Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
101 - 120 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Time to clean some more up! I guess I will try dehydrating these since I have too many already. On the golden oysters, I have found they only taste good when they're young and fresh. If they are large, or look a bit dry they don't taste too good. Like these large ones I wouldn't pick. There's a ton of different mushrooms out in the woods right now and it finally is turning into a good season around here, after the first half was so dry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Time to clean some more up! I guess I will try dehydrating these since I have too many already. On the golden oysters, I have found they only taste good when they're young and fresh. If they are large, or look a bit dry they don't taste too good. Like these large ones I wouldn't pick. There's a ton of different mushrooms out in the woods right now and it finally is turning into a good season around here, after the first half was so dry. View attachment 40340 View attachment 40341
Great finds! I find this method to work better than dehydrating chanterelles….thought I’d share

·
Registered
40 Posts
Personally, I really enjoy the dried chanterelles. Or it could be that I’ve been too lazy/busy to can them. They don’t end up with the same texture as fresh, but I’ve had good luck with the flavor. Wash first before drying. Rehydrate in a simmering pan with just enough water to cover them for 15-20 mins. Scoop out the shooms, use the liquid to flavor a sauce, and serve the whole thing with pasta. Easy meal when you’re missing those summer flavors!

If I can find more than 5 chants this year, I’d really like to try the pickle/conserve too though… wishful thinking at this time. Glad I’ve got a few dried jars right now!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Great finds! I find this method to work better than dehydrating chanterelles….thought I’d share

Interesting....my inlaws can and sell a large quantity and variaty of veggies, jams, and pickled everything. When i asked a few years ago they said their recipes said NOT to pickle mushrooms. I will definitely be trying this. Other wise i fry mine as usual (add water if nessasery, cool and bag them in their own juices, then freeze. This works fine, but im always looking for a better solution.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting....my inlaws can and sell a large quantity and variaty of veggies, jams, and pickled everything. When i asked a few years ago they said their recipes said NOT to pickle mushrooms. I will definitely be trying this. Other wise i fry mine as usual (add water if nessasery, cool and bag them in their own juices, then freeze. This works fine, but im always looking for a better solution.
I recommend this recipe for sure, simple and can be canned in a water bath.You would want to play with the ingredients a little bit to get it to a level of vinegar flavor/herbs/spices that is right for you, but it saved my butt last year when the chanterelle season was unbelievable.

Went out this week and found what probably would be my new chanterelle honey hole if it wasn’t for this drought…found probably 75 buttons that were already pretty much dried out. We just got a bunch of rain here last night in Becker county, so fingers crossed for some luck when I go out tomorrow. I’m not even seeing the random mushrooms I can’t identify scattered about like I usually do. Tough season.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would love to try both methods, but not this year im afraid. Still really dry here, and as cburta said, theres literally NO fungi anywhere edible or not. We have had only enough rain this year to keep the woods alive. Haven't mowed grass once this year!
Super scary dry summer.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Been fortunate enough to find a few smaller chickens, and went ahead with pickling a few jelly jars with this conserve recipe. I didn’t can em, just for the fridge. They are pretty tasty and go well with some eggs. Hope you all are managing a few finds yo make it through the summer!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Thanks for quoting that conserve recipe, I missed it earlier. Yes, I tried dehydrating Chants once. They lost their color, their flavor, and didn't reconstitute all that well. I have veggie garden work to do tomorrow, and cookout to attend in the evening, so I'm looking at Sunday morning to get out for another look. Had more rain this week, so maybe something is popping out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think I found bicolor bolete today, can anyone confirm? It was growing near a young white oak in woods that were mostly pines. The pores blued fast but I only saw a faint blueing of the cap flesh as I was hiking back that faded away by the time I got home. Very little scent or taste. I've never found this mushroom before and I hear it's a good edible bolete.
Mushroom Nature Leaf Natural environment Botany
Plant Food Fruit Natural foods Ingredient
Mushroom Organism Plant Terrestrial plant Fawn
Plant Food Fruit Ingredient Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think I found bicolor bolete today, can anyone confirm? It was growing near a young white oak in woods that were mostly pines. The pores blued fast but I only saw a faint blueing of the cap flesh as I was hiking back that faded away by the time I got home. Very little scent or taste. I've never found this mushroom before and I hear it's a good edible bolete.
View attachment 40467 View attachment 40468 View attachment 40469 View attachment 40470
Agree it appears to be bi-color. All I could recommend, is running through the "Bolete Filter", which you probably already have. If not, just google the "Bolete Filter". Scott Pavelle has provided it, as the best resource for learning/identifying boletes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone found or been out looking for hens yet? Last year on this day I had a great haul, though I know this year is entirely different. Might head out today if I find some time…

101 - 120 of 163 Posts