Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pretty cool that folks are already finding Lobsters. Found a handful of nice Chanterelles in Dakota County. Hoping that little mini-soaker yesterday will usher in the summer cornucopia.

Black Raspberries and Gooseberries...

Prickly Gooseberry

Gall Dang!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Went to one of my tried and true local spots. Usually there is all kinds of shrooms, russulas, LBMs, lobsters, chants, corel, etc…. The ONLY fungus I saw at all was enough crown-tipped corel for a bowl of oriental soup. Otherwise not a single mushroom or mycelium to be seen. Hopefully in a week or two. Crazy year.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Man I didn't realize how slow the chanterelles grow, the small ones from last week are still....small. I did find some other big ones and a new small View attachment 40223 View attachment 40224 chicken as well. I also spotted the first lobsters I've seen around here this year
From what I’ve noticed, chant first flushes can grow pretty slow at the beginning of the season, and a lot of times I see those first flushes stop growing while they’re small and get old. Subsequent flushes are faster growing and get bigger.
Great finds!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Went to one of my tried and true local spots. Usually there is all kinds of shrooms, russulas, LBMs, lobsters, chants, corel, etc…. The ONLY fungus I saw at all was enough crown-tipped corel for a bowl of oriental soup. Otherwise not a single
PXL_20210719_233607628.jpg
mushroom or mycelium to be seen. Hopefully in a week or two. Crazy year.
You must be about as dry as we are here in douglas county. Going past 3 weeks without a drop. No shrooms anywhere, except this nice leatherback growing in my yard where i have been irrigating new grass seeding.

·
Registered
832 Posts
From what I’ve noticed, chant first flushes can grow pretty slow at the beginning of the season, and a lot of times I see those first flushes stop growing while they’re small and get old. Subsequent flushes are faster growing and get bigger.
Great finds!
I have found that as well. Some tiny little pins come up, and the next time you look at them they are completely dried out, and fallen over! I have never understood this, but I'm guessing that these may have flushed at a less than ideal time for the mushroom, and that's why they kacked out!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Don't know what to say, I went on another hike yesterday and there’s nothing out there. I spotted one mushroom "." This is the worst I have ever seen it.
I am trying my hand at mushroom cultivation and have started a couple liquid culture jars of golden oyster. They are doing very well, so I'll be inoculating jars of grain next week.

·
Registered
832 Posts
It's been too doggone hot and muggy to even consider going out. Also dry. Going to have a slight chance at some precip tomorrow, with a cool down coming for Friday. Little cold front on the way and temps supposed to be in the mid-70's. I'm looking at Friday AM to hike the bottom of the ridge near the creek. Figure it to be cooler and damper down there than up top.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's raining in Brainerd right now....well it was at least. Very heavy downpour, but now they say going to be 90 and humid....this summer is Whack....Whack I tells ya!

·
Registered
832 Posts
That's the rain that is supposed to hit us tomorrow! The weather guessers were calling for scattered showers and T'storms today, but never got a drop. The only T'storms that were warned for occurred well East of me. Those clouds weren't cooked up enough to be storms when they passed through here. That happened later. Seems to be happening quite a bit this year.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's the rain that is supposed to hit us tomorrow! The weather guessers were calling for scattered showers and T'storms today, but never got a drop. The only T'storms that were warned for occurred well East of me. Those clouds weren't cooked up enough to be storms when they passed through here. That happened later. Seems to be happening quite a bit this year.
Same here. Been hot and dry. The worse year for shooms i have ever seen. And very bad for farm crops. Better bag an extra deer this year, beef and pork prices are bound to go sky high.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well, the rain we were supposed to get today sure fizzled out! It seems to have gone south. There's still a severe t'storm watch up for the county south of me. So, first thing tomorrow have to water the garden again, then I'll go check the bottom of that ridge for any signs of life. At least it's supposed to be cooler tomorrow morning. Hope they didn't get that wrong as well!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The se part along the Mississippi River Valley and pretty much all the woods around here. You can spot them everywhere now even just driving around on dead elms. I notice a lot more now than 2 years ago also, I think they will eventually spread to the rest of the state that has elms.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts