Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nothing exciting up in the Becker county area…finally getting a full day of rain but the next few days are going to be cooler. Hoping this warm up by the weekend brings the chants out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Raining like Crazy in Brainerd area today, but overall been way to dry. I'm hoping it will brings the Chants out at their normal...ish time but who knows. I'm seeing a lot of people around the country posting Golden Oyster flushes, have they migrated into Minnesota yet? I believe they would be an "invasive" and not a normal find around here so I didn't know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice Finds Cburta, watch those boletes. Here today, bug infested mush tomorrow. Man the grubs love those things...
On the board in Becker County…this spot is usually early, other spots haven’t produced yet. Found a few nice lobsters and a nice chicken of the woods too. Think I found a king bolete but was pretty small, still hoping to figure those ones out this year! View attachment 40112

·
Registered
16 Posts

My first blue-staining boletes! Technically edible, but jury is out.. Any of you eaten some?

Also turns out this one is probably harmful to the lovely Ash tree, as it is symbiotic with their aphid pests. 😏

·
Registered
16 Posts
On the board in Becker County…this spot is usually early, other spots haven’t produced yet. Found a few nice lobsters and a nice chicken of the woods too. Think I found a king bolete but was pretty small, still hoping to figure those ones out this year!
Would love to find some lobsters! Any pics of those? One of my new favorites in flavor. 😋

·
Registered
8 Posts
Checked some of my chanterelle spots today, Hundreds of tiny baby ones but I still found some big ones. Couple more days and it will be awesome! Top side of the bluffs by dead oaks, been so dry but the recent rains i think made them pop. Also saw a lot of past prime golden oysters, crown corals, and some unkowns

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chanterelles are popping around Duluth, but the woods seem sad and dry. I found some pretty chanterelles, plus my first lobster of the season, today but there were hardly any other mushrooms to be seen whereas last year I saw a big diversity of different boletes, Russula, etc. in the same places.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Finally caught myself a chicken this year. Also found a few chanterelles, which kept me straining looking knowing that they COULD be down there. But in the end, that’s what finally led me to the chicken, so I can’t complain.

I do have a complaint that I wonder if any others can relate to… This summer I have found more clumps of used toilet paper than mushrooms.This includes what looked like a whole roll scattered around my favorite cincinnatus tree. Some people have even left behind old socks when they apparently didn’t have tp. Every park I go to. Sorry for the disgusting rant, but it’s driving me nuts!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hey, it happens. Usually to people who almost never go on hikes. They have no idea what their bodies are about to go through. Suddenly, the urge hits! They become desperate. Anything that they can peel from their bodies is ripe to be used as a cleansing material!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ha! Yes, of course I can’t fault anyone for hearing nature’s call… Just wish they’d clean it up a bit! I think many also probably think that at 100 feet off the trail no human will ever walk there. They know not what they do to my mushroom patch!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah, that looks in real good shape. I have to check my chicken log soon to see if has flushed. Flushed for the first time last year.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts