a blue jeans and white tee shirt type of guy. Plenty of OFF all over, and a wide brimmed hat help keep the bugs back.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I like the pain... When they come callin for me to return to Valhalla, I'll be ready. Lol

Besides Permethrin, I use Deep Woods Off, and have a lightweight mesh bug net coat with a fully enclosed zipped head piece big enough to go over just about any hat. When I get to the real buggy spots I throw that on.

Even on hot days, when you get into those mature woods, its so much cooler than out in the blazing sun. I find the humidity more of a problem than the heat. I just carry lots of water and a sweat rag...

·
Registered
498 Posts
I like the pain... When they come callin for me to return to Valhalla, I'll be ready. Lol

Besides Permethrin, I use Deep Woods Off, and have a lightweight mesh bug net coat with a fully enclosed zipped head piece big enough to go over just about any hat. When I get to the real buggy spots I throw that on.

Even on hot days, when you get into those mature woods, its so much cooler than out in the blazing sun. I find the humidity more of a problem than the heat. I just carry lots of water and a sweat rag...
I’m like you I find the mature woods refreshing on those hot days. Me and Lucy been finding chickens and oysters here in central Indiana no chants yet. Good luck Shrooming guys
11E9326D-3940-4D55-9489-88D1EB0B0C25.jpeg
A24834A7-338D-4014-948B-EB5C0EFC19C4.jpeg

·
Registered
140 Posts

I tried a mesh head net once, and in the deep woods it obstructed my sight, i couldn't see very well so i took it off. Haven't used it since.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I tried a mesh head net once, and in the deep woods it obstructed my sight, i couldn't see very well so i took it off. Haven't used it since.
Thats the one gripe I have about it, but most summertime shrooms are bright colored, so I make it work. I only use it in one or two places really, that are just thick with skeeters. Most of the time its not necessary though.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts