Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Crazy how dry it is around here no shrooms even after that last rain we got. Anyone else finding any chickens or oysters?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Crazy how dry it is around here no shrooms even after that last rain we got. Anyone else finding any chickens or oysters?
I haven't seen any chickens or oysters. I haven't had any dedicated hunt time in a couple weeks, but usually by this time of the year I run into a few chickens/oysters just on random hikes with the kids, etc. Outlook is pretty bleak water-wise. Something's gotta give, nature will find a way...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Out for a walk this morning in south metro suburbs. Saw this just off the walking path. Next to the cut down trunk of what I assume was an ash tree. I've never hunted oysters so I don't know if that's what it is. Did not have a licorice smell but also wasn't super fresh. In any case, an interesting find in the suburbs! Left it for Mother Nature to reclaim.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its been a crazy year, so hot here in the FOX Valley (WI) that i tried an early chant spot and found enough for dinner! This is by far the earliest I have ever found them around here. Also grabbed about 20 lbs of nice fresh oysters off of a nearly done elm. It didnt give me one morel this year, but man those oysters tasted great with butter and garlic. We just got three days of really needed rain late last week too. Maybe summer mushrooms will be looking up after all.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Its been a crazy year, so hot here in the FOX Valley (WI) that i tried an early chant spot and found enough for dinner! This is by far the earliest I have ever found them around here. Also grabbed about 20 lbs of nice fresh oysters off of a nearly done elm. It didnt give me one morel this year, but man those oysters tasted great with butter and garlic. We just got three days of really needed rain late last week too. Maybe summer mushrooms will be looking up after all.
Dang. Finally got a half inch on sunday, and already its getting dry fast.i will check out my spots next couple of days. Chants now?!?! Got me drooling! And if the scaber stalks are out in duluth, theres gotta be some bounty somewhere.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts